Notices

Had to switch meds

Old 04-28-2012, 11:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Had to switch meds

I started taking Paxil on Tuesday and went through 4 days of hell. I was more anxious and had a bad panic attack. I had headache dizziness no appitite and just felt horrible. I talked with my doctor and got switched to Prozac. Today is my first day on that and i feel a bit better. I hope this one works for me. Im a anxious wreck as of late.

Anyone else ever had to do this one? ? ?
Old 04-28-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

?
Old 04-28-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((Bigguy))) - I know that different people react to different medicines in all kinds of ways. Years ago, my bf was on Paxil and it worked GREAT for him. For me? I might as well have taken a sugar pill as it had no effect.

I have mild PTSD, the major problem is I don't sleep and have built up a tolerance to the meds I've been taking. My dr. mentioned one, I looked it up but one of the common side effects is insomnia? I also have a good bit of anxiety, so will talk to her next time I go in and see what she thinks. I'm an RA and have no insurance, so am somewhat limited, but she knows all that.

I hope the Prozac is a better fit for you.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 04-28-2012, 05:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

I have taken both. Paxil worked better for me personally...prozac did to me what paxil did to you. Nobody can tell you what will work best for you, like Impurrfect said above, everybody reacts differently to medications. What works for me might not work for you and vice versa.

Good luck, hope it works out for you!
Old 04-29-2012, 06:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hope your med change works out well for you.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SpeedyJason View Post
I have taken both. Paxil worked better for me personally...prozac did to me what paxil did to you.
This was my own personal experience too with those two drugs. Paxil worked great for me for several years. It was getting through the side effects that first month that was the hardest.

As has been said, not all people react the same to the same med.

It took several months for the psychiatrist and I found the winning combination of drugs that are working for me.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So I guess side effects are common in the start.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

About six months ago my Dr stopped my Celexa, and started me on Clozapine R. I told him my hallucinations and flash backs had returned. He told me a bunch of medical jargon that translated to I was becoming dependant on the familiar, and that I was creating them myself, and to give it a chance. Sure enough about a week later they were gone. This worked very well in prooving to myself that these visions were self created and helped me greatly in controlling them. There is still 1 recurring nightmare that I can do nothing about, but for the rest they are usually controllable. If not for the change in medication I would never have believed that I could be in control.