Notices

the 13th Steppers...

Old 04-27-2007, 06:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

the 13th Steppers...

For all of those that are new here, and for those that just don't know, the 13th step refers to sick individuals that use the pretense of AA / Helping someone deal with their issues in order to seek sex and/or relationships with them.

It is imperative that you be aware that not everyone out on the internet and at meetings, etc., is genuinely there to become sober and to help others to become sober. Some people, in their sickness, attempt to capitalize on those that are struggling so as to find easy targets for dating and/or sex.

This type of conduct is NEVER condoned in AA or on this site; however, while it is not condoned, that doesn't mean that some of these slippery little suckers don't end up on this site or in AA. They do.

Due to that sad reality, it is imperative that you be VERY careful about the information that you share with people about yourself. Take your time in getting to know people. DO NOT rush to meet someone in person, go to a meeting instead where people with long term sobriety are watching for these types of slugs and predators. DO NOT exchange your personal information UNLESS you are absolutely sure about who you are dealing with and can trust them.

AND as always, if you are confronted by this type of conduct, notify the moderators or greeters so that we can deal with this type of conduct immediately. That is the only way we can root out these types of characters and deal with them.

Peace, Levi
Old 04-27-2007, 06:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

The only Problem that I have with this issue is that.....

Like our preamble says, If it isn't in the NA/AA Books than it Probably isn't the Program. I have never seen anywhere in the first 164 Pages of AA Big Book nor the first 103 Pages of the NA Basic Text that refer to 13 step. I believe that this isn't part of the Program IMO with all respect here! We have a 12 Step Program and if we work the steps than we won't have to worry about issues such as this.

That is why we have a IP Pamplet that states men with men and women with women. Just my 2 cents.

Oh yeah it is a joke around outside of the rooms Two Steppers, Steps 1 and 12 = 13
Old 04-27-2007, 06:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

the 13th Step isn't in the big book b/c no one thought of it or there would likely be a chapter warning others of this type of crap.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Lot of pain here regarding 13th Stepping....

Did it....

Been done too.....

Relationships busted wide open......................

No, there is not a 13th Step officially....but the action exists.

Sick...hurtful.....damaging. That's all I can share about it for

now.

Memories are still too fesh and painful.

Love,

Sherry
Old 04-27-2007, 06:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Yep it has happened to me also and is a matter of fact I think, someone in a meeting the other day said that Bill W. had a affair with someone in the meetings when they first started AA. WOW I guess we are all a little sick
Old 04-27-2007, 06:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dom
Inspired

Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Yep it has happened to me also and is a matter of fact I think, someone in a meeting the other day said that Bill W. had a affair with someone in the meetings when they first started AA. WOW I guess we are all a little sick
LOL. Attraction to our sober friends is a bi-product of our progress. I wish all men would stick with men and women with women, there would be many less problems that way. To me, 13th steppers are a danger to the fellowship as a whole.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Some are sicker than others..................
Old 04-27-2007, 06:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had no idea about any of this. I thought I was safe. Finally safe. Now it seems I am not. There is nowhere left for me to turn now.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Pilgrim I had no idea about any of this. I thought I was safe. Finally safe. Now it seems I am not. There is nowhere left for me to turn now.
Don't think that it isn't really a big issue you can usually tell who are there for a meeting and who just has other things on there agenda

Don't let this deter you from meetings Please!

I was even wondering why this should have been posted in the Newcomers forum for they have a lot of other issues just getting clean than to hear this stuff but again that is just IMO

With Love and Respect

Vic
Old 04-27-2007, 06:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Chance....

Because newcomers are usually the ones that are "hit on".

It's best to meet the problem head on and deal with it.

IMO........due to experience.

Love,

Sherry
Old 04-27-2007, 07:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
I had no idea about any of this. I thought I was safe. Finally safe. Now it seems I am not. There is nowhere left for me to turn now.
unfortunately there are lowlifes everywhere...churches, businesses, AA...part of the whole good/evil humanity thing I guess...

don't let the actions of a few deter you Steph...we all have an inbuilt BS meter, and it's pretty important we use it, especially in times where we're healing...I still believe the human race is mostly good !
D
Old 04-27-2007, 07:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Nooooooooo. Not again. Make sure he sees the damage. I was overcoming past sexual abuse, abandonment, fear of loneliness. I have bared my heart and soul in the hope of recovering and finding happiness. He knows EVERYTHING. Meetings? Looking around the room wondering who is there to hear my truth for bad reasons? SR?

No thanks. The bottle is more honest.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I feel like this was my last chance
Old 04-27-2007, 07:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

There is no need to turn away from SR or meetings.

MOST of the people you meet at meetings and at SR will be decent people who are trying to get better. But, as everywhere in life, there are some who are very sick. It's always wise to be cautious, that's all and to take care of yourself. We all work very hard to keep SR a safe place.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Steph,
Stick with the women in the meetings or go to women's meetings. I have found this to be the best answer for women new to AA and don't feel they are in a place that they are able to deal with the risks that come along with men.
You can still do this! It is possible.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

my husband is the addict in my life, I hope you all dont mind my response here..........

occassionally I go to the NA meetings with my AH when we plan to go to dinner or something with others from the meeting.
Anyhow, I made a comment one night that I really did not like how so many there seemed to be more interested in flirting or hittting on some of the women than they were in recovery.
Those in the group we were with many with alot of clean time said, thats why its men with men and women with women.............but one of the young guys said..........."plus the odds are good but the goods are odd"

I let it go and later asked my husband what that meant and he said that so many of those women come in on a bus and are court order from a womens center.........that many are not clean or sober and that alot of guys KNOW that theres a very good chance they will .........well you know.....thay they are easy and some are still hooking for drugs...........

To me this is sad, that even if court ordered theres a chance some of these women could get clean yet theres scum there at the meeting waiting to pounce and even encourage drug use all for sex.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Nooooooooo. Not again. Make sure he sees the damage. I was overcoming past sexual abuse, abandonment, fear of loneliness. I have bared my heart and soul in the hope of recovering and finding happiness. He knows EVERYTHING. Meetings? Looking around the room wondering who is there to hear my truth for bad reasons? SR?

No thanks. The bottle is more honest.
that's BS Steph. The bottle lies more than any human I've ever met - there *are* good people - but there are no good outcomes from going back to the booze.

Don't let the little voice inside twist some sicko's actions into an excuse for you to drink. Read some of your recent posts - you felt good. You met challenges, faced them and you beat them. That wasn't a lie.

D
Old 04-27-2007, 07:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Midas

Like Anna says, there should be no cause for alarm. This is not a reason to stop attending meetings or to stop coming to SR for support. We recognize the concern, however, and that is why moderators like myself and Anna are here.

We value our members and their safety.

Please, for your own benefit, we recommend that you read the new WARNING note that is posted at the top of this forum, if you haven't already done so.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...predators.html

Members who are caught engaging in behavior that is inappropriate (such as trolling, stalking, and other forms of harassment) will face harsh consequences, up to and including permanent banishment from this website forum, either with or without fair warning.

Old 04-27-2007, 07:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by hopeOct31 View Post
Steph,
Stick with the women in the meetings or go to women's meetings. I have found this to be the best answer for women new to AA and don't feel they are in a place that they are able to deal with the risks that come along with men.
You can still do this! It is possible.
I think this is sensible advice for anyone worried after recent events...

be careful by all means, wherever you are, but please don't lets panic...

this is a *great* place and I really treasure the friends I've made here...and one lowlife doesn't change that...

D
Old 04-27-2007, 07:48 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
IO Storm

I have been PM'd by many men here on SR in the past under

my old name...but even more since I rejoined the first of March.

I will vow and attest that I have been treated with dignity

and given respect by each male who has spoken with me

personally. Every time. I have made so many new friends

without fear...and I cherish each one of you guys.

Pilgrim?

Have you been treated disrepectfully or are you just looking for

an alibi ...excuse to drink? Honestly hon...I'm not sure what

is going on with you, sounds like you're setting yourself up.

We can never blame our drinking or relapses on any other person

or their actions. To believe this lie is to be open to relapse after

relapse. I know. I did that 6 times.

Love,

Sherry