may better do Thy will. Take away my
difficulties, that victory over them may
bear witness to those I would help of Thy
Power, Thy Love, and Thy Way of life.
May I do Thy will always!

Everyday I have to ask for guidance
and protection as I continue on my journey
thru life sober. Turning my will and life
over to the care of a Power greater than I.

Do you turn ur will and life over on a daily
bases?

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I begin each day with the 3rd step prayer, Sharon, and also a special prayer asking God to watch over my son.

That lets me begin the day knowing we are both in God's hands and therefore I can let go of any worry about what the day may bring.

It's a very important part of my morning ritual, and it's what keeps me sane, one day at a time.

Good topic.

Hugs
Old 09-07-2006, 05:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I don't do the 3rd step consistently, but I will start. Today. I have a pretty constant dialogue going with my HP throughout each day. I've been humbled a LOT lately... and I know that my HP sees a much bigger picture for my life. I can't begin to figure out what all these random events mean, but I've been around long enough to know that all the pieces will fall into place when the time is right. Then I will look back and say "AHA now I know why I went thru those experiences."

AT this point in my life, I tend to turn my will over.... and take it back... every day.

I'm a work in progress!

Hugs
Cat
Old 09-07-2006, 11:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

one thing that helped me was a dictionary in my recovery.
my will and my life ended up being my thoughts and my actions.so i have to be as willing as i can to stay as spiritualy centered as i can.when i am things work out,and when im not,i have to work on surendering my issues.
another important word was care,which meant loving concern.God didnt want a robbot or a whipping boy.it meant i had to act in a responsible way.
the prayer is an action word for me.i was told that i was on the couch expecting God to feed me,rether than making my own hot dog,and being responsible.prayer and action.
in n.a.
many of us have said
take my will and my life,
guide me in my recovery
show me how to live
thanks
Old 09-08-2006, 04:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That is a really great tip for me bc I am just starting in recovery (8 days) and I am going to be really picky in choosing a sponsor. I am starting a 12 step journal soon so I will be sure to add that as a daily prayer along with the powerful stuff I see in 24 Hours A Day. I found an awesome AA meeting recently, worth a bit of a drive.

dalin, it was so funny, I couldn't tell what they were praying at the end of our large NA meeting. I was sitting in a different corner during the newcomer's meeting and I asked "What is the prayer we are saying at the end, it doesn't seem like a traditional prayer and I can't tell what we are saying?" Then the Chair pointed at the wall right in front of me and there it was, framed on the wall! DUH! I guess I needed a dose of humility LOL.

to all!!
Old 09-12-2006, 07:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

yup,this is a daily step, because my recovery never stands still.it has to follow my actions.
am i being selfish?
self centered?thinking all would be ok if the world would folow dalins will?
im just glad to be here,and glad to be clean of all mood altering subtances.
thanks
Old 09-12-2006, 12:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I must say, I've always struggled with turning over responsibility for my recovery to God. If this is going to work, then surely I have to find strength and resources within me, rather than hoping someone else will do it for me. I spent too much time thinking others would pick up the pieces for me.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing. I only get down on one knee when I pray, because I know I need to immediately push up to do the work my program requires of me.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Bright Eye I understand what u r saying.

First i wanted to say thank you to all those who have shared so far. Your thoughts im pretty sure are helping not only me but others too. You r all much appreciated. : )

Bright Eye.....

You are absolutely right about not knowing who to trust in turning ur will and life over to. Or even to whom you believe in.

All i know for myself is....when i relied on me to do the right thing ...to stop drinking....to have the strength and courage within me to stop drinking, i couldn't. I was too weak. I eventually realized that my will power didnt work and this disease of alcoholism is cunning, baffling and powerful. Too powerful for me to handle on my own.

I remembered when i was a child, my mom ... drank and took perscription drugs....she went to work and youd never know she ever had a problem with either of them. She was a very attractive woman , Very caring, giving person.

Little did people not know about her. She was a Dr. Jeckel/ Mr. Hyde personality. The disease she had within her reared its ugly head one too many times to me tearing me up phyically and emotionally.

Anyway...thru the yrs she had four kids and both my parents worked. She delt with migrains often and thus had to take medicine for it...she also mixed alcohol with it that allowed her to become a monster at home.

No one ever knew about this as it was taught to us what happens at home stays at home....anyway....with her sickness she made several trips to the doctor to adjust her meds....From what i later learned....she was told if she ever picked up another drink of alcohol in her life and mixed it with her meds that she would die....

This is what the doctors told her....so im assuming she stopped drinking all together.... AMAZING....I copped a resentment later on in life when i became an alcoholic and had to have the family do an intervention on me and send me to rehab for 28 days and there my mom NEVER set foot in a rehab facility in her life.

How can that be when she abused meds and alcohol and abused me fiercly and is not an alcoholic.....???

Well..i cant take her inventory as its not my place to do so.....

What i believe happened was it was her faith in something much bigger than her that had kept her from drinking again and not being committed.

We come from a Catholic up bringing...the "old school" teaching as they say it back then.

Anyway...i do have faith, but for some reason i often wonder why my faith didnt help me like it did for my mom...and here i am the only one in my family that is labaled an alcoholic.

Ok, i think ive lost track here with u bright eyes.

Maybe my fath and willingness wasnt as strong as my moms was and thus had to dig deeper in my own faith and belief in something that would keep me sober one day at a time for 16 yrs.

Ok..ill leave it at here where someone may have other thoughts on this.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

brite eyes,this step can be a bit confusing.it is up to me to be as responsible,and as spiritual as i can be in this step.
before the steps i was selfish.
first starting the steps about 12 years ago i had that attitude.the after my last relapse i saw i was working the steps on self will and got high again.
then i got a sponsor who had a sponsor who had a sponsor etc,and they made me define the steps.you can try it if you want.you will get the same results i got.
keep coming back,with an open mind.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Just for Today

I will start