Notices

Today will be 4 days

Old 01-17-2007, 09:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Gretchen2733

Today will be 4 days

I have never made it past 2 days. I woke up Sunday morning after yet another night of heavy drinking , and decided enough is enough. I could barely feed myself due to the excessive shaking . I do not remember Saturday night. I know that I did and said some hurtful things and generally made a jerk out of myself .. typical ....

For the past 3 years I have lived my life buzzed , drunk or hungover. I am always tired, I take diet pills because they clear my head on the hungover days , yet I have gained nearly 50 pounds in the past 3 years . This is partly due to all the parties , the margarita meetings with all my drunk friends , the beer and vodka that I am ALWAYS drinking as soon as I get home from work. Both of my "drunk" friends have received DUI's within 2 weeks of each other . I know I was next if I did not stop.

I can trace nearly every problem I have back to alcohol. On Sunday I made the decision to quit, on Monday I poured every bit of alcohol down the drain. On Tuesday I informed my family and friends and asked for their support. Today I am joining this group.
Some of the posts I have read are scarily similiar to my life.

Alcohol is nothing more than a demon in a bottle waiting to be poured into your soul so that it can consume and destroy you. I am done letting it destroy me. I want the woman I used to be back . I have not had alcohol in my body for 4 days now including today. Already I feel better, have more energy, a better attitude, a clear head.. I know I am going to be okay!

I know this will be a forever battle , I want to drink right now , I have talked to people who have quit drinking over 3 years and still want a drink.

I am not going to let it get me again.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Peace begins with a smile

Welcome...thanks for your post.

For me, alcohol is poison to my body. It does things to me that it does not to a "normal" social drinker. I can not take one sip of alcohol without it triggering a complusion to drink more. The results.. never good. Over the years I never learned how to cope and deal with life. Whenever something happened in my life that I did not like... whether it was ppl, places, things of feelings.. I drank to attempt to ignore rather than cope. So for me, my problem is a two-fold problem... physical (after I take that first sip) and mental (the way I'm thinking that leads me to that first drink.)..

I can relate to alot of what you wrote, and I was severly bloated from so much alcohol. Once I quit, that weight came off.. my skin looked better.. I felt better.. and looked healthier. But then that time came when something went wrong in my life, or when I felt really good.. that I almost believed the lie that I could drink like normal people or that my problem or life would get better from taking a drink. I didn't take that drink.. one day at a time.. because I learned about my problem and found a program of action and recovery against my seriously demented thinking. Some days are better/easier than others. But I try to implement the tools I have learned as a defense against that first drink.

Today, my life is good. Not always fantastic.. not always bad. But good. Living a sober life is WAAAAY better than any life I could have lived in that horrible state of hopelessness and despair... all the while never even knowing I actually had a problem. Once I actually took the time to learn about my problem.. I had to get honest with myself. As a result of staying away from that first drink and having a program of recovery I DO NOT have a desire to drink today. And that, in itself, is a miracle and blessing that I could never even have fathomed. So today, it makes my life GOOD... no matter what happens on the outside...

Anna
Old 01-17-2007, 09:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SoberRecovery, and congrats on 4 days. Have you tried AA? There are some good meetings in Douglasville. I used to live there.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on making it four days. It's not avoiding alcohol forever, it's avoiding alcohol right now. It's been ten days for me. And remember to eat and drink lots of water.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
let it grow!

welcome and congrats on 4 days! i agree with bigsilk - one day at a time. blessings, k

(my daughter is early recovery, and aa is really helping her..)
Old 01-17-2007, 10:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i'll be saying this in 3 more days. good job on making 4
Old 01-17-2007, 09:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Congrats on making this wonderful choice.

I can totally relate to the situ that led up to your decision. I had a similar experience... it gets better.

Peace, Levi
Old 01-18-2007, 12:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well done Gretchen...Good for you!

Welcome to SR
and
Hi Neighbor!