I'm out of here...

Old 02-20-2007, 10:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Who can I trust?

I'm out of here...

Ok, after a few mnths of hard painfull thought, I have decided that I am going to enlist into the Marines. I've been thinking about this long and hard and I feel it is the right thing to do. I sat my mother down and talked to her about it. She balled out in tears. Shes totaly against it. She went on saying that is it a selffish thing for me to do. My closest friend agrees.

I figured the 2 most influential ppl. in my life would understand. I havent rushed into this or made the decision rashly. But hearing from mmy mother and my frined Jacqui that its a selfish decision really hurts.

Any views?

Ooh yea, I told my older brother too and he said do what you feel you have to do. He went and told my father who is the alkie and he was all happy just bcuz he then wont have to deal with the child support payments that he must pay since I am currently a full time student. Kinda sucky to know that he views me a a finacial burden and not his child.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi TimTim, Sorry pal, I feel you are not ready for this yet.
What about rise and shine every day at an early hour. Have you talked to anyone that has taken the training.
After saying that I must add this just my feeling, you need to go with your gut.
Have you run races, worked construction, like being out in all kinds of weather? OK with sunburn and windburn.? Whataya think?

Caring hugs
Old 02-21-2007, 12:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you wish to continue your education, the military will assist you. My AH received his graduate degree courtesy of the Army. We have a Marine Corps Air Station here in Yuma, and it is awesome to see these young men and women in full dress blues. There is nothing better looking than a Marine!

Don't go into the military just to escape a bad situation. However, you are going to get the pro-military bias from me. My grandad was a "lifer," my uncle was West Point, my father-in-law was West Point, my dad was a tech sergeant, and my AH is a lieutenant colonel. You will come out in the best physical shape of your life, you will learn to work as a team member, and you will not hesitate to risk your life, and possibly give it, for your fellow soldiers and your country. Some people may feel that is folly, but those men live everyday protecting my freedom to say what I wish.

My husband is a very sick man now, but before the addiction destroyed him, he was a darn good soldier who could handle very stressful situations adeptly and without falling apart under the pressure.

This is your life. Perhaps you should speak to a recruiter. I've met quite a few recruiters and they do NOT force anyone to join. In fact, they have found that the parents are the ones who are hesitant and worried - not the young man or woman who wishes to serve with honor.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

My ex-hubby was a marine, in was in 8 years, it was the springboard to his future. The disapline he developed over those 8 years, helped him throughout his life. It helped him to mature. He was 17 when he enlisted, and said for him,it was a defining moment.

I have no advice, talking to a recruiter sounds like a good suggestion.

Semper Fi!
Old 02-21-2007, 04:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Have you looked into the other service branches? My neighbor is coast guard and he is very happy with how he is treated. I was active army almost 4 years and did not like it.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You've gotten some great avice here TimTim...and I think what Mike Mass says is something you should think about...the Marines are not the only branch...Air Force and Coast Guard are other options that might suit you better...check it out.

If I were your age...I think I'd be a Coastie.

Good luck...and it's true what Prodigal tells you...don't just do it to escape...do it for healthier reasons.

Thinking of you!
Old 02-21-2007, 06:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi TimTim....the mother of 2 army soldiers here...and the daughter military parents...Air Force tho and my kids went in just like you to get away from the problems of thier fathers alcoholism and the divorce....and it helped them alot mainly because they had to focus on the task at hand and not what was happening back home...so you do what ever you feel you have to do for yourself and don't let anyone distract you...but I do agree with the others when they say to check out ALL of your options...see who has the best sign up bonus and all of that....my son wanted to go to college and he is through the army...but it takes time he has to be in for a period of time before he could go....soooo read all the fine print and ask alot of questions ok...best of luck and try to keep in touch with us ok.

Love Ya Kiddo,
Janit
Old 02-21-2007, 07:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

My oldest son was in the Marines. My youngest son is in the Navy right now.
One of my cousins is in the Air National Gaurd and has been for 19 years now, plus his 4 years in the Air Force before that.
Ok so now you know how qualified I may be to give an answer with my resources at hand.

The best thing you could do...
Finish school and then apply for ROTC for college. They pay and for a 4 year degree, you pay them back with years of service. I think it may be 5 years of service for 4 years of college. You would go in the service as an officer with higher pay on day one.

2nd best...
Sign up for an education (get it in writing) Think on what you would like to do once out of the Marines and let them train you for your future.
X-ray tech, Electronics field, Structural engineer,... Think it through on what you want "after" the Marines. Even if you stay for 20 years, when you get out you will need do something.

Marines are first in, last out in any war zone. Marine basic is the best challenge that I know of that a young man can look to take on. The few, the PROUD... You get through basic that would be something to be proud of for your whole life.

Now the downside...
Mom would worry that you could be hurt or not come home at all.
War is not fun and games.
For some that isn't seen as a problem because we all take chances in life. Any one of us could slip on the soap in the shower any day.
With a son in now and my oldest having been sent to Iraq when things first started up over there... I placed him and I place my Navy son in God's hands.
What will be will be and God is in control.
Only He knows the day and the hour that each of us will live till.

Think it over and as you make choices of what you want to do, you could comfort your mom when the time comes to sign the papers and go in.
Who knows...your thoughts may change as you think on things a bit as well.
Do what you feel you need do for you.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Your mom and your best's friends reaction is out of fear. They don't want to lose you and with today’s military and all the unknowns, it's natural they wouldn't want to you enlist.
I also think you need to know what it is you want to do in the Marines. What type of job do you want to do? What interests do you have?
My brother is a career marine who went into it knowing up front what it was he wanted to do. He strongly suggested to my son who wanted to join the marines to make sure you get that up front, your recruiter is doing his job brining in his numbers and is not looking out for your best interest, you have to do that and make sure your contract states it all very clearly. My son wanted to be a medic and the marines don't have medics they use Navy corpsmen so my son went into the Navy and is now attached to a Marine Unit.
I would strongly suggest you finish college and see if you are still interested in the service and then know what it is you want to do while you are committed for 4 years or longer.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

((timtim)) (( timtim's mom))

I understand both sides. I'm a mom of grown young men, and I've given much thought to what I would do if one or both decided to enlist. I'd be proud, and I'd be terrified,not necessarily in that order. Best said it best - it's in God's hands anyways. Just be sure you know what you're getting into.. and remember you really can't run away from challenges, problems etc. Wherever you go, there you are.

Hugs

Cat
Old 02-21-2007, 08:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Dang this is hard

my .02 worth

..I was in the Coast Guard and stationed on an 82 foot patrol boat out of San Pedro, CA...best time of my life...then I went to a bouy Tender. All in all they basically paid for my extended education (college)..I work as Graphic Artist and have been for the last 20+ years...Coasties are alot diff now they are under Homeland Security..when I was in it still was under the Dept of Transportation...
Semper Paratus!!!!!
Old 02-21-2007, 08:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

great feedback here.

i might add, that entering the service sounds like a way to get an education, and that you pay that back with service, which may include combat duty. combat duty includes the risk of losing your life in the name of a cause i hope you are fully in accord with. and, service may not include combat duty.

to me, its a gamble and there are big choices and decisions to be made that will affect you for the rest of your life.

if you just want your education and freedom from a bad home situation, there are other options than joining the armed forces. you just need to explore how you can get studednt loans which you will also have to pay back. with money.

whatever path to your future, if you apply yourself to it fully, ask gods guidance, and trust in that, will leave you feeling strong and proud.

good luck!
Old 02-21-2007, 12:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Who can I trust?

thanks everyone. I want to go in for Aircraft mech. I work on anythign that has a gas motor and I love it. I am constantly working on my own cars as well as racing them. Its either Aircraft mech. or infantry. They are kinda opposite ends of the spectrum from each other but all in all still Marines. I also feel that it is the right decision being that I am currently ending my third yr at a two yr college and I still have a full yr to go.

I feel that I need to disipline and I know that by myself I cant get it nor can I being where I am right now. I am going with a 2 yr. contract right now with ability to reapply and with the amount of college credits that I have I will come out of boot as a pfc and within 4 mnths I will be up for Lance Corpral. I do have this in writting from the recruiter.

Its not that I'm running away or trying to escape my problems but I feel I need to do this for myself. I feel that I need to prove to myself that I am able to do it.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TimTim View Post
I will come out of boot as a pfc and within 4 mnths I will be up for Lance Corpral. I do have this in writting from the recruiter.
And how many credits would it take to get out of basic with the blood stripe?
May want to ask them that and maybe by pushing yourself just a little in school now, you could end up with more rank sooner.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Becoming a Butterfly

Ummm ... don't they scream at you and stuff like the sargent in "Full Metal Jacket"? Isn't there a lot of drinking in the military? Isn't there like a serious risk of being killed or horribly maimed? That doesn't sound like a great "escape" to me.

No offense but ... I'd pass if I were you. Go to state school and take out a student loan if you want an education.

JMHO
Old 02-21-2007, 01:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WantsOut View Post
Ummm ... don't they scream at you and stuff like the sargent in "Full Metal Jacket"? Isn't there a lot of drinking in the military? Isn't there like a serious risk of being killed or horribly maimed? That doesn't sound like a great "escape" to me.
Yup

Its a guy thing... some of us like the challenge.

The drinking part... yes, the marines first started in a bar (first meeting) and many are still found in bars today but the military is cracking down on the drinking in all branches of the service.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Who can I trust?

the US Marines is older than this country. I am really looking forward to it. Plus if I only do 2 yrs. I will be out by the time I'm 24 and I get put on the top 5% of the police list.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I can tell you feel good about this decision. There is nothing that willmake you happier than setting a goal for yourself and seeing it materialize. It's a tough row to hoe, but you seem willing and determined.
You can do anything you set your mind to. I would be very proud of your reseearching this, discoveering that you can earn a living at something you love and I especially love the long term goal.
I personally love how you've picked yourself up and have planned a path to becoming the man you know you can be and want to be.
The greatest men in the world have come from similar situations.
Congradulations!
Old 02-25-2007, 12:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Who can I trust?

Thanks guys. I'm waiting for my friend Jacqui. to come home, and I'm gunna make my final decision on what she thinks. I don't know at this point if this idea of making my decision is right but she truely is my decideing decision maker. I guess to a point this is wrong, but i don't care.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:26 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Why do you want to go in the service? Honestly....

To get into something that will change your life in a positive way, or to get away from something?

If they think you're being selfish, they may think you're running from something....