Notices

Stress

Old 11-22-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

Stress

I used to suffer from a fair bit of anxiety but since I quit weed almost nine months ago, I've been relatively free of anxiety. That was until last week. It's not like any major life disaster happened but a string of things have gone wrong with our business and I've been working a lot on a volunteer project which is a lot of pressure. It sounds minor but it has me totally rattled. It feels like everything we touch goes wrong and I want to hide from the world before anything worse happens. I am just so surprised that I went from being Mrs Cool Cucumber to a complete shaking, sick mess that wants to stay in bed all day. The good part is that I haven't been tempted to smoke weed. Just the idea of it makes me panic. How awful would it be to think about these things stoned!
Old 11-22-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

The symptoms of my stress have been - lack of appetite, sick, tingly feeling all over, dizzy, headache, stunned, and wanting to cry but not being able to. It's crazy when I think that this is actually how I used to feel most of the time back when I was a workaholic doing crazy hours. I know I should eat something and go for a walk and not think about the bad stuff but instead I don't eat and I feel too dizzy and tired to exercise. I did manage to wash the car which helped calm me down a bit.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey WB

It took me a fair while to learn how to deal with stress sober.

I found having realistic expectations is vital.. If you're working too hard, stop and/or delegate...you're no use to anyone in a hospital bed.

The other thing is...take time out for self care - eat that meal, take that break...

I have an overriding principle now - nothing is more important than my well-being.

take care of yourself

D
Old 11-22-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

Yes, this stress in my mind and body is probably more damaging than anything that could have "caused" it. I just haven't had many triggers in a long time and am surprised how fast I could fall off the mellow wagon.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

Getting a bit better. On the way to work I was anxious about things like he car slipping off the road and much of the day I was buzzing with anxiety. That just shows how I have this feeling of fear and doom, like something bad could happen at any minute. It helped that the situations that were going wrong are starting to straighten out. I wish I could say that I'm handling the stress but it's more that the outside stress is getting less. If the stressful situations carried on or got worse, how would I manage? I really thought I was better equipped.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Stay strong WB! You have the tools to work through these issues, just breathe and repeat after me.... I CAN DO THIS, I CAN DO THIS, I CAN DO THIS.

Please remember how successfully you have battled your AV and don't throw away all your hard work... it is not worth it.... but you know that.

I recommend you pick up a copy of 'The Power Of Now' by Eckhart Tolle. You can also watch several talks of his on YouTube.

Be well my friend and go to your happy place!