Notices

Discovering Reality

Old 04-15-2003, 12:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Discovering Reality

HOW WILL WE AS RECOVERING ADDICTS LOOK FOR THE BEAUTY TODAY IN OURLIVES?

This is from my Day by Day book for recovering addicts.......

When we were stoned we had only artificial seasons. We cared not how beautiful life could be around us, but only if we could get high and stay high. As we grow in awareness we are like little children discovering the world all over again.

There is more excitement around each discovery we make than there ever was in any high, and it is real and cannot be taken from us. Am I rediscovering the world around me?

Lord I pray that I will continue to discover all that you have put here for me.

God help me to stay clean and sober today!
Old 04-15-2003, 05:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

Yes, but we are not children. We are grown ups, who feel like we are children rediscovering the world, thrown into society where we are scared and have no skills to cope with the people and things around us. The discoveries we make are 90% of the time painful, scary and unwanted. We come to believe that the highs brought us the exciting discoveries (which they didn't). There are a lot of day by day, meditation, days of healing, books out there that say this and that so that we feel better about the year or so ahead of us that we must face. But we will face reality, how cold it is upon us addicts. That is how we learn, those are our discoveries. That is what will make us tougher and have a better sense of how to handle things once we are completly sober. We can't expect to hear all this "it's that easy" or "recovering is a loving experience". It isn't. I believe that we are repenting for our sins and have to suffer the consequences. My two cents