Notices

agoraphobia

Old 04-20-2009, 11:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

agoraphobia

I have read enough here to know that i must have this disorder... it is very difficult to even go outside to have a cig, because i know my neigbor might come out too. I have to take my kids to awanas on wednesdays, and i hate driving so much, it makes me extremely paranoid, and then i have to be in the big crowd of parents who are also picking up their kids.
Seriously it is having a huge impact on my life, and i have an app. to see my dr. next month, what meds should i expect her to maybe prescribe? i have been on klonopin, and all that does is make me so sleepy i want to pass out, so any answers or familiarities?? i feel so lonely in this, like im the only one who has it, so many people in my life are so social, and i am just an outcast
Old 04-21-2009, 07:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome,
Dont feel alone, many suffer from this, I am glad you are seeing a doctor for help.
I suffer from panic disorder, I was able to still go outside, work, but sometimes it took everything I had.
There are many different medications that can help with these.
I was on a ssri, paxil and buspar for years, it helped so much, I felt like the old me, it took a couple of weeks to see improvement, I also had talk therphy which was very helpful.
Hang on, hopefully your doctor will find a medication that is helpful for you.

hugs,
sisofD
Old 04-21-2009, 11:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're not alone. There was a time a long time ago when I had a really hard time leaving the house. Dusk was especially hard for me for some reason. I still have really bad social anxiety. It might be uncomfortable, but it's good that the kids force you to get out. It was good for me when my kids were young. I have a harder time now with social anxiety because no one forces me to go out. I spend most of my time alone at home.

It's all a part of anxiety. The doctor should be able to help you. I find it helps if I go to the same place over and over again until it feels really familiar to me. It makes it more comfortable. You could start with one place and try to go there a lot. Maybe go get a cup of coffee every morning. Make it coffee to go so it's quick in and out. Even going to buy a newspaper every day would help. Something that's fast so you don't have to face too much. Keep going to the same place until you are comfortable.

I know it can be very hard. We all understand.