New Double winners meeting-need advice

Old 12-20-2006, 01:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Double winners meeting-need advice

Hi all,
I am new to the forum but been around for 24 years. I have been asked by several to start a "double winners" Al-anon meeting and just wondering what others have experienced, what are the best ways to work both sides of the steps and how not to offend the least numbers of people.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

Hi Brookswife and welcome to SR!
Glad you are here!
Some of the most wonderful people I know and have learned the most from are double winners. Maybe posting this on both sides will help?
Are you chairing a meeting?
Old 12-20-2006, 04:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Many meetings I attend have double winners in them and I think it's great. A double winner is who got me into Al-Anon in the first place.

What are your thoughts on what would offend?
Old 12-20-2006, 08:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Here on the "left coast" we have two different kinds of "double winner" meetings.

One kind we call "couples groups". They're held once a month as a potluck, each month at a different home. People in a commited relationship show up and while we're having the potluck dinner we have a regular 12 step meetings that is _both_ AA and al-anon at the same time. The subject of discussion is "How we work our program of recovery in our relationship". An individual does not have to qualify for both programs to attend.

The other kind is called a "dual addiction", or "dual member", or "double winner". They can't seem to agree on a name Anyway, those meetings are for individuals who qualify for _both_ a chemical addiction program _and_ have a close family member whose addiction has harmed them. I used to go to an excellent one in Laguna Beach that was "double winner, men only". These meetings have as the subject of discussion how we work the program of recovery _both_ in regards to our loved one as well as for ourselves.

I have found both of these "special interest" meetings to be awesomely helpful to my recovery.

Mike