Notices

prozac or lexapro, switch?

Old 02-12-2010, 04:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

prozac or lexapro, switch?

I've been taking 20mg of prozac for anxiety for 3 weeks now. I am having a terrible time sleeping, maybe 4 hours a night. I'm not seeing any relief from the anxiety and often wake up in the night in a cold sweat.

I noticed the fact sheet for prozac lists anxiety as a side effect, and it doesn't explicitly list general anxiety disorder as something it treats. I'm also concerned that it's making it harder for me to sleep.

I asked my doctor about switching to lexapro, which he did. He has me switching to 10mg of lexapro. I haven't started the switch just yet (waiting for the insurance company to approve lexapro). My doctor said I could just switch between the two since they are both selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, as long as I take a comparable dosage. I'm on the lowest dosage of prozac at 20mg, so he's switching me to 10mg or Lexapro.

So my question, can I just switch from one SSRI to another? I read a few posts where doctors gradually lower the dosage of one and increase the dosage of the other. I'm thinking since I've only been in prozac for three weeks and I'm switching from the lowest dosage of one to the lowest dosage of the other, so I'm thinking it should be OK.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Deepkneebend and welcome.

I´m sorry about your side effects and wish you all the best.

I cannot answer your question since I cannot give medical advice. It´s best to ask your doctor.

Good luck and hang in there.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can only tell you my experience. I was on Lexapro for a short time and loved it. The only reason I quit was libido issues... my marriage has enough problems and I didn't even want AH to know I was taking meds. Anyway, at first I had very restless nights but then I felt more blissfully "normal" than I ever had before. If I ever leave my AH, I'll get back on Lexapro for sure. I have friends that swear by Lexapro and haven't had the libido issues. Good luck.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. It's just so frustrating because the anxiety is overwhelming and the prozac doesn't seem to help much. I've only been on it for 3 weeks, but the anxiety is with me more than 1/2 the day and I still wake up in cold sweats. I'm only getting ~5 hours of sleep a night, so I'm not getting the rest I need.

Lexapro looks like it has fewer side effect (except for the libido) so I'm hoping after the switch, if I still don't see any relief, I can increase the dosage from 10mg to 20mg
Old 04-11-2010, 08:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

prozac has helped me but that's been more for depression, I'm on seroquel to help with anxiety. I think switching would be fine especially since your switching at a low dosage. Though 3 weeks on prozac isn't that long it usually takes longer then that for meds to kick in. Though the not sleeping and stuff can be a side effect of prozac. Talk to your doc ,he/she should know what it best hopefully.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

lexapro and prozac are the same type of antidepressant and I doubt there will be any effect on your weight

the apetite can be improved when less anxious causing you to eat more with weight gain
Old 05-04-2010, 12:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm on Paxil or paroxetine (generic) for my social anxiety. It's an SSRI too. I tried switching to another (can't remember which one) and didn't like it and so I went back. I had read that it's ok to switch between medicine especially after years of taking one. The thing with SSRI's is that it usually takes a few weeks for it to work to it's fullest. The wait can be frustrating. After trying a different SSRI, I wasn't willing to try another one and wait another few weeks to see if it worked any better. I just went back with my Paxil and it's worked pretty well. Each SSRI will work differently with different people. What may work for one person may not necessarily work well for another. Usually it's the side-effects that make someone switch to another SSRI.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I take lexapro for anxiety / ptsd, and it has changed my life. Personally, I noticed an improvement within a week. I'd say if something isn't working for you, it makes sense to try a different med. SSRIs work differently for everyone.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I took Lexapro for a while and couldn't sleep for the first 4 weeks I was on it. It did help with the anxiety, though, and after a while the insomnia went away. But then the weight gain started. In the 8 months I was on it I gained about 40 pounds despite maintaining a strict diet and getting plenty of exercise. Also, I completely lost interest in sex.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Obviously you need to consult your Dr, preferably a psychiatrist and not a GP. Generally, higher doses of SSRI's are indicated for anxiety. Also, 3 weeks may not be enough time to see how it will benefit you since it is a drug that builds up in your system. If I were you I would discuss with your doc whether you should try to increase the dose before switching. I take zoloft, another SSRI, for anxiety. It took me about a month before I felt the benefits and I need a really high dose to help with panic attacks. But it helps alot and is safe with regards to my recovery.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It took me about 4 weeks for my body to get adjusted to Prozac. Actually, the first week I only took it every other day. When it does kick in fully though it is very helpful with anxiety. My doctor gave me a prescription for Xanax to help me sleep during the adjustment period.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

SSRI's?

The choice of SSRI is not a one size fits all. Paxil has been effective for me, but it causes my legs to be restless, and I cannot sleep well with it. I've tried many SSRIs under a doctor's instruction, and Paxil is probably the most effective at masking my depression.

Actually I am diagnosed with General Anxiety Disorder, but the relationship is to depression, and treated with SSRIs. For the GAD, the best medicine I've used is klonopin to mask the effects, but I wouldn't recommend it because of its addictive effect. I am breaking addiction to it now, and I know the withdrawals are hell.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about the side effects. I was on one type of anti-depressant (for anxiety disorder) which made me itch all over. I've been on Efexor (venlafaxine) for about 12 months now and they really are making a difference. I still can't go into a resturant or on public transport, but I can go shopping or for a coffee. Quite strong at 75mg.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by spikeman View Post
Sorry to hear about the side effects. I was on one type of anti-depressant (for anxiety disorder) which made me itch all over. I've been on Efexor (venlafaxine) for about 12 months now and they really are making a difference. I still can't go into a resturant or on public transport, but I can go shopping or for a coffee. Quite strong at 75mg.
My Mom uses Efexor and is having tremendous results with it.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
If you are lost, stand still

I took Lexapro for one year, and it worked perfectly for all the large and small anxiety symptoms I had.

I tried weaning off of it after about 6 months, but every symptom came rushing back.

However, after a year, I quit cold turkey and that hasn't happened. (I quit because of the weight gain).

Research I've seen says that it takes at least 8 months of being on a Lexapro-type drug to reduce the chances of the symptoms coming back.

Now, I just started taking xanax for the occasional anxiety-producing situation. Not sure how that's going to work yet.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
If you are lost, stand still

PS - Have you tried Paxil? My brother switched from Prozac to Paxil because of the side effects, and has been on it ever since.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I take a generic Escitalopram for PTSD. (here it is called Entact or Cipralex, in the US it is called Lexapro, Cipralex, Seroplex, Lexamil).

My doctor has had me on and off it for a number of years. He said I don't need it all the time and that I should try to do without when "times are better".

I have not had any side effects from it. SSRIs can help when they are needed and should be discussed with your Doctor.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DeepKneeBends View Post
I've been taking 20mg of prozac for anxiety for 3 weeks now. I am having a terrible time sleeping, maybe 4 hours a night. I'm not seeing any relief from the anxiety and often wake up in the night in a cold sweat.

I noticed the fact sheet for prozac lists anxiety as a side effect, and it doesn't explicitly list general anxiety disorder as something it treats. I'm also concerned that it's making it harder for me to sleep.

I asked my doctor about switching to lexapro, which he did. He has me switching to 10mg of lexapro. I haven't started the switch just yet (waiting for the insurance company to approve lexapro). My doctor said I could just switch between the two since they are both selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, as long as I take a comparable dosage. I'm on the lowest dosage of prozac at 20mg, so he's switching me to 10mg or Lexapro.

So my question, can I just switch from one SSRI to another? I read a few posts where doctors gradually lower the dosage of one and increase the dosage of the other. I'm thinking since I've only been in prozac for three weeks and I'm switching from the lowest dosage of one to the lowest dosage of the other, so I'm thinking it should be OK.

Did you have any relief from switching to lexapro? My doctor just switched me from 20mg Prozac to 10mg lexapro for the same insomnia reason!
Old 09-01-2018, 09:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

ashwanghda helped calm me ..multi vit . b6 and b12, vit c , vit e and zinc all helped me and I mix and match on different days .. and have a bunch of others natural herbs cos i dont want to near big pharma ... and some nights melatonin for sleep .. and of course I try eat right.