Son's Counselling

Old 09-12-2006, 02:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Son's Counselling

Of course I got the old "I don't want to go. There's nothing wrong with me." I simply told him that I know and I didn't say there was anything wrong with him, but he's been experiencing some symptoms which leads me to think he's holding too much in. And that I want to be sure that he's dealing with everything ok. "I'm fine!" Ok. Well, we'll see how this goes.

On the way there, he says "I don't know what to talk about." I told him that was ok. That there were many times I walked in without anything to talk about and ended up not having enough time to talk once I got in there, and I actually walked out of there feeling like a million bucks. I told him not to worry.

He said he didn't want to talk about his dreams. I told him he can choose what he wants to talk about.

SO....once we got there, I went in to the counseller and told her what was going on. About his dreams and anxious stomach (both of which has been a problem IMO since he was really young). I told her that me and G were seperated. I told her that G was an alcoholic. That he don't see G very often. I told her that up until the last few months I was struggling BAD with codependancy and that there were a few occassions I had asked my son to make adult decisions...I gave her a few examples (which at the time I didn't think anything about it) and basically, since he was the only one I had to talk too, he heard a lot that he shouldn't have.....like me obsessively worrying about G.

( I went into very little detail about his dreams and explained to her that he didn't want me to tell her about them b/c it scared him to talk about them.)

She asked if my son worried about me....I couldn't answer that one b/c he's never really expressed that to me.

She asked if the dreams were about people chasing him or coming after him...I told her "Yes, they were." and that the last two really bad ones had G in them. (I'm curious to find out what her assumption of that is.)

After me talking to her for about 15 minutes, she called in my son. They talked for about 20 minutes. He came out with this strange little grin on his face. I smiled and asked what that "look" was for. He said, "Because, I feel just like you said you did. I feel like a million bucks!"

He goes back on the 27th.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
In Recovery

Sounds Great, Jessica! Congrats on taking that step (sorry, I don't check in daily, so am not completely up-to-date on stories).
Old 09-12-2006, 02:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What a great story, Jess. I'm so happy for you and your son that you took this step. I hope others who wonder if counseling can help their children will read this post and go for it.

Thank you for sharing!

L
Old 09-12-2006, 03:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Jessica, glad it went well. I think you going in and giving some background info was a really good idea, really probably helped clear up a lot of things. Kids aren't always that open, etc..
Old 09-12-2006, 03:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Perfect....

Thank you for sharing that. Im soooo glad he had a good experience because now he will not fear getting help if he needs it when he is grown.

Great Job Mom
Old 09-12-2006, 04:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

He has been bouncing off the walls today. I don't know what they talked about, but his mood today is awesome. He has actually made some sarcastic comments about his dad.....Which I don't condone, but at least he's getting it out.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

oh jess - i'm so glad that he went and was able to talk. this will go a long way towards your son becoming healthy and dealing with addiction in the right way. bravo to you and your son!!!
Old 09-12-2006, 06:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

So glad he found his counseling session helpful. Great job, Jess!
Old 09-13-2006, 06:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow, how great. Jessica, you should be commended for not only doing right by your son, but also for being so honest about yourself and your potential role in some of what is going on with him. That's not so easy to do! Good for you both.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Jessica:you are an inspiration!

I'm glad that things seem to be going well with you and your kids. You are going such a great job!
Old 09-13-2006, 07:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great to hear, Jess. Every time I do something that is proactive in recovery, I feel fantastic inside. I hope it's the same for you.

((()))
Old 09-13-2006, 07:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wow, that's awesome. My counselor had to bribe my son with a donut to get him to stay, but it worked.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good move Jessica. We really aren't aware of how much they really do go through.

Good luck with it.

Ngaire
Old 09-13-2006, 12:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Good job Jess. Your son will probably come to enjoy the visits just like mine did. Keep a good dialog open with his counselor.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Big grins for Jessica! Thanks for sharing this with us. You are a special lady and your honesty in the situation is certainly to be commended and is a great example for all of us!

live
Old 09-13-2006, 04:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

You're an awesome Mom, Jess. Keep up the good work.

Kathy