Notices

Paranoia

Old 07-13-2004, 07:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Paranoia

recently, i have been taking a deep look at my paranoia and talking myself out of it and rationalizing the situation. it feels good to do that instead of being nutso. i still react a little, but my thoughts arent as intense and i try to keep as calm as possible. if this doesnt work, ill just get some sort of meds for it. but, it seems to be working.
Old 07-13-2004, 09:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Self talk is a great thing Dot. The medication ideally is just temporary so you can learn other coping methods. It takes time to retrain our thought patterns. If you can function pretty well without the medication then try the other things first.

Things that help me are realizing when it's not my property. This is a good post I use for reminders.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ad.php?t=16967

There is a lot of good information on this site also.

http://www.coping.org/tools/index.htm

I really try to make myself pause when I know I'm having a reaction to a situation. I then do my self talk or vent with someone I trust or write letters I don't send or anything that brings me back down to a stable level. I have to pause for a whole day when something really bothers me. I try to plan healthy ways of handling situations before I act and weigh the consequences of my decisions knowing I'll have to pay them.

Hugs,
MG

Old 07-15-2004, 08:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks mg!
Old 07-22-2004, 06:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Update

i dont see this paranoia going away soon, but i am making it a point to tell my mom even when i think its too crazy. she helps me sort things out. so far, i want meds for it but im trying to make it work with therapy and family support. maybe i can up my meds instead of taking a new med. this stuff is just too much. i think i need a break from something, because something is making me super paranoid. i have had nightmares the past few nights (very intense ones). i even have been sleeping with my stuffed lion and yes, embarressingly enough, old baby blankets and i have classical music going all night long. :greencry:

on a more positive note, im handling my crap without running away from it! so i say, "bring it on!" (but not all at once)
Old 08-01-2004, 06:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

dotcom,
I'm glad you started this thread because this is one of the many issues that have caused be just jump from relationship to relationship. I get paranoid then my racing thoughts start which just making everything worse. I end up gettin on whoever I'm dating at the times nerves because I also have abandanment issues and a bunch of other things. The guy I am seeing now doesn't really know a lot or anything about these issues but he's helped be out with being honest. I was starting to get on his nerves and I think he hit his boiling point. So after he told me everything I saved what he said and made up a little list of things I will or won't do and his major one I need to learn to relax and chill. Well it's just not that simple when it comes to me. I rarely ever feel relaxed and when I do that's usually when I feel I am safe which usually means I'm not at home or if I am someone other then my family is with me. Ok I'm sorry I hop subjects a lot. I'm trying not to but anyways don't give up dotcom!!