Notices

Wham! It's back.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wham! It's back.

Hi all, posted her a while back when I was try to stop drinking and suffering from anxiety. Had a few good months where I was going to the gym and feeling really good, however I got back on the booze and even had a weekend meltdown going on a 4 day drug bender which I kicked almost 2 years ago. I had a heart palpitation at the gym which triggered a bit of anxiety and then at the weekend went out on this drug binge and didn't sleep for 4 days. At the end I had a massive meltdown of a panic attack which I couldn't stop to the point of almost walking into a and e because I thought I'd lost all control.

Anyway that took about a week to get over and now the last few days if I do anything to get my heart rate up I panic, always compulsively checking my pulse. I have a bicuspid aortic valve which the doctor always says is fine and doesn't mean I have to change anything or do anything special for it, and it also means I've had all sorts of echo scans and 24hr ECGs that have all come back normal but I still convince myself I'm going to drop dead at any minute.

Anyway I've been getting really bloated which doesn't help because it pushes on my chest and I think I'm having an attack again, so I've decided to kick the alcohol again and see if it helps, plus the extra anxiety from drinking can't be a good thing anyway. I'm going to go to the doctor about it again but I want to make sure I've got a few weeks of no drink under my belt so the doctor can't dismiss it as from the drinking.

Anyway I'm 4 days off the drink, and I guess feeling better but it's the first time I've had more than a day off in over 6 months so in going to feel a bit out of balance I guess.

Not that there's any reason to this post, I just know you are all a nice bunch and its nice to get it off your chest!
Old 08-21-2013, 02:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You sound positive and approaching it with a different mindset. Keep hanging in there and posting.

gigi
Old 08-22-2013, 03:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gigi0310 View Post
You sound positive and approaching it with a different mindset. Keep hanging in there and posting.

gigi
Thanks, yeah I guess this time I know that there is a way out as I've been through it before so it takes the edge off of the despair I guess.

Plus it's my annual appointment with my Cardiologist and my echo scan so I'll get to talk through a few things and bug him which is nice!
Old 09-13-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on deciding to quit the booze. I know what you mean, I used to check my pulse too thinking I could drop dead any minute. Or even when driving, I'll get a random weird thought such as "what if I black out right now?" for no reason at all, then follows panic. It's hell, but I think its related to the booze. Best of luck, hopefully it'll improve with a healthy life style
Old 09-14-2013, 09:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hang in there. Man it's tough sometimes. Keep the faith...
Old 09-18-2013, 12:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TurboRaptor View Post
Hi all, posted her a while back when I was try to stop drinking and suffering from anxiety. Had a few good months where I was going to the gym and feeling really good, however I got back on the booze and even had a weekend meltdown going on a 4 day drug bender which I kicked almost 2 years ago. I had a heart palpitation at the gym which triggered a bit of anxiety and then at the weekend went out on this drug binge and didn't sleep for 4 days. At the end I had a massive meltdown of a panic attack which I couldn't stop to the point of almost walking into a and e because I thought I'd lost all control.

Anyway that took about a week to get over and now the last few days if I do anything to get my heart rate up I panic, always compulsively checking my pulse. I have a bicuspid aortic valve which the doctor always says is fine and doesn't mean I have to change anything or do anything special for it, and it also means I've had all sorts of echo scans and 24hr ECGs that have all come back normal but I still convince myself I'm going to drop dead at any minute.

Anyway I've been getting really bloated which doesn't help because it pushes on my chest and I think I'm having an attack again, so I've decided to kick the alcohol again and see if it helps, plus the extra anxiety from drinking can't be a good thing anyway. I'm going to go to the doctor about it again but I want to make sure I've got a few weeks of no drink under my belt so the doctor can't dismiss it as from the drinking.

Anyway I'm 4 days off the drink, and I guess feeling better but it's the first time I've had more than a day off in over 6 months so in going to feel a bit out of balance I guess.

Not that there's any reason to this post, I just know you are all a nice bunch and its nice to get it off your chest!
Everything you go through, is part of the process of stopping the drink-- one way or the other. So if you really want to stop, let no fear stop you..otherwise anything can stop you.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Man do I know how that feels. I just posted on here because I have been having anxiety disorder too and i overdosed the other night then had a trip to the E.R. Since a few nights ago when I returned, im having little panic attacks when I feel out of control or my heart seems bad, or blood pressure throbbing my stomach. Stay in touch, its probally just anxiety we are experiencing after traumatic situations. Take care all.