Notices

I'm not sure how to

Old 03-21-2007, 09:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm not sure how to

I do know the drinkin' is such a part of my world. Seems everybody I know drinks. Everybody I work with. It's just what we do.

If sales was high at work, we drink to celebrate. If it was not such a good day, we drink to forget. It don't matter, we drink.

If we go shoppin', open that bottle, makes it easier to spend money. Eatin' in place that don't serve mixed drinks is totally not an option. Go to the movies, slip a bottle in with ya.

Drink, drink and drink some more.

Only I cannot handle this life anymore.

Now I can't just up and move. I guess I could give up some of my friends but some I think I could never give. up.

I really don't know how to go about this. But I do know I'm gonna find a way.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Peace begins with a smile

My experience with alcohol was very similar to yours.

When I got to the point where I didn't believe I could live that life/way anymore, I became willing to do anything to live another way of life. I got that gift in the halls of Alcholics Anonymous- which by the way, turned out to be everything but what I had previously conceived it to be. This is my experience. It's there for you, if you want it... (as a number of other programs). Keep reading and posting.

And welcome!
Anna
Old 03-21-2007, 10:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
let it grow!

hey starlite, i know when my daughter first decided to quit drinking, it was really hard for her to imagine her life without it - her friends, her social life, her things to do and places to go, etc. then, she just had to decide to take it one day at a time. she quit worrying so much about the next sat night, the next wedding invite, the next friend call to come out to a party. she got busy in aa and started to find new activities and friends. it just takes time. don't get too far ahead of yourself right now, today is all that matters. hope this helps, blessings - k
Old 03-21-2007, 10:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Starlife, Welcome !

I was at the point where it didn't matter what happened. No Fun ? No Freinds ? Whatever, I HAD to quit drinking, and I couldn't do it.

There are worse things in life than losing a drinking buddy. I know from first hand experience.

Good Luck and God Bless
Old 03-21-2007, 10:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

she got busy in aa and started to find new activities and friends. it just takes time.
That was my experience, too. An oldtimer once said, "When you take the alcohol away from the alcoholic, you'd better have something to replace it." Many of us find all the answers we need through the AA program of recovery. I sincerely hope you will, as well.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So what I'm gettin' here is meetings/aa. And, I'm just not sure that is an option for me right now. No transportation.

I get picked up at 7:15 for work and get dropped around 6:15. There probably might be some AA meetings around here but I'm kinda stuck right now.

Surely there are other ways.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Drinking "treats" our alcoholism & our minds.

Putting the plug in the jug solves little, we are the same, now w/o alcohol.

So, sober, we attempt life, w/o our "treatment".

As restless, irritable & discontent, it's our disatisfied minds.

We need to build a whole new character.

There IS life w/o alcohol, and the "friends" who come along w/o it.

I need to build a whole new character.

And it's an amazing process. A darn good one. Sober!!!
Old 03-21-2007, 12:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Starlite Dawn,

I am a greatful member of AA. If you look in the phone book you will find the phone number. Call them they will find a meeting close to you with the right times and even have someone pick you up.

When you are ready to do whatever it takes you will call AA.

To drink is to die. If I pick up the first drink, I might not get the 3rd chance, and I will die a miserable death.

I have been sober 11 1/2 months the hardest part is calling. Once you reach out for help, you will be given the tools to suceed.

Keep coming back to forum and let us know how you are doing.

Good Luck
Old 03-21-2007, 01:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There are online meetings that you can attend too. Some are by text chat, but some are throught he use of voice software that is free. Life ring has some online meetings. I think smart recovery does too.

However, the idea of calling AA is a good one too. I am certain they would be able to find someone that could give you a lift to the meeting.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
let it grow!

agree with kristen - don't let no ride keep you from aa. my daughter cannot drive, and she finds rides through other members, etc.

you'll know when you're ready. but there is a way!

blessings, k
Old 03-21-2007, 05:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just not really sure I wanna do AA. My life is extremely hetic. I don't know that I can even take on anything else, even if I could find a ride. And to be real honest, where I live, I'm just not sure that is an option. Plus my commumity is very, very small. I really don't know that I want to announce to all the good folks that I'm a low life drunk.

I'm just startin' to look for answers. This is the first place I've come to. I do like the idea of online meetings. That is certainly an option.

Alls I know is I've decided I don't want this life no more but ..............

I'm sorry, I have failed this evening. It was all in my face. I tried, I did. I am weak.

But I truly do thank ya'll for your help.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Lack of power is my dilemma.........you too?
Old 03-21-2007, 09:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by starlite dawn View Post
So what I'm gettin' here is meetings/aa. And, I'm just not sure that is an option for me right now. No transportation.

I get picked up at 7:15 for work and get dropped around 6:15. There probably might be some AA meetings around here but I'm kinda stuck right now.

Surely there are other ways.
I walked or took the bus or bummed a ride for the first 30-45 days,
Old 03-22-2007, 04:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
let it grow!

thinking about you, starlite - please don't lose hope. recovery isn't always easy, but it is possible. keep posting, k
Old 03-22-2007, 04:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
sicker than others

you might e surprised if you go to a meeting... everyone there is ther for the same thing. people will pick u up..you should try it.. I think you'll be surprised.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

star
I really don't know how to go about this. But I do know I'm gonna find a way.
star, thats your first start... seek, and you shall find...

never give up...

the afliction will want you to tho...

find the power...

welcome, and all the best of wishes to you our friend...

xxoo, rz
Old 03-22-2007, 05:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

For me, admitting it was a big relief. Especially to my family. It helped me to accept that tht problem was real.

I knew it was real, you know it is real. So what if someone finds out.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:36 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
cunning. baffling. powerful.

Plus my commumity is very, very small. I really don't know that I want to announce to all the good folks that I'm a low life drunk.
Well, you could always admit to being a very intelligent, refined, and sophisticated drunk instead. That's what I did.

If there's one thing I've figured out so far - it's that alcoholism is one size fits all. I'm a medical student and an active member of my church. I do a lot of local volunteer work. I've never been much into the rowdy social bar scene here on campus because my idea of a pleasant evening involves stacks of thick textbooks and a bottle of vodka. (I like to drink while I study) That certainly doesn't fit any stereotype of a drunk I've ever heard of, but so what? When I showed up at AA for the first time I found myself sitting in a room with all kinds of people from all walks of life (including a few of my professors!) who had the exact same problem I did.

As for timing and rides? It wasn't easy, but after much experimenting with different meeting times I managed to work it so that I could fit regular AA meetings into my school schedule. My classes run from 7:30am to 5pm everyday plus homework, clinical rotations, and preparing for exams. If I can fit it in... I think anyone can.

The important thing to realize is that people at AA meetings want you there. Even if they haven't met you yet - if you're out there and you want to quit drinking - then they already want you to show up. So rides to meetings are freely and generously offered because not only does it help the rider quit drinking, it helps the driver stay sober.

Good Luck
-e
Old 03-22-2007, 09:05 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Peace begins with a smile

Just not really sure I wanna do AA. My life is extremely hetic. I don't know that I can even take on anything else, even if I could find a ride. And to be real honest, where I live, I'm just not sure that is an option. Plus my commumity is very, very small. I really don't know that I want to announce to all the good folks that I'm a low life drunk.

I'm just startin' to look for answers. This is the first place I've come to. I do like the idea of online meetings. That is certainly an option.

Alls I know is I've decided I don't want this life no more but ..............

I'm sorry, I have failed this evening. It was all in my face. I tried, I did. I am weak.

But I truly do thank ya'll for your help.
I'm pretty sure most people aren't thrilled upon the realization that they might have to attend AA meetings to get and stay sober. That's why I tried everything else first... .bf, new job, new car, controlled drinking, switching drinks, only on weekends. etc. I don't know anyone that came skipping in, as if that was THE best place to be. Of course you don't WANT to go to AA. Your mind, which is controlled by the booze, is telling YOU, you don't want to. But look deep inside for the honest part of your soul that exists. Ask to get out of your own way...

If your life is too hectic to fit AA in, well I've been there, too. And then one day when I had enough.. I realized AA needed to come first in my life.. because without it.. I could lose everything thereafter. Without sobriety, I don't have a job, social life, family, etc. Those things are gifts of sobriety. Sobriety is the #1 slot for me. Basically, it all came down to the admission that I couldn't fight this battle on my own anymore. My way DIDN'T work. But there were thousands of others out there that were sober and happy. What was it that they were doing that I had never tried?

As for announcing it to the town, you wouldn't be. It's an anonymous program. And anyone you see there who knows you will be there for the same reason. If they were to "out" you... they would be outing themselves. Lastly, most people around us know we have a drinking problem long before we do.

I wish you the best..
Anna
Old 03-22-2007, 10:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Okay so I did find out about meetings in my area. I live in the boonies by the way.

39 miles ones way and they start at 8:00 p.m.. I just don't know if that's doable. Gonna check some more.

And St. Kurt I like your description of a drunk way better than mine.

Many thanks to all of you.