Notices

Binge Thinking

Old 12-18-2013, 02:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Binge Thinking

I read this term the other day and while making me laugh it describes me to a tee!

My main problem over the years has been over thinking to the point of zero self esteem, anxiety and panic, depression, ill health (flu, pneumonia and post viral fatigue) and a 'brush' with alcoholism. What a powerful weapon the mind can be when it is turned in the way.

I've been going to counselling over the past few months whilst taking a break from work and this has really been helping. My counsellor and I have been working on mindfulness techniques as well as CBT techniques dealing directly with that pesky negative voice. When I"m disciplined about using the techniques they have really helped.

Sometimes I just wish my mind would give me a break. I'm keen to get into meditation as I've heard that really helps with relaxation and changing thought patterns. Has anyone else had experience with mediation and can share any tips?
Old 12-18-2013, 09:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

"Binge Thinking" ... I like it! Definitely describes me, too.
I haven't really gotten into meditation although I know it's something that I want to do and I'm down with anything that helps.
Kelly McGonigal includes a chapter on meditation and breathing techniques in her book: "The Willpower Instinct".

To quote a summary:
“Both exercise and meditation lead to greater neuron density in the prefrontal cortex,” says Kelly McGonigal, a psychologist at Stanford University and author of the new book The Willpower Instinct. It’s in that region that executive skills such as impulse control and judgment live — making it a very good place to be adding neuronal connections.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi George. Thanks for your message.

It's funny that you mention Kelly McGonigal as I heard her talk with Tami Simon on a series of Podcasts I listen to sometimes called Insights at the Edge. I found her really insightful so will definitely give the book a shot.

I definitely recommend Insights at the Edge. Each week Tami interviews a different spiritual teacher or visionary writer about their current work. I find it really interesting and more importantly relaxing to listen to! Some of the stuff is a little bit out there for me but I usually get something out of each of the programs.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nightswimming View Post
I definitely recommend Insights at the Edge. Each week Tami interviews a different spiritual teacher or visionary writer about their current work. I find it really interesting and more importantly relaxing to listen to! Some of the stuff is a little bit out there for me but I usually get something out of each of the programs.
Very cool! Thank you.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

binge thinking. brilliant.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My aunt over thinks herself to a point where she ends up arguing with herself because she made herself upset. She's constantly thinking about every little thing and even things in the future that hasn't happened yet.

One time she yelled at me for breaking plates I haven't broken yet because she said I was going to in the near future.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Haha, binge thinking, I love it.

I have struggled with anxiety/depression my whole life and it's led me to use pretty much anything and everything to avoid feeling it. Now that I'm totally sober, I can relate to the feeling of being bombarded by anxious, negative thoughts and feelings. I can say that meditation certainly does help, as does mindfulness. I too notice that when I'm mindful of my thoughts, feelings, actions, I feel much more in control and resist the urge to get sucked in by my anxiety much more easily. Meditation is a tool to strengthen the ability to use mindfulness in day-to-day life.

I'm certainly not an expert on meditation but I can share what I am learning and hopefully it will help you. This is how I use meditation:

I set aside about 10-15 minutes to meditate each morning (sometimes again at night). I start out with a few cycles of breathing in thru my nose and out thru my mouth. Then I breathe only in and out thru my nose. I allow myself to just be; thoughts, feelings, physical sensations all come up, and instead of running away or diving into them, I try to let them pass. Sometimes it helps to say to the thought (not out loud), "Hi, I see you. Thanks" or "No thank you" as a way to validate its existence while at the same time not attaching myself to it. When I notice myself going into a thought, I remind myself to focus on my breath and the process starts again. Sometimes meditation can bring up a lot of feelings of panic and worry; sometimes I feel like I'm about to panic and totally loose control. I know that in these moments it is my anxiety trying to take control--my anxiety hates when I do positive things for myself and don't focus solely on her! Sometimes, while meditating, the moments of peace and clarity can quickly turn into anxiety as well...these moments are enlightening too because they show me how hard it can be to sit with the good in life. After I am done, I like to take my journal and write about the experience: what were the nature or my thoughts? The quantity? What was the dominant feeling? Where did I get stuck? Were there any pleasant moments? What were they like?

The benefit of this process is it's helpful to reflect on throughout my day. For example, if I get panicky while on the train, I can remember feeling panic during my meditation and how it eventually passed when I focused on my breathing instead of on the panic. I can then apply this technique while on the train/at work/with friends, etc and get out of that mindset.

I'm learning that it's definitely a 24/7 job, but it is effective!

I hope that helps!
Old 01-11-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Meditation and yoga are my saving grace right now. I am extreme panic attack/anxiety. 3rd morning I have gotten up early(since I can't sleep anyways) and stretch, do few yoga positions and then sit down fold legs and attempt it. I say attempt because many times my body says sc@*w you, I am not relaxing or sitting still. so I get up and try again in a bit.
dollydagger said it perfectly..
Old 01-11-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Binge thinking! Thanx for that one
Old 01-25-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Binge thinking! Exactly!

what makes the most sense to me is the "brush with alcoholism". for me, it is just one more thing on the list. My social anxiety is my overwhelming hurdle to get through and has been for 20 years. I go through phases when I am working out for 2+ hours a day..so my mind if a bit quieter and I feel better and get really fit. Unfortunately, this is my 3rd "cycle" repeating itself ...I am now on the end where I am back at the gym in efforts to lose the 40+ pounds I regained last year. ugh.

Yoga has helped me in the past.....

Thank you for this thread.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't know binge thinking makes it sound cute when its not. Maybe I am overly sensitive as i have this disorder. Its called obsessive thought disorder and its a real OCD.

I right now am on luvox for it and its helped somewhat. It took almost a month for it to set in though and I had a nervous break down. My man problem is obsessive thoughts on the financial american collapse and I tend to obsess over becoming homeless. Basically worst case scenarios is what I obsess over. I also obsess over time and making lists.

I have been perscribed a type of benzo but I try not to take it with my addiction histlry. Hope that helps! The luvox does help it just is an older drug so it takes a while to build up.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Dollydagger, thanks for your post. That was really insightful. Sounds like meditation is working well for you and is the logical next step for me. I confess I've been lazy about trying it and using more quick fixes over the last couple of weeks (Facebook, TV etc) but I'm determined to make a start and carry on my recovery now my counselling course is finished. Mindfulness has worked well in situations such as queues in shops when I can feel anxiety building for no reason. I've been able to bring myself back to the present by breathing and taking in the environment around me rather than getting caught up inside my own head.

Nicole, hope all is going well with you. Running has been working for me too (although how I feel when people get in my way tells me a lot about my mood on a particular day!) and really feel good when I go over an hour. Yoga sounds worth a shot too.

SulfuricSplash, I get what you're saying - the last thing obsessive thoughts are is cute. I guess for me it explains to people in a simple way in 2 words what is going on. I hope the Luvox is continuing to help with your recovery. I'm going to be coming off Propranalol soon (early morning nightmares are horrendous!) and sticking with just Citalopram (Celexa) so we'll see how that goes.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nightswimming View Post
Sounds like meditation is working well for you and is the logical next step for me. I confess I've been lazy about trying it and using more quick fixes over the last couple of weeks (Facebook, TV etc)
I can add +1 to meditation, works good for me as well. Clears head completely. Though you need some sort of a teacher or a guide or a group and they might have a religious undertones. Just keep an open mind :-)

Another thing that works really well for me are brisk 45min evening walks... with an audiobook. Can be on any subject for as long as you are interested. Clears head as well and is a good workout.

In my case, the power of negative thinking results in psychosomatic symptoms - chest pains/etc and, of course, leads to a great deal of anxiety never mind that brain keeps working through the night while I'm asleep which causes very tired feeling in the morning.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The Power of Now is a good book with tips on living in present moment and reducing compulsive thinking. I also recommend meditation - it really helps.