Notices

Depressed

Old 02-15-2021, 01:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Depressed

46 days sober....Paws, panic, anxiety....I’m walking everyday...Trying to eat right...I understand healing is slow and takes one day at a time. But it’s difficult...

Still determined to make it.

Old 02-15-2021, 02:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I hear you. It is definitely hard when anxiety and depression come out to play. And a common experience in early sobriety.

Has helped me a lot to hear of others early struggles with this in meetings. Feels less impossible to endure, somehow. Can recommend going along to some zoom meetings of whatever flavour suits you. Sometimes is wise to seek additional support as well , if it gets too sharp. Reaching out and asking for help from mental health services is an act of self care. It’s about supporting your sobriety as much as you can.

I had 73 days up then drank and now back on 33, but struggling a lot with depression and anxiety. I went back on medication nearly two weeks ago, which has helped a lot with the anxiety. Not so much the depression, yet. But this too will pass.

We can get through this. Walking with you. Xx

Old 02-15-2021, 02:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tanky View Post
I hear you. It is definitely hard when anxiety and depression come out to play. And a common experience in early sobriety.

Has helped me a lot to hear of others early struggles with this in meetings. Feels less impossible to endure, somehow. Can recommend going along to some zoom meetings of whatever flavour suits you. Sometimes is wise to seek additional support as well , if it gets too sharp. Reaching out and asking for help from mental health services is an act of self care. It’s about supporting your sobriety as much as you can.

I had 73 days up then drank and now back on 33, but struggling a lot with depression and anxiety. I went back on medication nearly two weeks ago, which has helped a lot with the anxiety. Not so much the depression, yet. But this too will pass.

We can get through this. Walking with you. Xx
Yes! Thanks for the encouragement and also hope you will endure!
Old 02-15-2021, 04:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to see you again Introvrtd. I think finding support and using it helps.
I hope the anxiety and depression gets better every day for you

D
Old 02-16-2021, 04:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

With many still experiencing cold weather, dreariness,
it can be depressing. We are having to stay inside or
closed in, which can also be depressing.

However, we are not shackled or chained inside. We have
the freedom to bundle up and go outside for a quick walk
about, which is what Im doing till this cold weather moves
out of here.

And that many not be until Saturday for us here in Louisiana.

But, I am doing a little something each day to keep the
light burning bright in my heart, mind and soul.

Which made me think about making sure to have good
lighting around me even if the sun is not shining. They
make lamps today that can give us that natural bright
light inside even if it is dreary outside.

Sunlight and natural light brightens our moods.

Also, i bundle up and walk to my bird feeders and put my
focus on our many feathered friends who bring us lots of
joy to our backyards and gardens. So, i keep my feeders
filled for them, taking the focus off my own problems, if
I have any.

Make sure they have water and food during these cold
days to brighten their own days and make their journeys
to our backyard a pleasant one.

Continue to read and learn new helpful ways to treat
anxiety, depression in sobriety so that you can be the
best, healthiest sober person you can be not only to
yourself but to those around you.
Old 02-16-2021, 05:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Hey Intro, good to see you back. As suggested, I rely heavily on support systems through recovery programs and church, and sunlight + some fresh air. Friends who understand and the outdoors are an unbeatable combination for staying sober and working our way towards a positive and happier life, you can do this!
Old 02-16-2021, 05:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

^

Old 03-07-2021, 01:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

66 Days....Still in early recovery but wanna ask a (rhetorical) question.....

Does anyone ever get that sick or strange feeling in the pit of your gut where you feel extremely sad and hopeless?....

Hasnt happened to me in a while but today I felt it...usually strikes on a late sunday afternoon...

When I was drinking....Watching the game, grilling out back and emptying my cooler of beers, or whatever...The day was fun filled, exciting, sunny, and filled with that ‘feel good’ buzz ...

Now its like that same time is filled with the gloomy, sober, sad, sickly feeling of depression that the end of the weekend is drawing near and the weekday hustle and bustle of the stress filled rat race is about to begin....

Doesnt last too long but it hits me like a baseball bat to the gut....

Im just venting and wondering if anyone feels similar at whatever time or particular part of the day or week it may be...

Thanks for reading

Old 03-07-2021, 03:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Life in recovery has never been a continuous "high" for me, even after 16 years of sobriety I still have my low moments. I mean that's what life is all about right? Happiness, sorrow, joy, sadness, elation, misery, it's a continual roller-coaster of ups and downs. And there's no clockwork rhyme or reason to it, what happens, happens. The difference now is that I don't have to control, manipulate, or stimulate these moments with alcohol, I have healthy mechanisms in place to move through these times whether it be a meeting, reading, prayer, meditation, church, fellowship with friends, or time spent with family. Or maybe it's one of the old or new hobbies I have that I can now focus on with a clearer mindset.

Looking back, I guess Sunday was my melancholy day of the week, but now it's not that way anymore. For the most part I can approach any day with a set of sober eyes and look forward to the gift that each day has become.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Astro;[url=tel:7602316
7602316[/url]]Life in recovery has never been a continuous "high" for me, even after 16 years of sobriety I still have my low moments. I mean that's what life is all about right? Happiness, sorrow, joy, sadness, elation, misery, it's a continual roller-coaster of ups and downs. And there's no clockwork rhyme or reason to it, what happens, happens. The difference now is that I don't have to control, manipulate, or stimulate these moments with alcohol, I have healthy mechanisms in place to move through these times whether it be a meeting, reading, prayer, meditation, church, fellowship with friends, or time spent with family. Or maybe it's one of the old or new hobbies I have that I can now focus on with a clearer mindset.

Looking back, I guess Sunday was my melancholy day of the week, but now it's not that way anymore. For the most part I can approach any day with a set of sober eyes and look forward to the gift that each day has become.
True....I have a lot to learn
Old 03-07-2021, 06:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Does anyone ever get that sick or strange feeling in the pit of your gut where you feel extremely sad and hopeless?....
Astro is right that not every day is a diamond but when you're routinely depressed for a long time thats a sign of a problem.

and yeah its come back to me with COVID.

Hopefully we will find that the vaccines are a game changer, but even with the minimal interruption to normal life I've had here, it's still something I find myself stuck on from time to time.

I've been taking vitamin D for a while now and it seems to work for me - there's a distinct correlation between me not taking vitamin D and the sadness returning - maybe its a placebo, I don't know....or maybe not going out in the sun scootering around everyday like I used to has out me out of whack.

Of course I'm not you - you'd have to check with your own doctor about it.

D
Old 03-08-2021, 12:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Astro is right that not every day is a diamond but when you're routinely depressed for a long time thats a sign of a problem.

and yeah its come back to me with COVID.

Hopefully we will find that the vaccines are a game changer, but even with the minimal interruption to normal life I've had here, it's still something I find myself stuck on from time to time.

I've been taking vitamin D for a while now and it seems to work for me - there's a distinct correlation between me not taking vitamin D and the sadness returning - maybe its a placebo, I don't know....or maybe not going out in the sun scootering around everyday like I used to has out me out of whack.

Of course I'm not you - you'd have to check with your own doctor about it.

D
Yeah
Old 03-08-2021, 05:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I know that the lockdowns and mandates are different around the world. We're a little bit rebellious where I live, that's no secret! Fortunately I'm able to get out every day to exercise and enjoy the great outdoors. I still fish, hunt, bicycle, hike, camp, etc. My heart is heavy for those who are quarantined and isolated, I can't say I wouldn't suffer or be depressed under those circumstances.