Notices

Social Anxiety Disorder

Old 08-30-2003, 06:53 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Big kitty nose hugs

Anna
Oh, girl you are so young!!! I am so happy that you are so very smart! and you have so much knowledge about you. This is so very exciting to me! Pinpointing what we need to work on is half the battle. We are not freaks..please remember that. And you are not alone here.
I know how awful the social anxiety is..i have it too. But let me tell you I am 42 years old and just realized I have it a couple months ago!!! I had never even heard of it before.
Please dont ever give up on your goals and dreams..not ever..i wish you could promise me this!! You can do it, I know that you can. I truly have confidence in such a young, bright, articulate, insightful young lady such as yourself. You have a good heart too..so see you have an awful lot going for you and an awful lot to share with the world.
Abraham Lincoln suffer from manic depression...way back when they really had no treatments to help this. He became the president of the united states!!! There are many many others who have a little extra to deal with. It only means that what we accomplish may be a little harder or take a little longer..but we will still accomplish!!!
I am glad that you are here..and I really do hope that you keep posting.
Old 08-31-2003, 12:48 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Paused

wow!! thanku ever so much for that wonderful and kind reply. last nite i didnt really have the time to write properly...and nor do i now!! hopefully sometime soon (maybe tomorrow) ill have the time to go into greater detail. thankyou so much though for such a brilliant and speedy response!! ill write more soon, and start speaking to you in a little more detail hopefully!!

thankoyu so much,
anna. xx
hugs of hope!
Old 08-31-2003, 01:40 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Welcome to the forum Anna.

Hugs,
MG

Old 08-31-2003, 02:16 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Big kitty nose hugs

Anna
I just wanted to let you know that i will be offline for a while. And you will be in my thoughts..I wish the very best for you. Please keep posting..there are so very many wonderful people here on the boards who can share a gold mine with you. Have you checked out Women in Recovery Board?
Morning Glory here on this board is very knowlegeable about us..and the things we go through.
Old 08-31-2003, 03:04 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks for the topc MG. I've always considered myself shy but not diagnosable(if you know what I mean). I too have a hard time mixing with people(strangers) making conversation and meeting new people. But I never thought of that as being debilitating or harmful. I thought that that was just the way I was. Not the most sociable person you've ever met, but so what. Well reading this post has got me to thingking about more therapy. I think we can all benefit from that sort of thing.

My concern about therapy is do I really have a treatable problem SAD or am I just a little shy and its no big deal really? And so what if I never grew out of it if in general my life is relatively happy?

Your initial post said there is a big difference between shyness and SAD. Who determines what it is I suffer from, if in fact I have anything to worry about? Doctors? Me? Parents? Friends?
Old 09-01-2003, 01:26 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Hi Ninerfan,

I think it's totally up to you whether you work on this or not. I have it to the point of being very uncomfortable at times, but it hasn't stopped me from doing what I need to do or what I want to do. It would be really nice to feel comfortable in social situations, but it's not at the top of my list. I think if we continue to work on the other areas of recovery that this may take care of itself. I'm not good at idle chit chat. I've tried watching how other people, who are good at it, act and learn from them.

It can be quite debilitating or harmful to some people though and then I think it needs to be addressed in therapy.

Hugs,
MG

Old 04-14-2004, 11:01 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Re: Social Anxiety Disorder

to the top