effort on our part. It just comes!"

~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Into Action, pg. 84~
Old 01-31-2007, 05:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Onward!
Old 01-31-2007, 11:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm reminded of several things when I read this.

I work in a bar, and I can relate to the recoil thing. For the first time in my life, I'm treating alcohol with respect. I respect that it is poison for me, and I will not allow it to enter into my body.

Sometimes I will smell beer, and my first thought will be "that smells good". I accept the fact that I will think that. I'll probably have initial thoughts like that all through my life....why? Because I'm an alcoholic. I can accept the fact that my first thought might be in favour of drinking. Drinking has become so ingrained in my subconsious, it is bound to bubble up into my consious mind from time to time. I have no power over my first thought.

I have some degree of control over my second thought, however. My second thought is always an "AA thought". I apply the slogans in my life on a daily basis. I remind myself of my first step, sometimes every hour. I constantly pray for God to keep me safe, sane and sober.

My second thought is the thought that lets me pull away from the flame before it burns me.

Thinking with a sober mind makes all the difference in the world.

When I have alcohol in my system, I am insane. Sober, I may have rough points...but....I'll always have the greater chance of not getting my ass kicked by booze. I've got problems in my life, but I can face them without drinking today. I also realize that I'm more likely to deal with my problems correctly if I'm sober.

There's been times when faced with problems, my first response is to think of a drink. This, again, is my addicion bubbling up out of my subconsious. I quickly kill the thought asap. I can't let that thought grow into a lingering thought... I cannot let it turn into a fantasy. If I do this, I might drink again. The prospect of drinking again scares me.

When a normal person has a problem, their first thought isn't to have a drink. Try asking a normal person if they want a drink when they are facing a big problem in their lives....they will probably look at you like you are crazy. They are right that this is a crazy way of thinking. "why would I want to take a drink when I need to deal with my problem?" they may ask.

Today, I can ask myself the same thing... almost like I'm a normal person. Drinking to deal with problems is insane.

It's great to be sober today, and have the ability to exercize good judgement. It's nice to be sober, and not act like I'm crazy....

Tonight, I sat in my bar and watched several musicians perform. I sat with my staff and I watched people buy drinks and get drunk. Thoughts about drinking were far from my mind. I was happy with my tonic water, and I felt like I was fine.... I joked with the patrons, I laughed and told jokes. I'm glad the night is over now, but it wasn't too bad for me. There was a time in my early sobriety where a night like tonight would have bothered me. It doesn't bother me any more. I look at alcohol in a sane way. Other people can enjoy it, and I want them to enjoy it. I enjoy being sober MORE than I enjoy drinking. Drinking isn't an option for me, and my life is SO much easier with this understanding.
peace,
chip
Old 02-01-2007, 06:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow Chip! You sound like such a strong and grounded person. I know I couldn't own/manage a bar and stay sober. At least not for a long time. I learned in my previous periods of sobriety that it is no fun being sober around a bunch of drunks. It made me feel like the old man hanging out with the kiddies. They all looked/acted so immature. I could look at them and ask myself why would I chose to hang out with these people. The answer was always the same, I don't want to.

While drinking they were great friends (not really). I can tell you in all the years of drinking there is just one person who called me to do things outside of the bar and drinking.

So for me alcohol is a substance that causes me to degrade myself. I act, do, and say things that the sober me would be embarrassed of.

Then the next day the sober me realizes how I was and I spend the next couple of days kicking myself and feeling like drinking even more to escape my own thoughts. My intellect can see this as rediculous but my emotional being cannot.

This is something I learned going through my divorce. Often times my intellect and my heart are disconnected. I think, at least for me, this is the biggest problem I face. Perhaps that is the case for all alkies, I don't know. But I am beginning to see why it is necessary to reconnect with my HP(God). I think that a personal relationship with him and becomming more spiritually aware will help bridge the gap between my intellect and my soul, thereby decreasing the chances of relapse.

Just my thoughts today.

Chris
Old 02-01-2007, 01:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello Chris,
Thanks for sharing on this forum! Welcome to SR.

I'm not sure that I am well grounded, but I do depend on my HP to keep me sober. My line of work is interesting, and I just look at it like any other job. My personal rule is that I never step foot in a bar unless I am there for legitimate business. If I have a reason to be there, I don't feel like I'm playing with fire.

Hanging out with drunks ISN"T much fun at all. I can relate to how you feel...I usually feel like the old man hanging out with a bunch of kiddies. It works out alright though because I am the boss at this place of business. Even if I still drank, there would still be a barriour between myself and those who are there for fun. If I were there for "have a good time", I'd certainly feel out of place drinking coffee while others are getting loaded all around me. I am the designated "responsible person", and I'm there to support my family.

Enough about me....

You sound like you have a good plan in place to protect your sobriety. Depending on your HP to bridge the gap betwen intellect and soul is a solid idea. I can relate to what you say about this.... My feelings and instincts get out of wack on a daily basis. I need my HP to "ground" me, and help me sort out the right things to do.

I hope we *see* you around soon!
your bro in sobriety,
chip