Notices

Anxiety?

Old 02-20-2007, 06:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety?

Recently in the past few years I think I might have started showing some kind of anxiety. Sometimes when surrounded by a lot of people I don't know that well or when I am in an uncomfortable situation, my face turns beat red, I start to sweat a little, and my eyes start to water a little. Mentally, I'm not really that worried or anything, its just like a usual problem for me. No real thoughts trigger it for me, I just turn red and my eyes start to water. When this happens, THEN I start to think to myself, "Oh God, here I go again turning all red and stuff. Everyone is looking at me."

It has really become a problem now because I've been battling it for almost two years with a girl. I met her online and felt attached to her in only a few days. We really connected and seem to think from the same brain or something. But when I finally met her in person, I felt this anxiety or whatever and just wasnt myself. Usually I'm extremely loud and sometimes too loud and energetic, but around most people I'm quiet and reserved and sometimes have these attacks. Now we've been talking to each other and both have said we love each other, but its really weird because its like I dont even know her due to this anxiety.

My family also has a history of anxiety I think. If anyone could help me in telling me what I might have or what I could do to control it I would be so grateful. I really hate to ask my parents about it just because I'm never like this around them.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Hi, Tucker,
And welcome to SR!

If you think you have an anxiety disorder, you really need to speak to your doctor. No one online here is a physician, and even if we were, we couldn't diagnose you without a full physical examination. For example, you may have high blood pressure and not anxiety. You really need a doctor to determine what's wrong and how to deal most effectively with it.

I wish you well.
Please let us know how you're doing.

Shalom!
Old 02-26-2007, 07:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well I'm mostly wondering if this would be some sort of anxiety. Maybe some form of social anxiety. I just want to know if anyone else knows about this kind of situation so I can look into it before I possibly go to a doctor.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Tucker, and welcome. There are several different forms of anxiety, with social anxiety being only one of them. I've posted a link here for you with some info about social anxiety. There are lots of members here (me included ) who struggle with anxiety, so you are definitely not alone. I would urge you to see a doctor about your problem so that you can get properly diagnosed and get the help (medication and/or counselling) that you may need.

Good luck, and let us know how you are doing.

Here's the link:

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/healthinform...phobiamenu.cfm
Old 02-27-2007, 04:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sure, it could be some kind of social anxiety, but you really need to go to a doctor. Only he/she can give you a definitive answer.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

haha well I read some of those articles on social anxiety and im prettttty sure that's what my problem. i know some of you have been through similar situations, so i would like to ask what is the best way to tell my parents that i have a disorder. im not extremely close to my parents, so it kind of makes it harder. any suggestions?
Old 02-27-2007, 05:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
To Life!

Well, if you are a minor, you could print out the information you read that makes you believe that you have social anxiety, and ask them to take you to the doctor.
If you are above the age, then go to the doc's office and talk to him/her. Then, level with the parents about what the doc has to say.
Either way, you could start with something like, "I've been having difficulty with....and I want to deal with it effectively." From there, go on with the evidence of your concerns and/or the doc's opinion/diagnoses and suggestions.

I wish you well.

Shalom!