Notices

Hey everybody

Old 10-04-2006, 08:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey everybody

Hi everyone my name is Kevin...I have been sober for 2 years now. Not the first time I have been sober for a long stretch but hopefully this time will stick. If not I will try, try again because booze and Kevin do not mix..
I am originally from Kansas but things got really bad there and I ended up having to come live with my mother (pathetic huh?)..in Virginia..
My problem right now is I am living in an absolute hell hole geographically...I cannot find a job (no one in this hick town pays anything or they will not hire me because I am not a native. I live in rural Appalachia.). I can see myself going downhill because my mom can't support me and all I do is sit here at this computer all day...hardly any AA meetings..and no opportunity..
Seems like I can't get it together...even when I am sober lousy things happen to me..I got a real good job in Georgia but they messed my paycheck up and no one that I knew had any money to help me out so I had to use what little I had to get back home. Thats just the way my life goes...
I think I deserve a break!...and I got to get out of here...my sanity can't take it..
If anyone had any ideas about how I could get out of here I would love to hear from you..I am not looking for a "geographical fix"....Kevin will be an alcoholic and have problems anywhere he goes. But there is NO opportunity around here.
Do any of you know of any good halfway houses that might take me?...I just need a place to get settled where I can get on my feet and get something going...I used to be sort of the manager at a halfway house in Kansas about 10 years ago...
I am not looking for a resort or anything but I would like to find a place that has some structure and is CLEAN..I don't want to have to live in filth..
I have a car and computer and some stuff...tools etc...I am intelligent and easy to get along with..I just need a place somewhere that is bigger than Tazewell Virginia..I hate it here..
I am hard worker and not afraid to help out whomever for no matter what...I just need a good safe clean place to stay for a while...preferably somewhere warm...it is SO cold here in the mountains all the time...its pretty...but pretty doesn't pay any bills..thanks for reading all this and any suggestions would be most appreciated...I am going to start drinking or worse if I have to stay here much longer...I am really depressed...thank you..
Kevin
Old 10-04-2006, 08:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Kevin, and welcome to SR!

First off, let me say Congratulations on 2 yrs. sober! That is awesome!

I'm sorry you are having such a hard time right now!

So, where are you wanting to move? Do you want to stay in Virginia, or do want to move to another state? I know they have Oxford Houses all over. Have you ever thought about that? It could be an option for you.

Hope things get better for you!

Alissa
Old 10-04-2006, 08:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Alissa...it is depressing when you are sober...and your life still stinks!...but drinking won't help so even though I am super bummed out...at least I don't feel crappy physically..and I have a bit of serenity in that at least...I do NOT want to stay in Virginia..I liked it down in Savannah if the job would have worked out...I was behind on my hotel bill and the contractor I was working for didnt seem to care if I got paid or not..so I had to move back and lose a great job..just seems like bad luck should be my middle name...I have seen the Oxford houses but I haven't checked in to them yet...
Old 10-04-2006, 08:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome Kevin!

If I were looking for a job in construction
I'd check on line for the info for the
Gulf Coast.

Well Done on your sober years!
Old 10-04-2006, 08:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Carol, it seems like I have such bad luck even when I am sober it doesn't matter..I just don't want to compound my misery with booze...I am tired of it...I was in the aircraft business...however..I like to sell antiques on ebay but there are no sales here anywhere...I just hate this place..blah!
Old 10-04-2006, 09:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Move to the closest city...
that's what I did.

I knew no one there..had little cash
stayed in the Y
and found a job.

So can you...
Old 10-04-2006, 09:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Carol...I really liked Savannah....maybe I can figure out a way to get back down there...Virginia is either rich people...or poor people..its really depressing here
Old 10-04-2006, 09:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Salvation Army is in Charlotte, NC I recently found out. Charlotte is a pretty big city.