Notices

Does anyone here do...

Old 03-16-2007, 12:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does anyone here do...

...any kind of meditation? IE, relaxation techniques, breathing exercises, etc, either on their own or as a part of religious practice? In addition to the yoga, I've begun doing a few minutes of Zen meditation practice, which is basically just sitting still and breathing regularly (you'd be surprised how irregularly you breathe if you took some time to pay attention to it). Basically, focusing on the breathing calms the mind. I'm finding it quite helpful. Slept like a baby last night. It was the first time in years that I didn't lie awake for and hour or more before drifting off. Actually, I don't remember lying awake at all. I don't remember anything after hitting the light and putting my head on the pillow.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't, but I keep meaning to find out more about it! Just don't have a whole lot of spare time right now. I have terrible insomnia and struggles with anxiety - I know meditation, etc, can be helpful for those problems. I do try to be more aware of my breathing, especially when feeling anxious.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

>I have terrible insomnia

I used to as well.

Try just a few minutes before bedtime. You'd be amazed. I did do yoga first, but I only spent about 5 to 10 minutes last night doing it. And it's really easy and simple. There are some very good explanations on the web. I'm actually looking forward to doing more of it.

I went to bed at 10:30 last night for the first time in years (without the aid of Ambien, that is) and I've still got caffeine and nicotine running through my veins. I can't wait to see how much it improves when I'm able to cut that out.

But I think the two are connected. After I'd done the yoga and meditated, I felt no craving for tobacco, so I was able to just go to bed.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To Life!

I use progressive muscle relaxation; imagery and meditation regulary.
I also teach it to my students. It helps them, particularly in the afternoon when they are hyper and need to come down to be able to focus and learn again.
Gloria Steinum has a book, Revolution From Within. There is a whole section in there about these activities and how they can help. That's what I use and what I teach. I highly recommend it.
And no, it's not a feminist diatribe.
Check it out; it's awesome!

Shalom!
Old 03-17-2007, 07:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I use something called "breathing awareness" which is similar to what you describe except you make no attempt to control your breathing - you just observe.

There's a psychological conundrum wherein you can not simultaneously observe and experience.

In "breathing awareness", you pay attention to absolutely everything about how you're breathing (again, with emphasis on NOT changing the rate/depth or anything else about HOW you're breathing). Feel the air go through your nose, feel how the chest moves, the clothes move against the body etc.

When I'm feeling anxious or worse yet starting to have a panic attack, this can help a lot. It won't necessarily completely stop a panic attack, but it can slow it down and keep it manageable.

There is also something called "walking awareness" where you focus on your feet (you don't necessarily have to be walking, you can sit and just wiggle your toes rhythmically) and focus on absolutely everything you feel in your feet.

Sometimes, when I'm really having difficulty with intrusive thoughts, I use both, so if my mind wanders from focussing on my breathing, I'll switch to my feet, then back to breathing etc.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kit

Practicing yoga is like a miracle for me. I become focused and totally able to get a great night's sleep. My panic attacks virtually stop when I practice twice a week (class) and, of course, don't drink.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, I use meditation when I can but I find I can't do it when wound up, which shows how far a way from the point I am lol.
I have several audio books I like, I would recommend downloading some Jack Kornfield audio.
Also Eckhart Tolle is good. He is basically just repeating buddhism but his voice puts me to sleep which is nice!
Old 03-17-2007, 06:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I visited a local monastery, a "Zen center" they call it, this morning, and I can't recommend this sort of thing highly enough for people with any level of anxiety.

Whether you have a place to visit and get some personal instruction, or whether you do it by yourself at home (try this instructional link), I guarantee (and I don't use that word often) that you will benefit.

I haven't taken any Celexa since last Sunday, and I quit chewing tobacco yesterday. I asked my wife how she would describe my demeanor this afternoon and she said "calm." I told her I'd quit chewing and her eyes boggled.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
IO Storm

I have tried something before that helped; It was "cool nose breathing",

technique or something like that.

Does anyone remember? Or know where to find it? It really worked, and

was so simple, even a racing mind could do it.

IO
Old 03-18-2007, 06:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Storm - I did Yoga and alternate nostril breathing really good - calming - helps insomnia - relaxes refreshes the body - purifies the bloodstream and aerates the lungs - soothes headaches - improves digestion and appetite - helps to free the mind of anxiety and depression - Gotta go that sound so good - Enjoy storm
Old 03-19-2007, 01:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Thankya Brownie deah, but does anyone have the technique?

I'm not good at searching but I'll keep trying.

IO
Old 03-19-2007, 09:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Update: seven days with no Celexa, nearly three days with no tobacco. Yesterday, family described my demeanor as "calm." You can fake that; at least, I can't.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

>You can fake that; at least, I can't.

Sorry: of course, that should read "You can't fake that..."