Notices

For MootPoint ? on DID

Old 07-17-2004, 02:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

For MootPoint ? on DID

I read your post and was wondering a few things. So what happens when your alternates take over? You are aware of it? How does that feel? How were you diagnosed?

My SO and I just split up due to his alcoholism. He is a very smart man but he seems like two different people. He can talk calmly to me in a very intelligent manner and very sweetly. Then he can become quite agitated and says the f word about every 3 words and all kinds of other expletives. He also uses a lot of sexual innuendo when he is in that mode. He truly does seem like two different people and it isn't due to teh drinking. This can happen any time. Usually when he gets agitated.

His father was very physically abusive to him. He tells me beating him on a daily basis just becuase and to toughen him up. He comes from a military family. He also seems to be very insecure and suffers very low self esteem and has a lot of paranoia. How do I find out more about DID??

what do you think? I am not asking you to diagnose just provide me a little more info or more details on your experience.
Old 07-17-2004, 03:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

I have a whole bunch of non information for you with a little advice.

Firstly, I did a MSN search on Dissociative Identity Disorder. Turned up lots of good stuff. I'd really suggest getting into your search engine and reading like a maniac!

You know that alcoholism changes ppl's personalities, but you say he's like this when he's NOT drunk. I would suggest you also ask your question in the Al Anon forum because I'm not sure how much of the behaviour changes due to alcoholism can carry over to when he's NOT drinking. My s/o says that i was inconsistent at the best of times. I'd also suggest Al Anon for just plain dealing with it.

Re it being DID? That's extremely tough. That diagnosis would take quite a bit of work from his pdoc and Therapist (if he has one). Childhood abuse can definitely cause DID. But.... he doen't have to have formed Alters (a requirement for DID) to have different facets to his personality. And there are many forms of dissociation! Do that websearch!

Technically, I have DIDnos, Dissociative Identity Disorder not otherwise specified. I was diagnosed by a couple of T's and a Pdoc. I liken mine to riding in a car..... there are two seats. ONe seat has the main driver, one has a passenger. I could be driving, or an Alter can be driving. So I have consecutive memory the whole thing through. Although, after a bit of time, pieces of the memory start falling away, like bits of a puzzle. WHen an alter is "driving', I feel spacey and distant.

For instance, when Viper is in the driver's seat, I can be extremely volitile, when Aspis is there, I am calm and analytical. All the while "me" feeling distant.

I hoped I helped a bit.
Old 07-18-2004, 06:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

Thank you Moot Point. Thanks for sharing. Take care and enjoy the rest of the weekend!!

Nightowl