Notices

New, need advice!

Old 09-01-2006, 05:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New, need advice!

Well, I have come to terms with the fact I am an alcoholic, but I am not sure which decision to make regarding my recovery. I finally feel well enough to post here but I am not sure if I am out of the detox phase just yet. I am lucky enough to be able to afford to go to rehab with insurance and all, but I am very nervous about this place. It is 12 step based so I feel like I will be paying for AA which seems like a foolish thing to do beyond helping contribute at meetings. I am alarmed that there is a restriction on reading materials, food, fragrances and lotions, ect. My husband and I can't communicate freely. He won't admit how large the co-pay is because he doesen't want to upset me. I get really upset in controlling, authoritarian environments and I don't want to make an expenisve mistake. Should I try out this rehab, or start with AA? It's called the Watershed, the board's software said I can't post the URL but it's pretty obvious.

Anyone's advice or opinion will be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-01-2006, 05:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are lots of methods of recovery.

Why don't you look around the board here at SR and get some more information.

The main thing is to stop drinking and to stay sober. There are lots of supportive and encouraging people here to help you.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

I don't feel comfortable telling you what to do, but I want to welcome you and wish you good luck. SR is a wonderful addition to recovery. Have you ever been to an AA meeting? You posts implies that maybe you never have. If you choose to go to the rehab, you will attend meetings there. AA is free and once you are out of rehab, it will be suggested that you continue to attend. Keep us posted on your progress and know that you are not alone and there is a solution. Take care...
Old 09-01-2006, 06:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Please understand, that although many rehabs do use the 12 step program for recovery, they are much more intense and there is a lot more going on in rehab than just the 12 steps.

The reason for no contact with family members in the beginning of the stay in rehab is to get the person who is attempting recovery to concentrate solely on themselves and the problem.

Most rehabs also have family counselling and 'family days.'

In a closed environment of a rehab facility you will get an intensive education into the addiction and a lot of great and helpful health information and ways to avoid triggers, etc. Rehab as I said is much much more than just the 12 step program.

No one can tell you which avenue to choose. As suggested read around the forums here, read the 'stickys' at the tops of the forums and that might help you make a decision.

Welcome to SR. You have found a great place to get support as you start your journey down the Road Of Recovery.

Love and (((((to all))))),
Old 09-01-2006, 06:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

My name is Vic and I am an addict! Really lucky and grateful to be here clean tonight that is for sure. Through the Grace of my HP, the fellowship of the Program, the Program of recovery, SR, I haven't had to take a drug (alcohol is a drug) since May 25, 2006 and for that I am eternally grateful.

I can not tell you what to do, however I can tell you what has worked for me. I got introduced to the program in 1996 by a 17 year old in church one day. He said it might help me. I went to a few meetings and they said that we have a disease that couldn't be cured. Well from what I understand that Jesus can cure anything. So I told my pastor that and he said that I didn't need to go back. I said thank God

In 2001 I was busted for possession and attempted burglary. I got off lucky with 3 years of probation, however I wasn't in denial or maybe I still was. I went to the meetings everyday. I have had a few relapses, but since 2002 I have only used maybe a total of 90 days if that. Now from each relapse you should learn something! A relapse isn't a bad thing if you learn. Well I relapsed in 2004 and I had almost two years clean. Obviously I didn't learn from it because I had the same lesson in February of this year. I had almost a year then. Now I have learned that lesson and I think that I am finally on the path that others before me have taken.

I have never been to a in-patient treatment, however this time I checked into a out-patient on my own. I have 4 weeks left until I "Graduate". The reason that is in brackets is because we never graduate. I have graduated before and then got High. So meetings and the Program are my treatment center and I get treated everyday. Thanks for letting a junkie like me share.

Love Vic
Old 09-01-2006, 06:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR and congrats on your decision As to the advice all I can say is ditto to the advice given before.

Kevin
Old 09-01-2006, 06:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Hello and welcome to SR! Congratulations on making that first, tough step and admitting you have a problem. I wouldn't want to tell you what to do, either, but I will share what has worked for me. I had to go the treatment route. As Laurie said, the reason they limit contact with family is so the recovering person can concentrate on him/herself. They don't want you to bring in perfumes, lotions, and such is because many of them contain alcohol and someone desperate enough may try to ingest them. That may sound crazy to you, but it does happen--I assure you.

My suggestion? Make a list of the pros and cons of each of your choices. Make a decision based on that. And keep posting!!!
Old 09-01-2006, 07:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your replies. I haven't been to AA in person but I have done a couple online meetings. I tried Rational Recovery but am concerned about some things the author has said, particularly on his blog. I really want to stay motivated to quit, I don't leave my house enough and I am dodging my family's calls because I am so embarrased about this, at this point I am lying by not bringing it up. There is major family history here, my uncle just died from prescription abuse and alcoholism (we weren't close), my dad is mentally disabled from drinking so heavily and I am estranged from him bc he was abusive, three out of four grandparents, all my uncles. I know I am headed to jail or worse if I keep it up, I'm not breaking laws yet but it it is so hard not to go buy more sometimes. My neighborhood is litterally surrounded by liquor stores.

I really like the pro and con list idea. I will try that out.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I unused...Im Sharon and Im an Alcoholic. By the grace of my HP and people in these rooms I havent had a drink of alcohol since 8-11-90 and for that Im truely grateful.

There are many people in recovery, where some have gone thru rehab and others by just walking thru the doors of AA in their neighborhood.

Me, i entered rehab back in Aug. 90 as a result of my family doing an intervention on me. They did for me what i couldbt do for myself.

Rehab is a closed controlled enviroment where you r not tempted by alcohol or drugs. Only the tools and knowledge of recovery are handed to u to learn from.

I was to only stay 2 weeks and then transfered to a halfway house out of state back in Louisiana. Since i was already taken away from my little family and I didnt want to be gone any longer than i had to....well they told me i wasnt ready to be on my own after those 2 weeks and that i wasnt going to stay sober...well a deal was made to where i could complete 28 days in rehab followed by a 6 week outpatiant aftercare program.

I took the advice and suggestion passed on to me seriously as my life depended on it. From the moment i stepped foot in rehab...i had the desire and willingness to go to any lengths to stay sober no matter what.

But then that worked for me and my situation...for others...their situations work well for them....many have walked into AA on their own and have proven to others that they too can stay sober no matter what.

Getting sober and staying sober is a personal accomplishment. To stay sober u have to do this for you and no one else.

Anyway...i hope this helps some.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Congratulations for seeking answers to your drinking.
Alcoholism is a disease and it is progressive.
I suggest you get more factual info

My favorite book on alcoholism is
"Under The Influence"
and it has a sequel..."Beyond The Influence"

Both can be ordered from Amazon...

Glad to see a new member...we do understand and you are not alone.

Welcome to SR!
Old 09-01-2006, 09:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks, I needed that!

I've been on here pretty much all night. My husband had me trash all the alcohol so after midnight I can wait it out until morning-I am not a bar person bc I lose track of my intake buying individual drinks. I am going to do an AA meeting tomorrow before I make my final decision, I am just so nervous about residential rehab. My husband says not to worry about anything but he gets overwhelmed with the chaos in the house so easily that I worry about him dealing with our kids and having everything on his plate. My bed is scheduled to open up Sunday and I am sure that someone else will take it if I don't. This place is in a tiny doctor's office type facility and I worry about this being the right rehab for me. My husband's at our other terminal going "there are no statistics on this website" and I'm like "only four testimonials, too"

I'll make it one way or the other-I have a big book and a 12&12 they really help motivate me so I know that AA involvement is a big help. I think that there is a weekly SOS meeting downtown.

I just can't wait to be able to say "It's been a month, six months, a year" I can't wait to tell my mom "Yes, I am an alcoholic, no I am not drinking now" I can't wait until my husband and kids tell me how happy they are bc I don't drink. I can't wait until I'm not fighting this. I can clean up for a while but without support I won't make it. I've been in therapy for four years but it's not helping and I have to make peace with that.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi, I've heard of the Watershed but don't know much about it. There are two other facilities that seem to be very very good. One I know for a fact is because it helped my sister immensely and the other one we interact with at dances and stuff. If you're interested PM me and I'll give you the information on them as well as one other where I haven't had experience but members of my group with longterm sobriety have sobered up.

Congratulations on going to your first AA meeting. What end of town are you in? I am on the East side (Channelview area) and we have an awesome group. If you would be interested in checking it out or need help to find one close to you let me know and I'll do whatever I can.

I detoxed at home and it was awful. I didn't realize how dangerous it could be until I joined here a year later. I am very thankful that nothing bad happened.

Anyways, welcome aboard and I hope toget to know you better!
Kellye
Old 09-02-2006, 04:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I can't say much that hasn't already been said. Rehab will offer your a tremendous education about the disease of addiction as well as insight about yourself. It tends to help break through the barrier of denial that so many of us have, even those subtle barriers.

Treatment will give you a fabulous foundation for recovery. I learned things there that would have otherwise taken years to figure out just going to meetings. I also have very fond memories of the people I went there with as well as the staff. Honestly, I needed a place safe, not only to detox, but to get a little time under my belt without the availability of alcohol confronting me every day in the first few weeks.

Glad you're here and hope you make the best decision for your recovery!
Old 09-02-2006, 06:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Most of recovery is about "surrendering"

I use my trip to rehab as a "practice run" so to speak.

Knowing that my best thinking got me to where I was -- I was determined to do it someone else's way...and because their were successes for others -- it motivated me to try --

We want it now, how we want it (it's the nature of addiction)

but first and foremost -- you must be honest -- if you can't be honest with these people -- I wouldn't go -- buut rehab was for me a great opportunity for me

good luck and prayers

J.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Leigh

If you are speaking of the watershed in Boca *****, Florida, it is a wonderful treatment center. I went there several years ago and I learned so much about myself and my addiction. They have wonderful councelors and doctors and they really seem to care. Whatever you decide, just remember you can do it, you are in my prayers.Leigh
Old 09-02-2006, 10:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
REZ

The bottom line, as far as I am concerned, is that you eventually need to start working the 12 steps, whether you go to treatment first or not. I have seen too many people complete treatment, and then decide that they are "cured" only to crash and burn again. The reall work begins when you leave treatment and have to deal with the outside world.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Just got off the phone with the coordinator. She said that if I self-detox my insurance won't cover it and I might need to have more alcohol to "maintain" and my husband hates that idea. He says I'm not that bad but if I'm not that bad why go to treatment at all? He thinks I need to keep toughing it out until tomorrow but I can't afford for the insurance to not pay for this. Another thing is that we are having a hard time getting an exact payment schedule and being offered yoga and massage is really not what I am looking for in terms of explicit info on treatment programs. I asked what the psychodynamic approach to treatment there is bc I have done rational emotive therapy for four years and need a different approach but I am not sure if she knew what I meant. Group and individual therapy is not a correct awnser. Can't even tell me who is in practice there and I noticed they are hiring many staff positions at my location so maybe this is a rough time for THEM.

This is the one in Houston, they just opened up I think. It's in this really little bldg. There are bigger doctor's offices here. I am seeing tiny rooms and spending a month at this location is intimidating. My house has a bigger lot and I am in a regular neighborhood!

But LeighC brings up good points that this is a great opportunity for me and I dont' want to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Maybe I should just ask for a different place on the waiting list? My insurance company is supposed to call me back to talk with one of their treatment people but I am afraid to make a decision with someone who has a vested interest in saving money on my treatment.

I'm this close to saying no, I'm getting a new psychologist who does hypnotherapy, getting a referral to his favorite MD and doing 90 in 90. Really really close as more red flags come up. Like "just bring a big book and spend money in our bookstore"
Old 09-02-2006, 11:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Unused, keep reading around here and posting here. Detoxing from alcohol by yourself can be dangerous (It depends on how much you drink and your own body's physiology). But it also takes a few days and you would not be detoxed by tomorrow if you have not had any since last night. In the psychodynamic approach, the therapist guides you to explore your past all the way back to early infancy to find out what happened to you to cause your behaviors today. This may be insightful, but you also need the tools to achieve sobriety. Hopefully you will learn some at the rehab place, but if not you can pick them up at AA or Smart recovery later. As I said before, detoxing by yourself can be dangerous, really dangerous. You should do it under medical supervision. IF not at this place, I hope you find another place to go to. Dont worry about the co-pay, your life is worth it.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the detox from alcohol takes at least 3 days to work through, so you won't be finished detoxing by tomorrow.

I hope you can find a path that will work for you. In the meantime SR can offer lots of support and information.

Have you checked out this? It's called Quitting: What to expect and it's shared information from SR members:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-expect.html
Old 09-02-2006, 12:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks! This is the first board I've tried where I felt unconditionally supported and I am grateful to everyone here!

I just got off the phone with my insurance company. Not ony was this facility out of network, my company doesn't ever cover inpatient rehab without having first tried intensive outpatient services. We were just going to get stuck with thousands of dollars in medical bills. I feel as if we have been lied to. Thank goodness I didn't go get maintenence booze.

So I'm off to my first AA meeting at 6:30 and they follow that discussion meeting with an 8:00 speaker. I will stay for that unless I get a red flag. My red flag detector is still working thank Heaven, or should I say HP now?

And don't worry if I get any weird feelings or anything I will go to the detox. I will do what I have to to kick this in the rear.