Thread: New here
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2007, 02:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Golfman

Wink

Originally Posted by Silas1066 View Post
Hi there.

I'm "new" to recovery, having basically scared myself into an attempt at sobriety. But I've had problems getting sober...

1. Changing my lifestyle from one that revolves around drinking is difficult. I don't have many alternatives.

2. If I go to an AA meeting, I'm almost always the youngest person there (even though I'm 36). I invariably end up in a situation where old woman are talking about their neighborhood nonsense while I'm sitting there thinking "why am I here?"

Does anyone else have this problem? I hate to complain, but it is frustrating trying to find a good meeting and support.
Silas, funny thing, i think i just met me 20 years ago. I was in the exact same position. I couldn't imagine how i was going to fill up my time. every bit of socializing I did involved drinking. some of the meetings i went to had people there who i couldn't identify with. very frustrating eh?

don't worry about complaining. if nobody ever compained about their lives on the site, it wouldn't exist. Now all we, and i mean we, have to do is talk it out. we can do that by making suggestions and getting your input. we can only help you if you will help us. got it?

Very briefly, i used to live in new orleans and traveled to lafayette many time. i know it has grown tremendously since i've been gone (19 years). I know there must be other meetings you can go to. No, NO, don't tell me there aren't and don't tell me they're inconvenient and don't give that, "but... There are other meetings. since you are already familiar with AA get your a55 to one. if you don't like that one, find another. But don't use the cop-out of not liking any meeting on order to avoid them.

Next, sooner or later your lifestyle and playmates WILL have to change. But don't worry about that now. just find another meeting, ,make a commitment to go. We'll be here to help..

Welcome to SR. We're happy you're here.

Still suckin' crawfish heads here in Tennessee,
steady eddie