Notices

Weight gain on a benzo...

Old 12-06-2020, 08:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weight gain on a benzo...

Hello!

So, I've been taking klonopin, in addition to an ssri and a beta blocker, daily for about 5 years. I feel like I finally found the combination that works for me and all my mental health crap!

That being said, I was always a naturally skinny person. Over the past 5 years i have gained over 70 pounds. I never thought it may be related to the meds, just assumed it was a part of aging and my metabolism changing.

However, my psychologist said it may be the klonopin. I'm at a great place anxiety wise - working from home since March has certainly had its perks! I'm no longer taking the klonopin daily, only taking it if I need it now. It's been 3 weeks, and I've lost about 10 pounds! I'm in shock!

I did some googling - which is never a good thing regarding medical stuff, and found lots of people talking about weight gain, but also lots of people talking about losing weight! I think we just all react differently to medications....

I guess my question is - have any of you lost weight quickly when stopping or cutting back on a medication? I'm happy I'm losing weight, but it would be helpful to figure out why so I can keep it going! I can't think of anything else that's changed in the last 3 weeks.... seems too good to be true💙

Donny
Old 12-06-2020, 11:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Benzos usually made me over eat, so I agree they can make you gain weight. It’s great you are feeling better since you have found the right drug combo!
Old 12-07-2020, 03:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I put on a lot of weight in early recovery from packing in sweet and dense foods as a substitute for the blood sugar I was no longer getting from alcohol. The only medication I was taking was an SSRI. I've been sober quite a few years now and what I've noticed most is that diet and exercise are a huge key to my feeling healthy in recovery. Sort of a no-brainer for me, and since I started working from home I make a point of exercising throughout the day, just walks and bicycle rides, and eating as healthy as possible.