Notices

Drinking is $%@ing expensive!

Old 08-23-2006, 10:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking is $%@ing expensive!

A little perspective from yesterday that made me laugh. My digital camera crapped out on me. So I need a new one. I found a really nice one for $340. 340 bucks! That's a lot of cash, so I went home to think about it. And while at home I realized $340 amounts to 2 week's drinking for me! I was averaging $40/night 4 nights a week = $160 week X 2 weeks = $320. And that's just money spent at bars. Throw in at least $20 for "pre-boozing" at home..... and that's enough to buy that camera in 2 week's time. So here I am fretting about the price of this camera that I need for my career... but I have no qualms about consistently blowing $700/month on booze. And that's an average, stay-local month! That doesn't include "Going big". Going to a big club for a $100 night.... trips to Vegas (with $40 covers and $9 beers.) Trips to Havasu for ALL DAY drinking marathons, etc. Wow. I am going to be soooooooo rich. Hahahaha...
Old 08-23-2006, 11:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

True, true! Isn't it funny. I never thought twice about how much I spent on liquor and then cringe at spending $12.00 for coffee beans. Heck, I'd usually spend more than $12.00 a day on booze!
Old 08-23-2006, 11:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

y'all got a point. at least 15 dollars a day for booze. thats 350 a month and i complained about rent.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recent graduate of 12 steps

Absolutely true. Before my wife would complain that i was dipping into the savings too much. I'd show her my bank statements each month reflecting all the times I had to stop at the grocery store. Then realized that most of it was in the liquor department and once I stopped I didn't have to dip into the savings to pay bills and now I can buy things for myself that last longer than a couple hours...if that long.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

About a year and a half ago before I really knew I needed to quit, but was just evaluating the problem. (Doesn't matter if you know you have a problem if you don't WANT to quit...) Anyway, I listed out my monthly expenses. And my drinking was the second largest expense after rent! Bigger than my car payment and insurance combined! Far bigger than gas for the month... even now at $3/gallon. Far bigger than food! I'm single. I don't have a wife / kids / mortgage, so I CAN get away with it. I can afford it. But there's far better things to spend your money on.... or invest! Or save.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Mattman,

Sober Recovery recommends a CBA...a Cost/Benefit Analysis...the benefits and drawbacks of drinking. Anyway, $$$ was one of my issues. A daily habit of a few martinis and a bottle of wine (all at home) fetched a solid $20.00/day, 7 days/week, 52 weeks/year/ 15 years. UGH!!!

And here I was cutting coupons and wondering where all the money went.

Good post. A reminder that booze robs us of so, so much.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Dreamz do come true!!!

Its terrible isn't it. I would spend $400 on meth per week, and then I'd whinge because petrol was starting to get so expensive - and blame my empty wallet on the fuel prices!!!
Old 08-23-2006, 05:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
LEARNING TO LIVE AGAIN

Cool Owe the exspenses

Not to mention the cost of the consequences of drinking DUIs 10,000 at least a piece and then having to get rides or pay to get some where you need to go and having to go see a probation officer missing work ect. So I have learned over the last 18months of sobriety it still costs for a while afterwards too. let alone the cost of insurance and drivers license reinstatement fees oh the list goes on and on.
well I think you heard enough weigh the options sobreiety is alot cheaper !!!!!

Alcohol :uzi2: LIVE LIFE ON LIFES TERMS
Old 08-23-2006, 10:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Oh man... I forgot about the insurance... -sigh-

So far my last two "nights out" combined have cost me about $6,300 total I think, and I haven't even been to court yet... Nor does it include the increased charges on some bills that I haven't been able to pay this month...

[Looks down and slowly shakes his head] ... I'm such an idiot.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Stupid me... I should have known better than to try to "be human"...

. . .

Okay, okay... I know... Its the disease talking...
Old 08-24-2006, 02:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GreenTea
[Looks down and slowly shakes his head] ... I'm such an idiot.
uhh, I think that should read "I'm such an alcoholic"
At least you burst through your denial bubble.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Last Wednesday morning, I stumbled in about the time I had to get my daughter up for school...yeah....6 A.M. and when she told me she needed lunch money, I had to tell her to use her own money, I had none. What sucks is I had about $80 when I left the house on Tuesday night! And although I felt so horrible that entire day, it still didn't stop me from doing it again on Saturday night...spent every dime I had. Thankfully that was the last time I drank. Correction...the last time I will EVER drink!!!!
Old 08-24-2006, 06:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have spent so much money on alcohol I can't even add it up and if you include money it costs when I got my DWI's, I could be rich right now or at least more well off if I had put that money in a savings account instead of wasting it no telling how much I would have accumulated of years I know it would be a lot of money.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Me too. I could spend $60 to 100 in a weekend at the bar but hate to spend even half that amount on stuff I need like clothes for work or shoes. Sheesh, priorites screwed up for sure.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by buhda
Not to mention the cost of the consequences of drinking DUIs 10,000 at least a piece and then having to get rides or pay to get some where you need to go and having to go see a probation officer missing work ect. So I have learned over the last 18months of sobriety it still costs for a while afterwards too. let alone the cost of insurance and drivers license reinstatement fees oh the list goes on and on.
well I think you heard enough weigh the options sobreiety is alot cheaper !!!!!
Oh ya, my DUI this April cost me over $15,000.00. And that is NOT an exageration.
However, it also bought me back my life. I've been sober ever since! Almost 5 months!
Old 08-24-2006, 10:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Imagine if coke/crank/ice/meth dealers took credit cards?

I went to rehab with a woman who was in denial about her drinking (she only drank the best wine) until her husband saw her credit card bill. What do you think it was??????????????????
16,000.00 on good wine for one year!
Old 08-24-2006, 11:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think the only ones not benefitting from me not drinking are the Miller Brewing Company and the makers of Tylenol!
Old 08-24-2006, 12:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~ 5 ~

LOL Ruby

I know personally Anheuser-Busch is wondering how to pay for $3.00 a gallon fuel now because of me LOL.

i know it is sadder that i knew how to spel that without looking
Old 08-24-2006, 01:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~ 5 ~

I just did some math.......

say in a normal week i drank 4 or 5 nights, i would buy a case of beer so that is around 100$ a week that is $5300 a year plus about 6 or 8 trips to the bar or other events adds another $1500.00or more so ..................SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!!!!!!! omg i feel stupid.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I agree I think Budweiser is losing a lot of money since I quit drinking! I used to be one of their biggest customers!