Notices

New here

Old 04-01-2007, 01:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here

Hi there.

I'm "new" to recovery, having basically scared myself into an attempt at sobriety. But I've had problems getting sober...

1. Changing my lifestyle from one that revolves around drinking is difficult. I don't have many alternatives.

2. If I go to an AA meeting, I'm almost always the youngest person there (even though I'm 36). I invariably end up in a situation where old woman are talking about their neighborhood nonsense while I'm sitting there thinking "why am I here?"

Does anyone else have this problem? I hate to complain, but it is frustrating trying to find a good meeting and support.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome to sr, silas...........i don't have any advice about meetings, but i'm sure someone will come along who does.........just wanted to say hello and congrats on trying to quit, if you read some of the threads here you will find a lot of inspiration.........good luck and keep posting......

ayla
Old 04-01-2007, 02:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by Silas1066 View Post
Hi there.

I'm "new" to recovery, having basically scared myself into an attempt at sobriety. But I've had problems getting sober...

1. Changing my lifestyle from one that revolves around drinking is difficult. I don't have many alternatives.

2. If I go to an AA meeting, I'm almost always the youngest person there (even though I'm 36). I invariably end up in a situation where old woman are talking about their neighborhood nonsense while I'm sitting there thinking "why am I here?"

Does anyone else have this problem? I hate to complain, but it is frustrating trying to find a good meeting and support.
Silas, funny thing, i think i just met me 20 years ago. I was in the exact same position. I couldn't imagine how i was going to fill up my time. every bit of socializing I did involved drinking. some of the meetings i went to had people there who i couldn't identify with. very frustrating eh?

don't worry about complaining. if nobody ever compained about their lives on the site, it wouldn't exist. Now all we, and i mean we, have to do is talk it out. we can do that by making suggestions and getting your input. we can only help you if you will help us. got it?

Very briefly, i used to live in new orleans and traveled to lafayette many time. i know it has grown tremendously since i've been gone (19 years). I know there must be other meetings you can go to. No, NO, don't tell me there aren't and don't tell me they're inconvenient and don't give that, "but... There are other meetings. since you are already familiar with AA get your a55 to one. if you don't like that one, find another. But don't use the cop-out of not liking any meeting on order to avoid them.

Next, sooner or later your lifestyle and playmates WILL have to change. But don't worry about that now. just find another meeting, ,make a commitment to go. We'll be here to help..

Welcome to SR. We're happy you're here.

Still suckin' crawfish heads here in Tennessee,
steady eddie
Old 04-01-2007, 02:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanks for the support eddie.

I'm going to head out to a meeting tonight and see how it goes.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Hi Silas glad you are here. I dont know much about about meetings as I am going to my very first one tomorrow. I'm the type that gets a kick out of people watching. But I know what you mean. Hope you stick around...Lots of support here.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
welcome74.gif (8.5 KB, 41 views)
Old 04-01-2007, 03:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Silas,

Welcome!

I don't go to meetings myself, but I do know that changing lifestyle was crucial for me to stop drinking. I had to change friends and daily routines and really work at it every day in order to stay sober. I needed to make some very hard choices, but that was necessary for me.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Silas,

I'm glad you're here!

My advice? Keep an open mind, and get to as many meetings as you can. Do your very best not to seek differences (age, gender) - some of my best friends in AA are much older than me. We may not share a lot of interests socially, but we have a common goal - that being recovery.

This site is wonderful - please visit often!

Rowan

Last edited by Rowan; 02-05-2008 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome!

I suggest you try different meetings ...look for
Speakers Meetings or Beginners.

Lifestyles changes?
Yes, I had to make many for my recovery.
And I have not regretted a one.

Have you told others you are trying sobriety?
People can't support you if they don't know.

Keep in focus and keep posting
Old 04-01-2007, 05:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Silas,

Oh how I love Lafayette! I went to Breaux Bridge every year I could for the Crawfish festival and one year came back to Texas with more than I bargained for - a cajun husband. Moved to Lafayette for a year - was a total disaster - he was a raging alcholic. I was a codie and adopted an if I can't control him I might as well join him and ended up outdrinking him. Moved back to Texas in 2001, got sober in 2004. I still miss the cajun people, music, food, accents etc.

Anyway, I digress. Sorry LOL! Now, I know Lafayette is big enough and there is enough access to alcohol that I bet there are tons of AA meetings. If the ones you are finding are too old for you, get on the net and look up some others. Check out LSU and see if they have any on campus. I guarantee they won't be older than you! (While you're there, feed the ducks for me please!!!)

If you can't find what you're looking for in Lafayette (doubtful in my opinion) look to the little outside towns like Breaux Bridge, Broussard, Opelousas, Crowley etc. You get the picture.

Most importantly, instead of focusing on their ages and looking for the ways they are different or you don't fit in, listen for the similarities. Listen to the way they talk about alcohol and how it has affected them. Listen to them tell you how alcohol kicked their *ss, almost killed them, took them down roads they never imagined. Really listen to them and look for ways in which their experiences model your own.

Find a meeting you think you might like to make a regular one and get there a little bit early, stay over a little bit, when they ask who is new raise your hand and say hi. Let them reach out. You don't have to tell your life story (or tell them anything) but if you can at least let them know you're new and you're nervous they will probably break their necks trying to help you feel comfortable.

Don't give up and once again, welcome to SR. It is great but I think that face to face support (at least for this alcoholic) was crucial. Both is ever better!!!!!

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 04-01-2007, 05:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Im Sharon and Im an Alcoholic.

Nice to meet u Silas...

I hear u loud and clear when i read
ur post...Why, because i felt the same
way as u 16 yrs ago when i entered
recovery.

I just moved back home here in Baton
Rouge after living in Houston 10 yrs.

This is where i got sober and this is
where my AA family lives.....

In Feb 90 I had a horrible accident where
i ran off the road hitting a concrete
culvert sitting on top the ground. I spent
28 days in the hospital getting my puncture
spleen removed . I was a pretty messed up
from that accident.

After a few months healing pretty well, i
picked up a drink and spiraled out of
contro trying to end my misery.

A family intervention took place sending
me to rehab via the back of a police car...

There i spent 28 days in treatment recieving
the tools and knowledge of my disease and
recovery.

I went to meeting after meeting, listening,
and absorbing all that i could even if i didnt
quite understand....

Even tho i felt like the youngest person
in thos meetings, i still listened and took
the suggestion so freely passed on to me
as my life depended on it .....

All those "old-timers" in those meetings became
my mentors.... It was neat to have them
before me to guide me on the road of recovery.

Hang in there and message me anytime.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I'm Batman

Hey all, not really sure what to do on here, but I am new too. I can't make it to a meeting today...which sucks cause today is day 60...but thought this would do well for me also.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

hi silas and phazer,

Welcome to SR and congrats on 60 days phazer that is huge

I agree with Carol's advice earlier. Keep on coming back and keep on posting/talking one day at a time.

Kevin
Old 04-01-2007, 06:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I'm Batman

thanks Nogard. 60 feels real big...wish I was able to get my chip tonight though. It'll wait for me though huh?
Old 04-01-2007, 06:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

yep phazer, your chip will always be there and you can enjoy it all the longer

Thanks for sharing it with me.

Kevin
Old 04-01-2007, 06:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi there! I just wanted to welcome you to SR. I don't have any advice on meetings but I just wanted to welcome you.

You have totally change you routine, habits and everything like having a brand new life!

Welcome
Michelle
Old 04-02-2007, 06:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by phazer View Post
Hey all, not really sure what to do on here, but I am new too. I can't make it to a meeting today...which sucks cause today is day 60...but thought this would do well for me also.
Phazer,

Welcome to SR. For an alcoholic, 60 days is a miracle. Congratulations!!!! Your chip will always be there, and who knows, you may be picking up a 90 day chip at the same time. I do hope though that you will be back to AA in between. In the meantime, remember how you got where you are. Keep it up!!

Steady Eddie
Old 04-02-2007, 06:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
let it grow!

welcome silas and phazer,

it's nice to meet both of you! keep posting! k
Old 04-02-2007, 05:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

phazer...Welcome to SR!

Way to go on your sober time...
pick up the hard earned chip when you next go.

Blessings