Notices

Medication Side Affects

Old 10-10-2005, 07:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Medication Side Affects

This is just my experence with my doctor today. I'd like to share for your consideration and my commitment to change. I was talking to him about the medication sapping alot of my energy. He spoke very open to me. He asked my weight. I'm at 225 now. He asked what other medications I were on. High Blood Pressure, I told him. He mentioned that almost 3 years ago when discharged from V A I was 195, not on pressure medication. I had listed on my recovery plan excercise program. He said," Although lack of energy is a side affect, how can I be sure some of it isn't the 25 extra pounds. I had to admit that instead of excercising to releive my stress, I was eating. I have decided to put my commitment here in writing. I'm going to get down to at least 200, I'm going to go back to at least some excercise. He spoke to me about his belief that Anti Depresants are interactive medication. Proper diet and excercise will help move the medication through your body. Your body will retain what it needs and dispose of rest. He comared it to the adds for diet pills. By the way, he suggest we not use diet pills with our medication.
It would be great if we could just take a pill and sit with a pizza in front of TV. And lose the weight. Anyway, I was a little upset at first with him. However, sometimes what I don't want to hear is what I need to hear. Don W
Old 10-11-2005, 10:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Don,

I am having side effects from my meds, too...and, I would like to share the commitment with you to exercise more. I am exercising but I need to step it up. It seems I am not motivated to do any more because...well...I am lazy. It is like a viscious cycle--now I find myself eating for comfort/stress instead of exercisng. Those Halloween candies are all over the stores beckoning to me.
Blood pressure issues, cholesterol and depression can be helped by daily exercise...and...herein, I am putting my commitment here in writing, too.
So. Off I go to the bike trails. Got the heating pad all ready for when I return.

Thanks for making me see what I needed to, today, Don.
Vivian
Old 10-11-2005, 03:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Wolf, let's go with it. Somebody gave me a suggestion at the V A Hospital today. He suggest I incorporate some of my excercise with my daily activities. I work on the third floor of the hospital here. Today, I started to use the stairs instead of elevator.
Or maybe choose the long way to the store. Maybe walk a few bus stops then get on.
You can start to see your progress during the day. Each time you make a decision that will help your excercise, you'll feel good about yourself. In my case, even if I walk 1 floor and progress. Or take the long way everyother trip. I have an idea. Each day we and others that wish to join in can mention what they did to change their routine.
I'll start. Today, I took the stairs to my office, instead of having 2 pumpkin muffins I only had 1. Instead of 2 sugars I only put 1 in my decaffienated coffee. I believe you have to proceed by comparrison. Example, sue maybe fruit better than muffin but, it is better than none. Maybe I only make one stair trip, still better than none. Maybe someone replaces only 2 coffees a day with decaf. It's all progress. I love ice cream. I'll never be able to deprive myself. So, last night I had 3 spoon fulls. Use to downing the hole pint and quart at times. You know our pets love to walk and be outside. I can combine the dog walk. Maybe speed up the pace or just simply take the route with that darn hill. I'm going to use those stairs and a yard stick. At the first set I was breathing heavy. The 3rd floor I looked for oxygen. On those candies. Try just having the bite size ones. This might help your desire and you can better control the intake. A large king size candy has, I'm opened, eat all of me, all over it. Like I said let's just focus on simple things at first that changes our patterns of behavior. Remember, there dosen't have tobe an everyday accomplishment and even if we stray it doesn't erase our accomplishment. Don W
Old 10-11-2005, 06:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Wolf, I just spent the night working next to a pumpkin. It was a pumpkin filled with candy from a salesman. Mostly candy that I don't care for, Baby Ruth etc. but, that never stopped me before. A little victory but a big accomplishment. Don W
Old 10-11-2005, 08:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Awesome Don! That is a major accomplishment!
Ok here is what I did today...
I was busy with a very sick husband. I took him to the ER early this am...don't worry, he is ok for now, but will need surgery on his back, and soon.
Sooooo good reason for stress eating.
I stood fast and had a whole grain bread sandwich with Turkey and no mayo!
Then this eve, as hubby was under a drug-induced snooze, I ALMOST didn't exercise.

I made myself get up and go to the gym. Boy did that feel good. Relieved some stress, got to be with people and it kept me away from the fridge!

Don we are on our way...!!
Old 10-12-2005, 03:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That is great Wolf. I'm glad he'll be OK. If it helps, I work in a hospital. Technology in back surgery is so advance now. Many surgeries even a few years ago the would try but, do now. That was great excercise. Today, I've taken the stairs. I increased the size of the route I normally walk the dog. I'm going to get my lunch now. I'm going to go to a restaurant a little further away. Also get a smaller portion. Now this is a good way to be a loser, like that show" The Big Loser" Keep up the good work and attitude. We'll feed off of each other.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Today I weighed myself when giving my CLEAN urine sample. Lost 5 lbs. Don W
Old 10-13-2005, 07:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

WooHoo Don!

Ok, I now have some "guns"--doing tons of bicep curls and owww my arms hurt!

I did have a York Peppermint Patty today tho....
Old 10-14-2005, 05:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

And you deserved that Patty. The force be with you. Amymarie and some of us have a great thread going on in mental health. Has alot to do with PTSD for anyone interested. I may ask her permission to split it.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

I've also started to incorporate exercise into my life. Today I took the long way to the store. At school this week I walked up the hill to get to the bus stop.

I've been doing this all week and here is a thread on it!

Good job everyone.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Alera all-right!

Ok so I have to admit I have been lax these past 4 days...
Autumn to me seems a time for food, eating, baking and cooking...
Days get shorter and less daylight to exercise outside...
Is this the hibernation instinct or what?

Off to do some cycling...
how are you all doing?
Old 10-17-2005, 11:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That's OK Wolf, it's practice not perfection. We are no longer living a " all or nothing life." Do you know how many sets of weights I bought? Then if I skipped a few days, I'd give up. Hey this isn't easy. I'm married to an Italian. She has never learned to cook for 2 people. Also, she belongs to an online recipe group. This weekend, she made 4 dozen Molasses Cookies, Homemade Pinapple Bread, etc. Of course I had to eat some so she wouldn't feel bad. Ha! Ha! During the weekend I had about 8. The old Don wouldhave polished off the 4 dozen. Especially the way the Patriots played. Alera, that is great. We have been trying to encourage each other. Funny how we matched your plan. I've been doing some of the same things. Keep up the great work. If I don't, running around Universal Studio in my Captain America outfit, isn't going to be a pretty sight.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've fallen a bit on the eating, although I'm still getting some excercising in. However, even admitting it is a improvement and even an incentive. Removes the guilt of hiding my set backs. That always took so much energy and focus off the target. nobody gets a "BULLSEYE" everytime.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Right, Don.
I missed two days in a row of exercise. Dern it.
Butt...I got off of it and biked fifteen miles today. The only thing wrong
with biking up and down hills is that I get so hungry afterwards.
MMMMMMM, carrrrrbbbbssss.....
*the "doh" of Homer*
Old 10-20-2005, 10:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yes but, during those 15 miles you didn't eat, Right? I have a bike in the basement providing a home for all the spiders and their webs. To much traffic in city but, there is a bike path not to far from here. They've converted some old railroad tracks. Tell you what. I'll start with bringing it up and cleaning it. Maybe this week end I can peddle my *** all over town. Did I tell you I'm tired and getting silly, of course some would question the " getting" part. I told my wife that sometimes my medication makes me goofy. She questioned how would she know?
Old 10-20-2005, 10:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Today I took the stairs instead of the elevator. I walked up the hill at school instead of the easier sidewalk. I took the bus since its free to us students which involved a longer walk to and from the bus stops than if I had just driven.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Don't know what happened to my post. Anyway, I had some fruit today and had juice and water instead of soda. Soda is like a liquid candy bar with salt on it. Sort of like a diet coke with chocolate cake.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey how are you all doing?
I have been lax....

Haven't exercised in over a week and feel sluggish. Also eating some candy UGH!!
Time to get on the ball again and get my *** in gear!
Help! I need some encouragement and motivation! YIPES!