Notices

George Carlin Letter

Old 06-23-2006, 08:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

George Carlin Letter

They used this at the V A Hospital and I thought you might be able to identify and enjoy. He wrote this after his wife died.

WHO WIIL CARE---GEORGE CARLIN

Isn't it amazing that George Carlin-gross and mouthy comedian of the 70's and 80's- could write something so very eloquent and so very appropriate.

The paradox of our time in historyis that we have taller buildings but shorter tempers,wider freeways, but narrower viewpoints. We spend more,but have less,we buy more, but enjoy less. We have bigger houses and smaller families, more conveniences, but less time. We have more degrees but less judgement,more experts,yet more problems,more medicine,but less wellness.

We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little,drive to fast,get too angry,stay up too late,get up tired,read too seldom. We have multiplied our possessions,but reduced our values. We talk too much, love to seldom,and hate too often.

We've learned how to make a living,but not a life. We've added years to our life not life to our years. We've been all the way to the moon and back,but have trouble crossing the street to meet a new neighbor. We conquered outer space but not inner space. We've done larger things, but not better things.

We've cleaned up the air,but polluted the soul. We've conquered the atom, but not our prejudice. We write more,but learn less. We plan more, but accomplish less. We've learned to rush,but not to wait. We build more computers to hold more information,to produce more copies than ever,but we communicate less and less.

These are times of fast food and slow digestion,big men and small character,steep profits and shallow relationships. These are days of two incomes but more divorce,fancier houses,but broken homes. These are days of quick trips,disposable diapers,throwaway morality,one night stands,overweight bodies,and pills that do everything from cheer,to quiet,to kill. It is a time when there is much in the showroom window and nothing in the stockroom. A time when technolgy can bring this letter to you,and a time when you can choose either to share this insight, or to just delete...
Remember; spend some time with your loved ones, because they are not going to be around forever.

Remember, say a kind word to someone who looks up to you in awe, because that little person soon will grow up and leave your side.

Remember, to give a warm hug to the one next to you, because that is the only treasure you can give with your heart and it doesn't cost a cent.

Remember to hold hands and cherish the moment for someday that person will not be there again.

Remember, to say, " I love you" to your partner and your loved ones, but most of all mean it. A kiss and an embrace will mend hurt when it comes from deep inside of you.

Give time to love, give time to speak! And give time to share the precious thoughts in your mind.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. AND ALWAYS REMEMBER: IF YOU DON'T SHARE THIS WHO WILL CARE.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

WOW Don That is Absolutely AWESOME thanks so very much for sharing that. I am going to save this and send it to all my friends on my e-mail........ Love to all Debs Im so very glad you are here to share.. You have helped me so very much to have the strength and courage to do what I need to do to take care of my own sobriety..... Debs
Old 06-23-2006, 12:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Old and in the Way

Great stuff Don. I'm going to pass it along.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

George Carlin is someone I look of to he is a wordsmith for sure and very intelligent. Many people don't like him for his pessemistic views but his stand up is some of the most insightful stuff (and hilarious) I have ever heard.

If you haven't heard his poes called "modern man" I suggest you google it in and read it.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Resentment Building

This is awsome.

One question - who is George Carlin ??
Old 06-23-2006, 03:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Aristo, he is a comedian from mostly the 70's and 80's. Like many of us, he has suffered with addiction. Some don't like him because of the words he uses but, he's one of those people that can use 4 letter words and for some reason don't seam as bad. He has one skit that explains all the words can and can't be used on TV. This depends on the context. Example, ASS, You can say on TV " You're being a real ass" but, you can't say "I want a piece of ASS. He procedes with a statement about prejudices and words that shouldn't be used. Then goes on to make a statement using every single one of them. He has also written a few books, which I'm going to put on my reading list. There is one skit about the family dog, that'll have you laughing and identifying. I think that is the best way I can describe him. You not only laugh but, you can relate and identify with his material. Most rental stores have his material. Don w
Old 06-23-2006, 04:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Carlins best stuff was in the early 90's in my opinion....but I am young and didn't grow up with his old hippy dippy weather man stuff
Old 06-23-2006, 04:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

tryingtolive, Your right he was good in the early 90's. I mentioned 70's and 80's because that was on the paper the VA passed out. I think much of what I like most likely was from the 90's myself. Don
Old 06-23-2006, 05:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Don. I LOVED that. It sure puts things in perspective doesn't it.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Thank you Don

Pull each line apart and reverse the trend, we can live life well.

I think that is what you started the other day...we buy more, but enjoy less.
You asked for pictures that make us laugh. That is a good way to start enjoying things more. Yes we need to stop and smell the roses. Not just take a sniff but stop and really look and see how each petal is colored and made.

Thank you Don
Old 06-23-2006, 11:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This was actually written by Dr. Bob Moorehead, former pastor of Seattle's Overlake Christian Church. (He retired in 1998 after 29 years in that post).
Old 06-24-2006, 12:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Remember; spend some time with your loved ones, because they are not going to be around forever.

Remember, say a kind word to someone who looks up to you in awe, because that little person soon will grow up and leave your side.

Remember, to give a warm hug to the one next to you, because that is the only treasure you can give with your heart and it doesn't cost a cent.

Remember to hold hands and cherish the moment for someday that person will not be there again.

Remember, to say, " I love you" to your partner and your loved ones, but most of all mean it. A kiss and an embrace will mend hurt when it comes from deep inside of you.

Give time to love, give time to speak! And give time to share the precious thoughts in your mind.
Something I saw in my dogs and placed in marriage was that dogs never forget to greet their loved ones - they never forget, never too busy.

It's only a thought but I don't think it's tall buildings or learning that takes us away from simply loving - I think posiible it's just a forgetfullness. Like misssing a beautiful dawn chorus.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
To Life!

Originally Posted by Aristo
This is awsome.

One question - who is George Carlin ??

Gotta catch some of his stuff...like his "Stuff" routine! lol! :>)
Or the seven words you can't say on TV.

Shalom!
Old 06-24-2006, 05:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I like George Carlin, and Galagher (whatever happened to him?). Carlin was on Leno last week, and still relevant and still funny.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks Don S. I'm not sure why the V A attribuated it to George Carlin. Or maybe Carlin was quoting from Dr. Morehead and maybe the V A left out the
fact. Either way, it is a good tool to inventory our own life and improve where needed. Don W