Long-Term Rehab/Treatment - Ex. on a Farm?

Old 05-16-2007, 05:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Long-Term Rehab/Treatment - Ex. on a Farm?

I was wondering if anyone has heard of these types of alternative treatment programs that are usually 4-5 months or more - Sometimes they are totally free or very modest in cost as they are funded by public donations. They usually involve some type of work study program where the patient attends AA/NA classes combined with some type of on-site or community service work. It is a residential program. I found one in GA called Bridges of Hope and another in Alabama called the New Life Center Christian Recovery Program that is 16 weeks and totally free. I have heard of similar-type "Farm" programs where the patients perform farm work combined with recovery classes. Anyone know anything about any of these types of programs or know someone who attended?
Old 05-16-2007, 06:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Someone on here had their SO go to something like that, but I will never remember who now.
Perhaps someone else will remember.
I don't think it worked out, but everyone is different.

Did you check Salvation Army? Should be an 800 number for your state.
Maybe can find on Google.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hey

i saw something similiar on intervention. it was a camp though and it was a young video game addict that went there.

check the salvation army dear.

i'm praying he gets in somewhere good very soon.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

my ex from many years ago (coke addict, not my A) went to a residential place in utah, but i'm pretty sure it cost a good deal of money. it involved being with a group that lived in the forest and in the mountains for 30 days, followed by an inpatient rehab for several months. it definitely worked for him, but i'm not sure what there is out there that's not so expensive.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

On another forum there is one woman whose bf went to one of these ...6-12 months I thought. I think she was somehow involved with the company that opperated it. Don't know much about it except that I think it was in the south,perhaps one of the Carolinas. It seemed to be a working farm operated by the people in recovery....kind of a half-way living situation where they were still recieving treatment and worked (and lived) at this farm,perhaps in "exchange" for monetary payment.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

I know of one in Oklahoma that Ive heard good things about.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

elizabeth1979, do you know the name of the program in OK?
Old 05-17-2007, 09:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Churches are to have programs, as GWBush allotted money to faith based helpers.
Call all the churches and ask.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

We have 2 types here in Massachusetss and Conn.
One is called Highwatch--in Kent Conn...it was founded by the originator of AA 'Bill" It is said he helped some wealthy woman get sober and she donated all the land to him to start a detox. It has a wonderful program-Total AA also very spiritual-eveyone has jobs on the grounds they have terrific food--I call it the luxury resort..Only problem it is like 5,000 for 3 weeks(thats what I mean about AA and involvement in their funding)Should never be that much money.

There is also a christian based farm for addicts somewhere in the Berkshires of Mass. But that is also very expensive....

Good luck Hope you find what you are looking for.....
Attached Images
File Type: gif
Cat Laying down.gif (83.6 KB, 34 views)
Old 05-18-2007, 03:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

My ex-abf, cross addicted to coke and A...he went to a farm rehab in Fl. My Dad footed the bill, 15K, he was there for 3-4 months, can't remember exactly. He did fine there, really liked it, got out, stayed sober for 3 weeks, and, then he really went down the tubes.

The secret to any recovery "clinic" is that the addict has to want soberity more than anything else in the world, I guess my ex didn't, my Dad wanted it, I wanted it, but he didn't.

Hope you find what you are looking for.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

who knows why some make it and some don't.
my AS went to all these detoxes-many run by AA 12 step big time.
none ever worked for him
medication and 1 to 1 counceling worked for him
and still is-thank God!
we are all different-so it is only natural that we would all have different ways to recovery.
Attached Images
Old 05-18-2007, 11:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am losing hope for him. I have accepted our fate in this marriage. Of course I want him to get well for him, regardless of whether we divorce or not. Sadly, at this point, he is not able to stay sober for even 1 hour of the day. He is beyond intoxicated every moment he is awake. He couldn't possibly participate in 1-on-1 counseling yet as he would show up drunk, if he showed up at all. He has no insurance, no job, no money and is on numerous waiting lists for rehabs and detox centers. He is with my MIL right now (thank God) and just about any time he leaves the house for an extended period, she gets a call from the police, etc. to pick him up for being publicly intoxicated. There is honestly no where to put him. He no more has the ability to make a rational decision than a schziophrenic that hears voices telling them what to do. Yet we can't have him committed?!? The "voices" for him is the alcohol. He is in a physical and mental health crisis.

Sadly, during his very brief coherent moments, he does say he wants to go to treatment and during those times, he also calls treatment facilities, etc. He had a phone interview this AM with a facility in AL. He stayed somewhat sober just long enough to talk on the phone and then, gone. And I mean really gone. All before 9 AM.

I doubt he will make it another year at this rate. I don't know what shape his liver is in, but from a "textbook" standpoint, he seems to be in the late stages of alcoholism. Sad. He's only 33.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

Hey WhatAboutMe,
I will see if I can find the name...although when I tried the web, I sidnt see it. I may have it somewhere though. However, my undertsanding of that program was that patients had to first got to a 28 day inpatient and then would be discharged to the farm. I know of a treatment center in colorado that sends patients with high relapse risk there..my ex was at that treatment center 3 times..I may pm you with that centers name, they could at last tell you the name of the farm in Oklahoma.

I feel for you. Sounds like my ex. Hes 30 and I remember feeling similar.
Hope you arent close to any fires, Im further south than you, and its still smoky
Old 05-18-2007, 12:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

So sorry for you and even him....I felt just like you with my AS last year-he was pretty much the same-and he is 27. In my head I was making plans for his funeral-I am not kidding you.
My doc came over and told me''it feels like a wake in this house''
she was right
it was then I decided no way no way is this gonna take my son from me
I had lost all hope like you
thats when he went into recovery
and has stayed sober
interesting?
His liver test were so bad the doc actually told him he would most likely not see 30.
they are normal now
who knows about tomorrow? Not me.
Even if your relationship is over--you are a kind woman to wish he does find recovery--even after all he has put you through.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
2006 Hugs4.gif (51.5 KB, 20 views)
Old 05-18-2007, 12:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks guys! The smoke has cleared a bit today. Yesterday, however, I could barely see 100 feet in front of my car on the way home. These fires are definitely scary!