Notices

so scared

Old 04-11-2009, 04:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

so scared

Hello everybody. I am new to this site and a bit nervous. I am trying not to drink but i am so scared that i have liver disease that i cant sleep at night for worrying about it and then i want a drink to help me sleep and then of course i worry more. I was told by doc in january that my liver enzymes or whatever they are called were a little raised but she thought it was coz id been on strong antibiotics for a kidney infection. I am scared to google the symptoms and scared to go back to doctor and scared not to drink and scared to drink
Old 04-11-2009, 05:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To infinity.....AND BEYOND!

I see you are from Ireland! Welcome to the Forum! Obviously, and I think you know it, your best option is to stop drinking. Do some deep breathing and tackle this thing head on by doing some good old google searches for your symptoms. Then, I would schedule an appointment with your doctor and come clean about why you think your liver enzymes are slightly elevated. Liver enzymes are serious business so you need to get that taken care of as soon as possible. And don't panic and don't worry about it too much cause there's nothing much you can do over the weekend except head to an Emergency Room and explain your situation there. I am a big advocate for researching one's symptoms and learning all they can about what is going on with them. You may find something new that opens your eyes. People fear what they don't understand so the more you understand about what is going on the less you will have anxiety and fear. We will be here for you. Please let me know how this goes and thanks for posting. That's the 1st step down!
Old 04-11-2009, 12:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Keenan,

Continuing to drink is only going to further excellerate your liver enzyme count. Drinking never makes us healthier.

4 years ago my Dr. told me that my liver enzymes were "slightly elevated" I did stop drinking a month later and have been sober since. The thing with liver enzymes is that they will decrease and go back to a normal count within 3 to 6 months of stopping drinking. If your Dr. said "slightly increased" I wouldn't be worrying about liver disease at this stage. if you continue to drink your enzymes will increase more, your liver will enlarge and become fatty and you will have liver disease.

My suggestion is not to google, get to your Dr. tell he or she how much you have been drinking and ask for some help in stopping for good. It sounds to me that you may have been given an early warning and you will be able to reverse this.

There are a couple of people here that I have noticed are from Ireland. You may want to look them up on the members list which is at the top of the page and PM them. They are Nelco and Irishmalcom. You might just be from the same area or close.

Good luck Keenan and speak to your Dr. asap. You won't be the first or last person that tells your Dr. that you need help to stop tilting the bottle.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I’d go to an AA meeting first (no appointment necessary). I’d share exactly what you wrote here. Don’t worry; you fit right in! Then I’d go to the doctor. I’d like to think I’d stay off Google because I know researching symptoms would make me even more afraid and anxious. Let a GOOD doctor do his job.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. it means a lot for me to be able to voice my fears without being judged. i havnt googled but am tempted. im just hoping that if i stop drinking that my liver will eventually heal itself. are there any herbal things that are good to take for your liver or foods?
Old 04-11-2009, 02:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Kennan,
Conas ata tu? I wouldn't bother with the googling, you'll find something written by god knows who and scare the pants off yourself. Go to the Doctor. Do you think you have a problem with drink, or other substances? If you think you may have a drinking problem go along to an AA meeting (Drinking to treat something you think may be caused by drink is a bit of a signal, as is drinking to sleep), you might or you might not. If what your Doctor said is true, and you have been 100% honest with the doctor, then it may well be a reaction to antibiotics. Forget about Google will be a start. Best of look a chara. I can pm you seen as I'm in Ireland too.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Malcolm and I think I will stay off the googling, Im bad enough without that i think !!
Old 04-11-2009, 03:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kennan,

Please see your doctor. Alcohol detox can also be dangerous and detoxing with medical care is also important. When my son was having liver problems from alcohol I googled everything on it. I found out that the liver has a great chance of healing with abstinence from alcohol. Your doctor will be able to assist you with treatment if needed.

Here is an interesting article I found on the benefits of coffee with liver disease.

Coffee’s Liver Benefits
Old 04-12-2009, 03:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Day 3 now and determined to be AF. Your note gives hope that I have a chance at healing some of the damage I've done if I stay strong. ZehnJahre.