Notices

I'm not sure how to

Old 03-22-2007, 10:44 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

A good way to get to the meetings beside the ones mentioned already, is to put the same amount of effort in getting to the meetings as you did drinking. Hugs!!
You can do it!!
Old 03-22-2007, 11:04 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

starlite, try to make it to a meeting. Chances are that there are some people in the group who live near you, and would be more than happy to give you a ride. I put off AA for years. I finally went to my 1st meeting last week, and the feeling of warmth and acceptance was overwhelming. As for losing a few drinking buddies, you will quickly replace them with many more people just like you, who just want to QUIT drinking.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:35 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

TJ, hon, there is no effort that goes into my drinkin'. I'm afraid that is the reason I'm where I am today.

My s/o (also my very best friend) is the one that taught me to drink. I was a real quick study but until he came along I might drink a beer a month, maybe. I'm not a beer drinker. He introduced me to Crown and the love affair began.

He buys it so I spend no money. It's just always there. Like an endless supply.

And as far as loosin' drinkin' buddies, not an option when it comes to him. Now he has no problem with me wantin' to stop. He see how bad it hurts me. But I don't need to expect him too.

That's where it's so hard me. He drinks and it's there. Lord know I want it.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:01 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by starlite dawn View Post
TJ, hon, there is no effort that goes into my drinkin'. I'm afraid that is the reason I'm where I am today.

My s/o (also my very best friend) is the one that taught me to drink. I was a real quick study but until he came along I might drink a beer a month, maybe. I'm not a beer drinker. He introduced me to Crown and the love affair began.

He buys it so I spend no money. It's just always there. Like an endless supply.

And as far as loosin' drinkin' buddies, not an option when it comes to him. Now he has no problem with me wantin' to stop. He see how bad it hurts me. But I don't need to expect him too.

That's where it's so hard me. He drinks and it's there. Lord know I want it.

I was told that in order to get and remain sober, I had to rid myself of all drinking buddies. I struggled with that, as well. I said "Ah,.......pfft,...they dont really mean ALL drinking buddies..." I kept on failing until I finally said to myself "Huh,.....maybe they do mean ALL drinking buddies" Ive been sober for over three years since I had that revelation. It also sounds, to me, like your husband is a HUGE enabler in your drinking and will remain that way unless you get help. He may also have a drinking problem.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:03 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

online meetings are a great form of supplemental support, but, one on one contact with real live humans at a real live meeting is so important.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:32 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

You are so right about my s/o. He'll tell you right quick he has a drinkin' problem. He just don't care to do anything about it. It don't hurt him like it does me. So he just drinks and drinks.

And yes, he is an enabler big time.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:57 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

hi, starlite.....i don't do meetings.....so i can't give you any advice there......but i wanted to say that it's not impossible to stop drinking even when everyone drinks around you, it just takes strength and courage, which you obviously have.....just admitting that your drinking is a problem is a huge act of courage.......and posting it here.....my hands were shaking when i first posted that i was and addict........it was one of the most frightening things i can remember doing.........

ayla
Old 03-23-2007, 02:13 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
dum vita est spes est

SL,
Would you rather me remove your heart or your lungs? Neither right, you need both to live - what a dumb question.

Funny thing is, that's how the question, "Would you rather be free or continue drinking?" sounded to me at first. "Well," I thought, "I need to be free in order to make that choice so I need both." But I wasn't free, nor was I making a choice, alcohol was making my choice for me - under the guise that it was as essential to my life as any major organ.

But when I had a beer-ectomy, I found I could function without it, better in fact - like I had been walking around with lead shoes on and given a pair of new kicks made out of the finest materials money could buy.

So the question remains, how badly to you want to be sober? Is it more than you want to drink? If not, you'll continue to drink.

Blessings,
PR