Notices

Can Sobriety Cure Anxiety?

Old 02-23-2012, 01:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can Sobriety Cure Anxiety?

Hello there, my name is Josh. First and foremost, I have anxiety.
Mainly, the symptoms are racing heart, muscle aches, muscle twitching, jaw aches, stiffness in neck, and further more. It's just mostly the physical side of anxiety I'm having trouble in. I keep hearing that sobriety can cure anxiety by staying sober, positive, and exercising. Can anyone confirm this? And if so can anyone sort of write a treatment/plan? It would greatly appreciated.

Please, my life was stolen from me at only 16 years of age. I was free, happy, and looking forward to what life was going to bring me. But I became a monster. I become the villain that we all fear, but deep inside I never wanted this. I just want what the world has, freedom.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

no Josh, sobriety isn't going to lessen your anxiety.

The root causes of anxiety can be a whole different set of conditioned responces.

That said, your nutritional state might be a basket case, and some of your symptoms could be connected to that. In this sense, your using may have contributed to your current issues. Also, depending on what you were using, you may be experiencing withdrawl symptoms. It would be a good idea to communicate with nutritional and medical professionals on these questions.

All the best~~~
Old 02-23-2012, 03:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Um yeah, thanks. Uh, can you be a bit more specific or speak more english? (No offense)
Old 02-23-2012, 03:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Josh, why don't you try it and see how it goes? Everyone's experiences are different...
Old 02-23-2012, 03:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I disagree with scrambled. Sobriety MAY lessen your anxiety, it has in my experience. Not being sober is almost surely hurting your anxiety. That said, none of us here are Drs., and that is where you need to go, to your Dr.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScorpioForever View Post
I keep hearing that sobriety can cure anxiety by staying sober, positive, and exercising.
As someone that has struggled with anxiety & panic attacks for over 20 years I can tell you that doing the above will most likely greatly improve your anxiety. Will it be a cure... well no but doing the above will definitely help. My worst anxiety was usually the day after a binge (alcohol).

How about just going for it for a month (quitting, eating healthy & exercising) & let us know how you feel? There can sometimes be even more stress early in sobriety due to the many things that we didn't take care of properly while we were drinking (finances, relationships etc etc).

Keep posting & sharing here, we are here to support you.

Cheers ~ NB

P.S. I second seeing your doctor about this ;-)
Old 02-23-2012, 03:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

@NewBeginning10 Appreciate the helpful info. One more question, what about sobriety and exercise? Can that cure it?
Old 02-23-2012, 03:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScorpioForever View Post
@NewBeginning10 Appreciate the helpful info. One more question, what about sobriety and exercise? Can that cure it?
I wouldn't use the word "cure" but I will say that it can help you a lot. My doctor also gave me some great advice & a medication that I could use instead of alcohol. Just knowing I had something I could take when I had an anxiety attack helped a lot at first (even when I didnt take it... just knowing it was there if needed).

There can be many causes for anxiety (chemical, mental, lifestyle/sleep etc. etc.) so getting some help is really important right now. Don't try to do this on your own, get some help with this.

Check with you doctor Scorpio & be honest, they really can help you through this.

Take care & keep posting ~ NB
Old 02-23-2012, 04:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NewBeginning010 View Post
I wouldn't use the word "cure" but I will say that it can help you a lot. My doctor also gave me some great advice & a medication that I could use instead of alcohol. Just knowing I had something I could take when I had an anxiety attack helped a lot at first (even when I didnt take it... just knowing it was there if needed).

There can be many causes for anxiety (chemical, mental, lifestyle/sleep etc. etc.) so getting some help is really important right now. Don't try to do this on your own, get some help with this.

Check with you doctor Scorpio & be honest, they really can help you through this.

Take care & keep posting ~ NB
My friend, I've been to a number of doctors and doctors are idiot. Well most of them.. I've already been thru that medication crap and no results. And yes I tried more than one medicine. That's why I am here. To figure out if exercise and sobriety can get rid of this.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I understand Scorpio, I had to see many doctors & try many things. I will say that quitting alcohol & taking care of myself with proper nutrition, food, rest etc. helped me a lot & I hope it will for you too.

Meditation can also help a lot too & cognitive behavioral therapy. There may be some good books for you too: Amazon.com: Great Books on Anxiety

Commit to quitting for a month & take good care of yourself & see how you feel Scorpio. Take the extra time you have to workout, eat healthy & sleep. You can also read books about anxiety too ;-)

Give it a shot, you have everything to gain & nothing to lose.

We are here for you too
Old 02-23-2012, 05:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

My anxiety has probably increased somewhat recently. Nice paying new job starts early March, gotta move 1500 miles, work in the freezing cold 12/hrs a day 7 days a week for 8 weeks straight. Now I'm really gonna put my signature to the test.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

When I quit drinking and doing drugs most of my anxiety went away by 9 months. My social anxiety is about half what it used to be and my general anxiety is pretty much gone.

I know people that say all of their anxiety went away by 8 months. It depends on the person. There will be people that have substance induced anxiety that get completely better when their nervous system repairs itself, and people that still struggle with it, and everything in between.

I'm seeing a psychiatrist for a bit of depression right now, I was hoping I wouldn't have to but now that I think about it I don't really care that much. I didn't have a problem popping pills before, why should I care now? I don't worry about it, the meds should work the way they're supposed to now that I'm not doing all the other stupid stuff along with it.