Notices

New, need advice!

Old 09-02-2006, 12:32 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Lightbulb

Glad you've found out the facts and are moving in the right direction for yourself and your family!

Way to Go!!!
Old 09-02-2006, 12:51 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Mitchki, I just talked to the people at my insurance company (PHD/MD) and they said I won't have problems with the detox. And the website says to bring $300-$500 for materials, that they aren't included with the treatment program. I am eligible for intensive outpatient coverage. I know I am worried that I'm not making the right decision too so I am going to AA for more advice and support, talking to my husband and family, and keeping this forum on my desktop, reading the sticky posts and getting advice. I wish I was covered for inpatient but it's a tough call to put that much money on the credit card. They won't even give me a breakdown of charges. Luckily there are a zillion rehabs around here. All these big corporations keep them full with random drug testing.

I'm going to get Under/Beyond the Influence with the B&N gift card my poor dad slipped to me through Sis. I'm going to read all the forums. I can't wait to help and inspire other people, one thing I love about recovery is that hopefully I can share it.

I just have to keep fighting these pesky whiskey cravings and maybe start on some herbs to help like Kudzu or Milk Thistle. I'm craving salt too! Some of my sober in-laws are health care professionals so I can get advice 24/7.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:33 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by UnusedPortion
Mitchki, I just talked to the people at my insurance company (PHD/MD) and they said I won't have problems with the detox. And the website says to bring $300-$500 for materials, that they aren't included with the treatment program.
I just have to keep fighting these pesky whiskey cravings and maybe start on some herbs to help like Kudzu or Milk Thistle. I'm craving salt too! Some of my sober in-laws are health care professionals so I can get advice 24/7.
Is some of that money for food? I'd ask what it's for. Maybe CBT books? Can't imagine 3-500 for materials! What materials? I went to a great outpatient rehab that actually gave me food cupons.. but it was through the local rural hospital. I think the medical detox is worth everything. I am unclear as to whether or not you are still active or not. If you've already detoxed yourself, I'd read everything I could get my hands on about recovery, go to AA meetings and other support groups and let your determination and the support of your family do the rest. Of course I'd stick close to SR because online support, especially here is invaluable. For me the outpatient experience was more like group therapy. Yeah, I learned some but I didn't have the 28 days that inpatient provides to think just about ME. No dishes, no laundry no cooking dinner and no entertaining! I got a lot out of that! To only talk recovery for 28 days is a great beginning and I recommend it to everyone who can afford it. It's so unfortunate that with alcohol and drug use causing so many health issues down the line that more insurance companys don't cover it. Mine didn't either... only detox but I was a "hard" case. Tried to jump out of the car on the way and then attempted to bribe the intake guy at the rehab to give me my ativan!! My husband put it on a credit card without any hesitation cuz he knew I had to be locked up.

Keep in touch and let us know how you're doing.. we be here for ya.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I MADE IT!!!!!

I went to the clubhouse shaking in my boots, terrified bc I look like crap lately and I'm so shy IRL right now...But I went and sat on a bench and followed everyone inside like I knew what I was doing. I ended up in an NA meeting by mistake, which I actually qualify for bc of the pounds of herb I have smoked and the drugs I experimented with...(gee maybe that is part of the problem, duh!)

Well, it was the hardest thing I have ever done and one of the most intense experiences in my life. I fought tears half the time!!! And at the end of the meeting I took a keytag which I guess is what that group uses as a chip.

I was invited to stay and talk after the meeting but all of my anxiety disorders kicked in and I ran off. I promise I will apologise at the next meeting bc I would hate to see people feeling like I am a snob or that they lost a chance to work on their 12 step. One of the scary things is that I know we are all obligated to one another...

I ran to the bookstore before and picked up Under the Influence. I think this will really help my family members and I alot. Beyond was sold out. While I was at the stores there were people camped out in both recovery sections, one lady crying in her husband's lap in a B&N armchair...I found myself praying for her and fighting those tears as I heard her husband say on the cell "she's managed to stay off it for now"

I am totally thunderstruck at the way my emotions are coming back in huge waves, barely controllable levels. I had to blare my music on the way to the meeting to drown them out somewhat.

I got some phone numbers and a newcomer's book. And the best thing of all was that I found the strength to MAKE IT HOME SOBER!!!

My husband and I have hope and that is the best thing that we have shared in so long. My kids and dogs can't stay off my lap lately, I just have to face extended family members soon and that is scary.

Now I wasn't ever addicted to drugs per se but when the weed was weak or I was out or whatever I turned to booze. It took over my whole life while I thought "at least it's legal." I am at a crossroads, should I continue with NA or AA or both?

to all!
Old 09-03-2006, 12:51 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Recovering perpetual kid...

UP, do what works for you... I mainly go to AA meetings because that is my main D.O.C. but, I qualify for NA too and will hit a meeting. Fortunately I am subject to UA's at work and this has been a great deterant to herb and other drugs, but didn't keep me sober. You are making positive steps and heading in the right direction. As long as it works, keep doing it. If you find yourself in trouble again, consider your options and try another form of treatment and recovery.

Hang loose, Doc.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:12 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Super!! Forward you go!

Look in the back of "Under" for the
eating plan. I followed it in early recovery
and found it immensely helpful.

On page 1 19 Blackouts are explained.
That was a big eye opener for me!

I suggest you give both Na and AA a try...
personally..I have not been to NA so can not share
on the differences.

I am sooo proud to see you finding your way!
Old 09-03-2006, 02:23 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

I'm really happy for you! How exciting to have a whole new wonderful life in front of you!! You Go!

As for which meetings.. I qualify for all of them. Probably most of us do. I was primarily a drug user but it was booze that kicked my azz! I had an AA sponsor but would go to any meeting convenient to what I was doing and where I was including alanon.

Old 09-04-2006, 10:26 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks for your support, everyone, I plan to work on these suggestions seriously. Went out and got the NA book, and some other books like "High Bottom Drunk", "Turnabout", "Drinking, a Love Story" and "Sober for Good" and I hit my THIRD meeting tonight.

I got invited to a different meeting tomorrow night to check out some "Hardcore MF's" so hopefully that will help me stay motivated and get a different picture of the program.

I'm throwing myself in right now, reading and working on steps 1,2, and 3. I guess we all know 1 is taken care of huh? Fighting that one kept me in the sauce. Now I get powerlessness and surrender in a way that is such a blessing, I guess you'd have to be one of us to understand.

Thanks for listening to this longwinded noob.