Notices

Relapse

Old 02-19-2007, 09:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Relapse

Hello Forum,
it has been a few weeks since i last posted. I relapsed last thurs, just drank and was finished the same night.The experience sucked and was not much fun, especially the guilt. I was going on 2 months. The problem is, I was working the third step with my sponsor and have not told him yet. I just have not been able to do this, actually he kind of turned me off recently because of putting god, not a higher power on me, saying that was the only way I can get through my addiction.His catholic faith!!! He was ordering me about such and such and I did not feel very comfortable with it, am I being too sensitive? Am i supposed to start the steps again, from step 1? confused!!!! honestly, this whole recovery proces has been so hard and no matter what, I kept fooling myself that I could at least drink again the whole time I was in recovery. I don't know how you guys do this ? "the one day at a time", the "it will get better", "wait until the miracle happens","life on life terms" none of that stuff makes me feel any better. sorry if i seem so negative, but I drank and did drugs to get away from this **** sometimes called life. No amount of physical excertion, hobbies, people, can help me through this, I'm still feeling doomed.Sobriety, for me, is mostly a boring nightmare!!! I must also confess to not posting so much because I feel I have nothing to contribute. I am lost. thank you for reading this.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi PG - sorry about your sponser my daughter (drug addict) had a similar thing happen with a counselor - he apologized but their sharing was never the same. Doesn't sound bad to start the steps again does it - what do you think? By the way all the contributions in SR are helpful to me - those who share themselves the way you did are awesome. Thanks.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi PG...

i know what u mean...totally know what u mean.
if u ever want to talk just PM me...

my heart is huge i so want to help everyone...i myself have had a blur of last 10 years from just getting beyond wasted i was fully functional on whatever...no body knows....now that i have started telling people and am happy about stopping thats like my new high...lets talk

sooon my friend....
Old 02-20-2007, 04:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Im not crazy and neither am I

hoping to gain some strength from all of you - I am having a struggle
thanks
pm me if you want
Old 02-20-2007, 04:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Is it possible to start all over with a new sponser? Someone you are more compatible with? I'm new here and I'm not that familiar with AA program yet. Don't give up....if AA does not work for you try something else. Best wishes and keep coming back to SR!
Old 02-20-2007, 05:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, anyone can change or have more than one sponser.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thanks for the replies, man, reading my post from last night.... I sound pretty bad off. today will be a better day.. Maybe another sponsor is not s bad idea.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If this sponsor is not working out for you, you can always get a new one. Sponsorship does not mean marriage. lol

Find someone you can click with. Having a sponsor that you are compatible with is very very important!

Glad that you are here still moving on forward.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

PG, keep try'n...

if your use'n, or go'n to AA meets.. go to a ton of um... listen... listen to the shares.. look for someone that has what you need... not what you think you want...

and you have to want it, not need it... recovery that is...

for me, a good sponser aint noth'n more then a person that can show/teach us about the seven deadlys... how they can/have run us...

and how to teach us to get a grip on them...

good wishes...

xxoo, rz
Old 02-20-2007, 10:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi PG,

You have everything to contribute to SR!

Don't throw in the towel. Get to another meeting OR spend time with us.

You can do this!

We need you, as much as you need us, OK??
Old 02-20-2007, 10:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi PG

i wake up today and i was wondering how you are?

let me know....
Old 02-20-2007, 01:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

PG1968...I felt as if you were speaking for me with that post. That is the EXACT way I feel. I am 90 days sober, and want to drink because I can't stand the boredom and cliche that is AA. Its not the people, because i like them. Its just the fact that I can't drink anymore...
Old 02-20-2007, 01:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I would tell your sponsor what you told us. It's honest.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by PG1968 View Post
Hello Forum,
it has been a few weeks since i last posted. I relapsed last thurs, just drank and was finished the same night.The experience sucked and was not much fun, especially the guilt. I was going on 2 months. The problem is, I was working the third step with my sponsor and have not told him yet. I just have not been able to do this, actually he kind of turned me off recently because of putting god, not a higher power on me, saying that was the only way I can get through my addiction.His catholic faith!!! He was ordering me about such and such and I did not feel very comfortable with it, am I being too sensitive? Am i supposed to start the steps again, from step 1? confused!!!! honestly, this whole recovery proces has been so hard and no matter what, I kept fooling myself that I could at least drink again the whole time I was in recovery. I don't know how you guys do this ? "the one day at a time", the "it will get better", "wait until the miracle happens","life on life terms" none of that stuff makes me feel any better. sorry if i seem so negative, but I drank and did drugs to get away from this **** sometimes called life. No amount of physical excertion, hobbies, people, can help me through this, I'm still feeling doomed.Sobriety, for me, is mostly a boring nightmare!!! I must also confess to not posting so much because I feel I have nothing to contribute. I am lost. thank you for reading this.

In AA spirituality has nothing to do with religion. If your sponsor insists that you have to do it the "Catholic Way" tell him to take a hike. This program all about finding a "Higher Power" that can help you solve your problems. You seemed to be convinced that you are powerless over alcohol. If you have a concept of a Higher Power then you are making progress. It's not necessary to go back to Set 1 unless you're not absolutely convinced of what it ways. Just MHO. There are many kinds of people in AA with many different ideas. As has been said, find someone who you identify with, someone who has some good sobriety time, someone who when the speak up in a meeting, it's easy to understand what they say.

Keep hanging in there. It's tough right now because there's a lot of confusion. The fog will lift as time goes by. Speak up in meetings, let people know what you're feeling. I'll bet if you shared in a meeting what you just shared with us, the vast majority of folks would tell you it's not about religion.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You guys never seem to amaze me!!!!! So much caring here!!!! thanks. I have not yet spoke to the sponsor, but have put things into perspective. I just have to find the type of sponsor i click with. Went to an AA meeting last night.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

PG,
Hang in there. Don't beat yourself up for slipping. Hey, you picked yourself up, dusted yourself off and here you are trying to make things work better this time Way to go!! You'll get it, just keep believing!!
Old 02-20-2007, 05:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

i'm glad you sound so much better today......
Old 02-23-2007, 07:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi All

Sponsors screw up. It may be a function of the fact there are no screening methods to keep out those that are still sick. Probably best since we are ALL still sick.

Personally I am not a huge fan of the word. I prefer the words friend, buddy, pal or helper.

Hang in there and you will find somebody that works with you, regardless of the title.

Ray
Old 02-23-2007, 08:05 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

How ya doing today PG?
Old 02-23-2007, 10:30 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hello people,
just checking in. I appreciate all that was written. I still have not talked to my sponsor, I have had something come up. I have not attended any meetings as of late, however, I have not been using. right now, I just cannot handle meetings, I don't know when I will use again and I cannot deal with the guilt of getting to know some of the people there and then relapsing over and over. thank you anyway.