Notices

Paxil - sexual dysfunction and 1 more question

Old 03-22-2007, 06:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Paxil - sexual dysfunction and 1 more question

While on Paxil has anyone experienced any changes in this area? While not the best source for information, I saw on Wikipedia something about some people having sexual dysfunction for weeks, to months to 'a lifetime'...does anyone know if this is true?

I am currently (First pill swallowed today) on 10mg of Paxil for anxiety attacks. I was put on Paxil 3 years (Or 4, having a hard time remembering) ago. At that time I had suffered with panic attacks for 1 year before a doctor realized that my ER visits were turning up nothing. The doctor at the time put me on 10mg for 4 months. At the end of the 4 months I went off cold turkey. I had 1 panic attack in the first month off. Was put back on at 20mg for a month, and then 10mg for a month and then cold turkey again. I had no side-effects while on Paxil, and the only withdrawl symptom I had was the 'electric shock' feeling...which, when I learned was a withdrawl symptom, was easy to deal with.

My second question then is, can I expect the same results? Or does age and time play into everything? I don't want to be on Paxil for a number of reasons, and would love to be in group therapy to deal with some of my anxiety issues, but group therapy is almost non-existant in Japan. Anyone else ever been off, been 'cured' then had a relapse?
Old 03-22-2007, 10:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

The anti-depressants can cause sexual dysfunction. It doesn't always though. You won't know until you take it.

There are many things you can do to learn new coping methods to deal with your anxiety attacks. There are many books available and programs on audio tape. There are many methods you can practice that will help.

I would suggest getting From Panic to Power by Lucinda Basset
She also has audio tapes that are very good.