Notices

Is this Normal??

Old 07-30-2011, 03:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is this Normal??

I'm now on day 46 of being sober from alcohol. My question is this. Is it normal for anxiety to come and go as it wants?? Someday's I feel completely fine, and others I feel like I can't do a thing. I feel tense, anxious, and scared at the same time. Is this normal in early recovery??
Old 07-30-2011, 03:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello,

In my personal fight with alcohol all you have mentioned is very true. The best thing that i have learned to do is pick up the phone and call someone close to you and explain your thoughts and feeling. Also another great thing to do is find something you enjoy to do, thats simple, and do it. Takes your mind off things and also helps you gain some confidance at that time.. You are doing great, just remember you are not alone and these thoughts and feelings are very common.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It was normal for me, I used booze as my anti-anxiety medication prior to sobriety. Early on then anxiety came and went. As I worked diligently on my recovery as well as my sobriety my decades long anxiety has become very much the exception instead of the rule.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigguyslimm View Post
I'm now on day 46 of being sober from alcohol. My question is this. Is it normal for anxiety to come and go as it wants?? Someday's I feel completely fine, and others I feel like I can't do a thing. I feel tense, anxious, and scared at the same time. Is this normal in early recovery??
Hello. I'm curious, did you have anxiety while you were drinking?
I ask because I did, and like many others I used alcohol to "calm down".
I still get anxious, but not nearly as frequently.
My opinion is that it is normal, but by staying sober the anxiety will lessen.
Good luck to you, and congratulations on your 46 days!
Old 08-01-2011, 06:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am a year and a half sober, and the anxiety still comes and goes. I find that EXERCISE, esp if you can go on a walk with someone, is helpful, as is meditation and listening to meditative music if walking is not an option. Calling others in the program, help lines, on-line here, also help. RxDrugs haven't helped me - they always seem to lead to something else. Ativan was just BAD. Gabapentin was helpful for the anxiety, but rebounds were awful if I missed a dose. Citalopram = neverEndingBrainFog. Being attentive to "HungryAngryLonelyTired" helps. Good diet and sleep habit help.

Be kind to yourself. Anxiety passes and knowing that it's "normal" for us makes it less of a big deal.

hugs
Old 08-01-2011, 05:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

@BennyHill I had light anxiety here and there. It got way worse when I quit. Some days are better than others. I hoping over time it just goes away.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

My experience is that anxiety in early recovery is quite common. Why should we not feel anxious when we have given up a way of life most of us have known for years? Why should we not feel anxiety when a coping mechanism has been taken from us? Why should we not feel anxiety when alcohol was our best friend for so many years and that friend is now gone? Why should we not feel anxiety when we are having to learn how to do everything without a drink?

There is a fine line though of what is normal or expected anxiety in early recovery and anxiety related to other mental health conditions such as depression, PTSD, bipolar disorder, etc.... With these conditions many times therapy or medications may be necessary interventions. For me that is the case. I have been sober 10 years now and early in my recovery my mental health conditions came to light because I no longer had alcohol to hide them. Today I take the medications that are necessary to treat them. Medications are not necessary for everyone with these conditions that I feel is between them and their doctor not a lay person to decide. I do take anti-anxiety medications as needed for my anxiety and contrary to what some people have stated I feel it does not affect my sobriety one iota as long as I am taking them as prescribed. Which is a problem for some people, those people maybe should consider avoiding such medications. I also am treated with therapy as an adjunct to the medication part of my treatment.

If you find that the anxiety is interfering with your life then you might consider talking to your doctor as it may be related to a mental health condition that may need medication to treat or it may be early sobriety anxiety and you and your doctor may feel the need to address that with the aid of medication. But that is a choice you and your doctor need to make.

There are other ways to help ease anxiety such as yoga, meditation, breathing exercises, therapy, etc.... These many times can be quite effective. I would recommend anyone to check into them as a first line defense/treatment of anxiety.

I do hope you find something that helps ease the anxiety for you and wish you the best in your sobriety journey.