OT-Codies and Telemarketers

Old 05-07-2007, 05:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT-Codies and Telemarketers

Just wondering how everyone deals with telemarketers. About 5 years ago, I was a telemarketers best friend. I could never say no. Then I used that feature that allowed you to block them. Now I rarely get a call, but when I do I either hang up before they say hi, say a quick thank you but no and then hang up or I just hang up. I am proud to say that except for a local charity, I no longer give to telemarketers. Saves a few bucks Marle
Old 05-07-2007, 05:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
grateful rca

thats funny marle, i do the same thing as you. never thought about giving to them, i always basically thought that they were scams so i'd do what you do. hang up. don't get that many calls anymore, i'm on the internet all the time, either me or the kids and we have dial up still
Old 05-07-2007, 05:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress....

I do the same-say 'no, thanks, I'm not interested' and hang up before they get a chance to start.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

One time I told a telemarketer that I was "busy at the moment but I can call you back. What's your name and number?" He hung up real quick, lol.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

I say...(it's kind of cruel....) could you hold on a minute?
Then I never come back to the phone....

(I know mean, mean, mean....)
Old 05-07-2007, 05:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You guys are giving me some good ideas Marle
Old 05-07-2007, 05:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

I've tried this one too:

I'm kind of busy right now,
could you please give me your home number,
and I'll call you back?

They usually hang up ON ME!
Old 05-08-2007, 05:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ohhh....we make it fun.......we adopt accents and become different people. Once my husband picked on this poor guy for 5 minutes before the guy hung up. My husband accused him of asking me what kind of lingerie I was wearing. Of course I wasn't wearing lingerie but the guy on the other end was just speechless and didn't know what to do. It was hilarious.

My husband also does that with wrong numbers. He'll pretend to be whoever they are calling for and see how long he can get them going before they figure out they've got the wrong number. Once we did that with this guy and the guy finally figured it out and then wanted to get together with my husband and I for dinner at a resturant. The guy thought it was hilarious that my husband did that......

Oh the fun we can have when he's clean....
Old 05-08-2007, 06:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nice to know Im not the only one who picks on telemarketers. LOL. At one time or another Ive been guilty of all of the above.

Ive always been able to say no. Its just that when I was younger It took me longer. I didnt like to interrupt. Not polite. I know. But I didnt want to hurt their feelings. LOL. So I always tried to say no gently.

Now is another story. I usually dont take the calls cause I have caller id. But every once and awhile one sneaks in. If theyre the pushy type and wont take no for an answer then I feel free to pick on them or just hang up. Sometimes I just lay the phone down and walk off. I fiqure if theyre that determined to give me their spiel then who am I to deprive them of their fun.

I always give them a chance first tho. A lot of telemarketers are just people with no job skills trying to make a living the only way they can. Telemarketers got kids to feed too. LOL. They might even be a potential club member.

I usually say something like thank you so much for calling. Its so nice of you to think of me but Im really not interested. No I dont want a free trial but it really is very nice of you to offer. Thank you so much for thinking of me. Please dont waste your time callin me again. I dont have any money and I never buy anything. Then I say goodbye and have a nice day etc. Then if they act up whatever happens to them is on them. LOL.

I shouldnt admit this. But back in the day when all the crap with Elvis first started I did kinda take my frustrations out on quite a few telemarketers. Only the snippy ones tho.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
let it grow!

i don't struggle with telemarketers. i've done enough phone sales myself to know that they will just hang up and move to their next victim..ha! k
Old 05-08-2007, 07:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I did the block thing and get primarily requests for charity donations. I stop them in the middle of their speech and ask "What percentage of the donations actually gets to the people?" Get this...most of them are 15%!! At that point I say I'm not interested and hang up.
Susie