Notices

"surrender"

Old 05-21-2003, 08:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Big kitty nose hugs

"surrender"

The parents of my grandchildren "surrendered" their children to the DHS yeaterday..My attorney couldnt even get into the court room..when this surrender happens, the grandparents lose all rights, period. If the DHS takes the kids, then i could have had a chance.
This feels like a nightmare...I WANT TO SCREAM. how can this be so? I keep getting this image of putting my memories of the little girl and little boy i have raised into a box and burying them..they are gone to me..never to get them back. Ithink the pain of this will surely kill me. I promised my grand daughter that i would bring her a fluffy warm barbie beach towel at our next visit..i didnt know there wouldnt be another visit...I have never broken a promise to her..the beach towel is in my car..i need to get it to her..do not want to break a promise.

SkyIsFalling
Old 05-21-2003, 08:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

SkyIsFalling,

I am so sorry. I know how much I love my grandchildren and I just can't imagine you having to go through this.

Now, they are not dead. They are just leaving for a little while. When they are 18 you can find them and they will need you for the rest of your life. You are going to be the family that they will always think of and wait to see.

I have a little granddaughter. She is 5 years old. When she was a baby I had to get her and her mother away from my son because of his abusive behavior. I've lost contact with her and don't know how to find her. I just know I will see her again.

Your pain and grief will be overwhelming right now, but it won't kill you even though it feels like it will. You can get through this. They are going to need you later. Get through it for them. I think one day you will be glad you made it when you are able to hold them again.

I just can't believe that the grandparent's rights are taken away. I thought they tried to place the kids with family when something like this happened.

I'm really sorry

Hugs,
MG

Old 05-21-2003, 09:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I read your post I just sat here and cried my eyes out. This is something I have never been through and hope I never do. I just want you to know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope the best for you and I am truly sorry that you are going through this.

Like you said..."love in spirit"

2many2count
Old 05-21-2003, 08:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Big kitty nose hugs

2many2count
Thank you so much for your kind words and prayers, they are very apprerciated

Morning Glory
I understand that i may see them again someday..but the little kids i know and love will be gone..i will not know them at 18..i will not be able to rock them or hold them again..i feel i really need to grieve for that loss. My first husband killed the love i had for him by abusing me and my children. I never thought i would feel the same way about my daughter..but i do now..i feel i no longer love her..she has hurt me and HER children too badly, too many times. She has done this for vengence..because i told the DHS about her drugs and alcohol. Do you guys feel thats possible? that you can get to the point of no love for your kid? Am i a horrible mother to feel this way? GOd help me i do. I never thought i could lose my love for one of my kids. My attorney is trying to get the guardian ad litem to get the beach towels to the kids. All i can think of is that promise..i dont want to be forced to break it.
I am so sorry about your grand daughter, for your pain and worry.

Love in spirit to both of you
SkyIsFalling
Old 05-21-2003, 11:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

SkyIsFalling,

I do believe you need to grieve your loss. I hope I didn't make it sound wrong. What you are going through is the same as a death. I really understand that. Isn't there a way you could fight for custody? I think the courts always would rather have children stay with family. I'm not sure if you are in a position to raise them though. I know I've heard of grandparents getting visitation rights.

You are not a terrible mother. We all have our breaking point. You did the right thing to protect your grand children. I'm sorry the kids have to go through this and I'm sorry you have to suffer so much.

I do know what you mean about losing them as little ones. I think of that with my grand daughter all the time. I've wanted to hold her so many times and sometimes it just aches inside. Now I can't find her.

It won't always feel this bad.

Hugs,
MG

Old 05-22-2003, 12:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grace Under Fire

Sky,

I have been sitting here at a loss for
words. I am horrified that this has
happened to you and your grandchildren. I
don't understand why your attorney could not
get into the courtroom? Why were you not
heard? This just doesn't sound legal to me. Is there anything you can do to reverse this
decision?

I don't think you are a horrible mother for
feeling this way right now. I'm sure I would
be feeling the same way. My two adult sons are addicts, one with 3 children. So I
know exactly why you took measures for their
safety. I am just so sorry it turned out this
way.

I just wanted you to know I'm thinking of
you and sending support and prayers your
way.

Hugs,
Old 05-22-2003, 07:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Big kitty nose hugs

Morning Glory..god no, you didnt sound wrong..im just working thru..i am so grateful for you to talk to. I think about if i never see them again or if i cant find them or they cant find me and its more than i can bear..i am so sorry for the empty, echoing pain you must feel.

Josie,
Thank you for your kinds words, thoughts and prayers. Im going to try to explain some of this as short as i can..there is so much.

10/11/96 My daughter at 15 gave birth to her daughter, brittany. I helped her during the birth and so did the father. I let him move in with us in hopes that he would be able to bond with his child and help take care of her. (bad decision) He twisted cassies nipple in an argument, and on several occasions smacked handprints on my sons back. I told him this would stop or i would call the police and someone would go to jail. He always lied about what he did.
7/19/97 Charles went to jail for trying to rape my other, 13 year old daughter-he was not welcome near my home after that. My home became a battle front..cassie wanted to believe charles and blamed her sister..she physically jumped on her and was sent to juvenile jail. Jenna was being threatened and followed at the football games by charles' brother and friends. Cassie told her she wished she was dead and jenna ate a whole bottle of tylenol. she had to get her stomach pumped-he got away with what he tried to do to her-the doctor said she was still a virgin and there were no witnesses.
Summer 1998 I asked DHS for help because cassie was not even feeding her daughter.
8/3/98 Domestic violence charges were reduced to disorderly conduct..he threw a pair of sunglasses in an argument..they almost hit his daughter in the face. The paternal grandparents taught their grand daughter, brittany to smash their beer cans.
Charles became engaged to a 15 year old girl.
10/5/98 Cassie gave birth to a second child, same father, cory. I was the only one there with my daughter for his birth. I cried there and all the way home..i felt so sorry for his little life..i had left the washing of his baby clothes, etc. alone..hoping cassie would do it, she didnt. So i went home and got everyhting ready for him to come home.
4/1/99 Upon recommendation of DHS cassie moved out at 18 and left her children with me. She went to a homeless shelter and i took her back and forth to work. She got a government subsidized apartment (3 bedroom) in preparation to get her kids. She quit her job and partied and partied until the untilites were shut off and she was evicted.
11/99 Supervised visits began with charles, the father at DHS. The case worker was very young and also worked at a local bar every friday and saturday night.
1/00 Charles began unsupervised visits with his kids. There were concerns of mine and the day care workers about charles..these issues were never investigated.
9/14/00 The court expressed "a problem" with the young girls charles likes to date..The dhs worker explained that he was a little on the immature side.
12/18/00 Charles was given custody of his children and i was granted standard visitation. I was keeping the kids about 4 days a week-he didnt want them.
12/28/00 Charles hit brittany in the mouth and busted it-i told DHS. Cassie had large bite marks on her breasts and arms in the form of bruises..she said her and charles like sex this way. His father and uncle are in prison for sex offenses.
2/3/01 Charles' brother was arrested for sellilng drugs from their mothers home. My grandchildren were spending a great deal of time at this home..i told dhs.
2/6/01 I met with the dhs worker and supervisor..they said all the reports they were getting about charles were excellent..that they had no problem with his parenting skills..they didnt understand why i was seeing something different.
2/7/01 During her bath, i seen a mark on brittanys bottom..i asked her what happened. She said her dad hit her with a broom. I took her to the sheriff and she told her what happened. Early the next morning, the DHS worker called and told me to get the kids to day care immediately. I took them i assumed that they wanted to talk to brittany. They never went to day care to talk to brittany at all. When her dad got off work he picked her up and took her to dhs to talk to the case worker and her supervisor. They said brittany said i said it and she was hysterical. I would be too after a ride to dhs with the one who was abusing me. The dhs accused me of telling brittany to lie about her father..WHICH I DID NOT DO. They took my visitation away that weekend..they said i was putting the kids in the middle. During all of this time, the kids began to scream, cry, run and hide when their dad came for them..cory kept asking me why grandma why. It was a nightmare.
4/01 Charles lost his apartment and moved into his grandmothers 2 bedroom apartment with his kids..his brother was arrested again for domestic violence and moved in this apartment also. Brittany told me many things, her dad threw what i bought her out the car window, in the trash, etc. He threw her down the steps, they all called her little cassie. Allkinds of emotional and physical abuse.
10/01 Charles brought the kids and just let them in and left. Brittany was crying and had a large welted area on her arm pit. She said her dad ripped her shirt off. I felt intimidated (god help me) so instead of taking her to the sheriff i called the cares line. Nothing was done about it.
1/02 A neighbor called dhs about a beating charles gave brittany. He called me and asked me to keep the kids-i did. The dhs took them and placed them in foster care. There were accusations against me that i told my grand daughter to lie about her father. I tried 2 different attorneys and they both said i couldnt fight the accusations-no proof either was. Charles' attorney has been free..i have paid thousands of dollars for mine.
In their complaint to remove the kids, dhs stated brittany alleged her dad punched her in the stomach and alot of other things. The foster mom took the kids for a physical, and brittany had a broken arm consistent in healing with the time of her shirt being ripped off-she walked around with a broken arm for months. An ex-ray showed a possible tumor in her stomach..they sent her for a cat scan and found it to be old hemmorahging. The charges pending against charles for beating his daugher were dropped by dhs, because his attorney said if they pressed them his client would not agree to leave the kids in foster care. Could i lie about these injuries to brittany? My attorney told me that this particuliar supervisor has a departmental reputation for if you cross her path youre done for. My visitation rights were terminated when they removed the kids.
2/14/02 My attorney filed a motion to intervene on my behalf. Juvenile proceedings are closed and i had no legal rights.
Charles began to work on cassie, telling her he should have never messed up such a good thing etc., He bought her new clothes and shoes with his tax money, and she agreed to side with him against my motion to intervene. His attorney told him that if both parents were against my motion to intervene, that the court would not grant it.
March 19, 2002 My motion to intervene was denied. The following day, charles kicked cassie out and threw the things he had bought her in the trash dumpster. She came back to live with me and was doing very well..i helped her get her liscense and let her use my car for her case plan..all the classes she needed to take..then she got back into the drugs as soon as the drug and alcohol classes ended.
I have fought for the kids to be safe their whole lives. Cassie is staying with charles again and they both agreed to surrender their rights..they wanted to make sure that i would not see their kids either. My attorney was not allowed in the courtroom because the motion to intervene was never granted..juvenile proceedings are closed. I have no legal rights. My attorney said sadly its the same as if you give a car away-they are both adults and by law they can give their kids away to anyone they want.

Well not at all short-sorry
thank the two of you so much for your support- i feel as though i have been beaten, raped, stabbed and left for dead. I hate it because i have let my grandchildren down..i have had no choice in the matter..somone above me is playing god.

Love in spirit
SkyIsFalling
Old 05-22-2003, 09:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

If it wasn't for you the kids would still be in an abusive situation. You've saved them from all the physical and emotional abuse and given them the chance to heal and live in a safe environment. You did for them what they couldn't do for themselves.

Know that what you did was right for them.

Hugs,
MG

Old 05-22-2003, 09:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Big kitty nose hugs

Morning Glory
thank you for being you, and being here..did you know i have friends?!!!
I have been searching supreme court rulings on grandparents rights, looking for loopholes all day today. Yesterday i felt incapacitated..today i feel motivated.

Love in spirit
SkyIsFalling

Oh yea..just realized im starving..foregot to eat yesterday!!! LOL
Old 05-22-2003, 10:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

These specialize in grandparent's rights

OHIO

Loretta Marie Helfrich
Attorney and Mediator
119 East Court Street
Cincinnati, OH 45202
(513)632-5317 Email: [email protected]
Web Site: www.lmhlaw.net

Keith E. Golden
Golden & Meizlish Co., LPA
923 East Broad Street
Columbus, OH 43205
(614)258-1983 Email: [email protected]
Web Site: www.divorceheadquarters.com/golden.html

Carl C. Monastra
Law Offices of Carl C. Monastra
75 Public Square
Suite 1000
Cleveland, OH 44113
(216)574-9400 Email: [email protected]

Robert E. Rosenberg
Attorney at Law, L.L.C.
107 North Prospect St.
Ravenna, OH 44266
888-264-8592 Email: [email protected]
Web Site: http://www.portagecountylaw.com/

Old 05-22-2003, 11:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Grace Under Fire

Sky,

You and your grandchildren have been through
a nightmare. You did exactly what you had
to do.
I am so glad you are feeling better today,
remember to take care of yourself. There
is always hope, and miracles happen every
day.
I will pray for you and your grandchildren
to heal from these wounds.
M.G., you are a angel-I hope you can use
some of this info Sky.

Love and hugs,
Old 05-22-2003, 06:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Big kitty nose hugs

Morning Glory
Thank you for the addresses..sent a letter to every one of them (email) one of them, the second one..keg...didnt go through but the rest did.:council:
I managed democratic headquarters in 1992..and my boss was Leigh Herington..he is now an ohio senator..he had agreed to be a character witness for me in this..but it never got that far. Iwrote him a letter also.
I am on a rampage (not a bad one) hopefully just a productive one. Question: do you ladies think it would be totally irrational for me to sell everything i own to help get the money to fight this..after all this is 2 little peoples' lives here. Everthing i own would be worth being able to love them to me-i would give it up in a heartbeat. Something i been thinking about.

Josie thank you so much for your prayers for my grandchildren..i worry so much about their emotional well being..they have already been thru more than some adults go thru in a lifetime. I know they have been going for counseling..but im not sure how well that can work for kids their age?

Love in spirit to both of you

Sky
Old 05-23-2003, 09:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

I think I would check out my chances before I sold everything. If I thought I had a chance I would do anything I could. Keep a journal of everything you are doing so the kids can read it later. They don't know what you are doing and it will mean a lot to them later on in life.

Hugs,
MG

Old 05-23-2003, 07:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Big kitty nose hugs

Morning Glory
Thank you for the journal suggestion, its a good one. Ive been doing so much writing lately it would take years for someone to get through it all!!! The fairy diddles are going to take me court for the right to the trees. Im not going to make any real sudden moves on anything..need to keep my wits about me.

I talked to the guardian ad litem today..he feels i have a very good chance of seeing the kids through the foster mom.
I am so scared to hope with everything we have been through. Ive given the foster mom flowers, money for the kids, and a real nice tea pot for christmas. I appreciate what she is doing for my grandchildren immensley. He did say that since the supervisor has a vendetta against me that the foster mom probably better not let me see the kids until the adoption is final He said it could take 6 months. He said it would be ok to send her a letter now..so i will work on that this weekend. I told him i am afraid of the supervisor finding out that i have contacted the foster mom and take the kids out of her home. He said he would not let that happen. Isnt it sad that the best interests of the children come down to a vendetta?

He mentioned this vendetta several times during the conversation..and i have it on tape

I packed all of my daughters things and put them in the basement. Im kind of surrendering my parental rights to her.

Love in spirit
Sky
Old 05-23-2003, 11:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

That sounds hopeful

I think it's going to be ok.

It'll be a rough 6 months though.

Hugs,
MG

Old 05-25-2003, 09:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Big kitty nose hugs

This is the letter I am going to send to the foster mother..i sure hope i have the right person and address!

Dear Cheryle,

I understand that Cassie and Charles surrendered their parental rights on 5/20/03 in juvenile court. Although this pains me greatly, I know it is the best thing that could have happened for my grandchildren.
I know that it is alot of work to raise children, and I want you to know that I will always be here to help in anyway you may need. I am ready and willing to buy gifts on holidays for the kids and to support you in whatever way I can.
I thank God for you being here for Brittany and Cory, I appreciate what you are doing for them so much. I know that you listen to them, I can tell, and for that I am very grateful. I just want the best for them, and believe that you are it.
I promised Brittany that I would buy her a Barbie beach towel and bring it to her on my next visit. I did not know that I would not see her again. I have never broken a promise to her and will send it through the guardian ad litem or DHS. I also bought a beach towel for Cory. I would appreciate the favor of you just letting me know that she got the towel, and that you are the right Cheryle?
I talked with the guardian ad litem and he felt it would be ok to write this letter to you. I told him that I fear the children being removed from your home if it becomes known that I have contacted you. He assured me that he would not let that happen, but that the less everyone knows at this time the bettter. I agree with him.
I am sending a gift for you guys, and I would like you to be able to go to dinner, a movie, or just have a nice time on me. I know that you all deserve it.
Old 05-25-2003, 10:11 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Good letter.

I think I would take this part out.
I told him that I fear the children being removed from your home if it becomes known that I have contacted you. He assured me that he would not let that happen, but that the less everyone knows at this time the bettter. I agree with him.

Old 06-04-2003, 07:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Big kitty nose hugs

OMG!!
I just realilzed that this was here!!! I wondered why the letter didnt post, I thought I done something the wrong way again..well anyways that was good advice Morning Glory. I did end up taking that part out..im glad I did. I took the beach towels, money order and lettter to DHS and dropped them off this past monday for the DHS worker to give to them. Guess time will tell.

Love in spirit
Sky
Old 06-04-2003, 08:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

You are so funny Sky. I just read your other post somewhere where you and 2stop lost something. It put a smile on my face.

Old 06-05-2003, 08:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Big kitty nose hugs

Morning Glory
Was the post you saw on the poems, inspirations board? Hope you found the link...I did finally get it..I think its on the third post down???? Well any ways its an interview with god and beautiful scenery...Ive been going there alot..I love it!!!
Can we (all of us) have a picnic when I learn how to navigate better around here? Huh, huh,,,please, please!!!! Lol
If we need any links, someone else will have to bring those!

Love in spirit
Sky