Notices

Cant stop due to anxiety

Old 12-22-2014, 10:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cant stop due to anxiety

Hi everyone. I could really use some help/advice please. I am at aloss and feel its life or death at this point.
Background: Been drinking on and off for about 7 year stretches my whole adult life. Mostly binge drinking beer and wine, about 40 drinks a week for the last 10 years. I stopped 3/3/14 when I found out my BP was 160/120, and dropped 30 lbs and went on BP drugs to lower it to 120/85, the lowest it got. I couldn't function due to anxiety for the whole 6 months-couldn't even drive my car for 15 minutes, let alone work.

I started alcohol again 3 months ago and my anxiety is much improved, but my BP is high again in addition to 15 lbs weight gain. I tried to quit 10 days ago but on the 9th day the anxiety was too severe and spiked my BP, so I drank. My head started to clear during the 9 days but I slept less each passing day till I slept 3 hours on day 8. On top of everything my bp meds don't work anymore. I feel trapped.

I am considering anti-depressants. Or quit, and be homebound, go broke slowly, and see if and when the anxiety subsides if it ever does.
I would appreciate any and all input. Thanks
Old 12-22-2014, 10:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi yanick

Altho alcohol may help in the short term, in the longer term it simply exacerbated my anxiety - as I become more and more dependent on alcohol, I would become more and more anxious when I wasn't drinking.

I'm not suggesting that abstinence would solve all your anxiety issues -n clearly in your case that's not so - but if my experience is any guide, in time it will lessen them and help you manage the rest more easily.

I had anxiety issues all my life - within a year of not drinking and working on those issues with a counsellor, I got to a point where they were no longer a major problem for me.

I would definitely consult with a medical professional.

Welcome to SR

D
Old 12-24-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Drinking may ease anxiety but after getting sober again the anxiety comes back even worse. Only way is to quit with medical help to ease the withdrawal anxiety. Meds can be given for that for a short time.

I hope you can stop drinking. Drinking only makes everything worse.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, yanick.

Great advice above from two of SR's finest.

Glad you found us.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A book that really helped me was called 7 Weeks To Sobriety. It really helps you transition from a lot of body imbalances when quitting. Hope this helps!
Old 01-03-2015, 12:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's a viscous cycle, drinking and anxiety as they feed off each other, so you end up going round round in circles.

It got to the point where I couldn't leave the house unless I was half cut.

After being sober for just under two months, with the help of my doctor, psychologist and peer support I'm at the point where I am able to go to the supermarket sober and not freak out. Yay!!

It's hard, but trust me it's doable. I would never give up the way I feel now, even for a sniff of alcohol.

I hope you will feel some comfort soon.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dainty1982 View Post
It's a viscous cycle, drinking and anxiety as they feed off each other, so you end up going round round in circles.

It got to the point where I couldn't leave the house unless I was half cut.

After being sober for just under two months, with the help of my doctor, psychologist and peer support I'm at the point where I am able to go to the supermarket sober and not freak out. Yay!!

It's hard, but trust me it's doable. I would never give up the way I feel now, even for a sniff of alcohol.

I hope you will feel some comfort soon.
So true. Great post!
Old 01-07-2015, 01:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reply's and suggestions!

I broke down and started anti-depressants for the anxiety, and drinking less-3 binges last 30 days. I am feeling pretty good, and only get anxious when I am working, and Clonidine(prescribed for BP but also prescribed for heroin patients) seems to help. My BP has also stabilized today, 10 days after my last binge.

After reading threads on this site, I am having doubts as to whether I am an alcoholic, mostly because I don't crave alcohol every day. I just cant enjoy a few when I do drink-it has to be like 10 or more. Would I be considered an alcoholic bingeing just once a week? Health and the progressively nasty hangovers are what prompted me to quit, but gotta admit I miss the entertainment value alcohol provided since I drank out of loneliness and boredom. I am already planning a "drinking day" next week. Am I in denial?
Old 01-07-2015, 05:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by yanick356 View Post
Would I be considered an alcoholic bingeing just once a week? Health and the progressively nasty hangovers are what prompted me to quit, but gotta admit I miss the entertainment value alcohol provided since I drank out of loneliness and boredom. I am already planning a "drinking day" next week. Am I in denial?
I can't tell you whether you're in denial or not. That's something I had to decide for myself.

What I believe is that normal drinkers don't binge drink and they don't plan their drinking days. It's the mental obsessiveness that makes me an alcoholic. Normal people don't think about alcohol the way I do.

I'm glad you came back and gave us an update, and it's good to hear you're taking steps to help yourself.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Yannick,

Anxiety was my excuse to drink - and it was a GOOD one. With a few beers, anxiety would immediately disappear and life felt manageable. Alas, it was just a mirage. Just like you, I had weight gain, and severe health problems, and eventually a dependancy on alcohol.

Recovering from anxiety issues takes a while. There's not a quick fix, like there is with vodka and beer. It's a gradual process. Have patience, and please see a doctor. I'd highly advise you to put down the drink as well. Seeing a doctor and quitting drinking worked wonders for me. All the best!
Old 01-09-2015, 04:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Hi Yannick,

Anxiety was my excuse to drink - and it was a GOOD one. With a few beers, anxiety would immediately disappear and life felt manageable. Alas, it was just a mirage. Just like you, I had weight gain, and severe health problems, and eventually a dependancy on alcohol.

Recovering from anxiety issues takes a while. There's not a quick fix, like there is with vodka and beer. It's a gradual process. Have patience, and please see a doctor. I'd highly advise you to put down the drink as well. Seeing a doctor and quitting drinking worked wonders for me. All the best!
Thanks for the advise. What kind of doctor are you referring to? I am seeing a MD/cardiologist....A shrink?
Old 01-09-2015, 08:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Years ago I did some meditations at a Zen Buddhist temple when I was having pretty serious wd's from benzos and had also quit drinking- the protracted kind where you're up all night and cannot sleep or stop worrying incessantly to the point you cannot function. I found that attending and practicing daily helped. There may even be a meditation based AA meeting in your area, we have them here, not in abundance but if you look around you may have luck. It is very hard work unfortunately like exercise and diet, I believe anxiety to be as much a disease as anything that requires a lot of attention and maintenance, medications alone won't fix it and can feed addiction, sadly.