Notices

I can't take medication!

Old 06-02-2010, 09:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I can't take medication!

I am seriously beside myself here. I was diagnosed with panic disorder I guess two months ago. They tried to put me on Effexor and I freaked. The side effects made my attacks worse. Not to mention that I was reading people having horrible withdrawl symptoms. So they put me on Xanax, 3 mg a day. Actually 1.5 a day but it wasn't controlling them so the dose was upped which caused many tears from me. I have been able to control the panic attacks but now I am terrified I am going to become addicted and do I want all the withdrawl symptoms of it. I don't want to be sick anymore. I have a 4 year old and a job I need to be at. I can't get a straight answer on how long they want to keep me on the Xanax. I know they said they will reduce it but I don't know when. My psychiatrist promised she will not let me become addicted and I am trying to trust her but I really wish they hadn't put me on anything at all. I am so tempted to start weaning myself but if my attacks come back she will kill me. Honestly how bad are the withdrawals going to be? I do not have an addictive personality and I don't want the damn things so I will not be cheating up on my doses. Today I had a dizzy spell, and memory problems and clumsiness. I never know if that is the anxiety or the drug though. I am so frusterated!
Old 06-02-2010, 09:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Aquiana,

I don't do well on most drugs either. You might ask your doctor about atenolol. It's a beta blocker, not a tranquilizer or sedative. I've heard it's used sometimes for detox. I take it for a very minor heart condition. It's been a wonder drug for me. It prevents what feels like panic attacks for me.

It's not addictive and there is absolutely no high or buzz of any kind. I take 25 mg a day which is a very low dose. It's very inexpensive too. Ask your doctor!

Love,

Lenina
Old 06-03-2010, 06:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am echoing lenina. I have panic attack issues and can't take benzos for addiction reasons. I take a big dose of an SSRI daily but also a small dose of a beta blocker as needed. The beta blocker is something not all Dr's know to prescribe but it has been an incredibly useful drug for me. It helps to manage the physical symptoms of anxiety by decreasing adrenaline production while maintaining a fairly safe side-effect profile.