Notices

The man in the hole

Old 02-13-2003, 05:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The man in the hole

I'm not very good at telling stories,but I heard this one in AA a few years ago.

I only remembered it today when someone asked me why AA worked for me.

A drunk was walking home one night when he fell into a deep hole in the ground and after struggling for many hours was unable to climb out.

Eventually he decided to settle down for the night and wait until morning.

The next morning a man appeared and asked what he was doing in the hole.

"Well I've fallen in and I can't get out.Could you help me please?"

"Of course." replied the man,tossing a book down to him."Here is a Bible,read it and you will be able to climb out."

Then he continued on his way.

Eventually a second man appeared also wanting to know what he was doing in the hole.

"Well I've fallen in and I can't get out.Could you help me please?"

"Why,certainly!"Declared the man,throwing a length of rope to him "This will surely help you."

And he too continued on about his business.

Finally evening came.A man on his way to an AA meeting passed and saw our friend tired hungry and still in the hole.

"I've fallen in and I cant get out."cried the man one last time."Could you help me please".

At which point the man promptly jumped down in the hole beside him.

"Come my friend," he said."We'll climb out together."

Peter.
Old 02-13-2003, 05:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Peter

Great story, That realy tells it the way its been for me.

Thanks
Old 08-27-2005, 06:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dan

Old 08-27-2005, 07:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

I've also heard an alternate ending:

At which point the man promptly jumped down in the hole beside him.

The man cried "What the H%$^ did you do that for! Now we are both down here."

The A.A. member replied simply "I know the way out."
Old 09-01-2005, 06:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Peter, you are a great story teller. And I loved the story. Problem is, I don't really want anyone else in this hole with me. I want to get out by myself. I guess that is one of my problems, and this hole just keeps getting deeper. I better figure out a way to let others in. Part of the problem is, in my family, you don't admit to being a failure or having shortcomings. It just isn't done. So if I am not okay, that's not okay. Thanks for the story anyway.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

purgatory

Originally Posted by mbtired
Part of the problem is, in my family, you don't admit to being a failure or having shortcomings. It just isn't done. So if I am not okay, that's not okay. Thanks for the story anyway.
What does this mean? Your family members "can hold their drink" so not being able to drink is a sign of a weakness? I doubt it... so unless it is a matter of a family presige (to be able to drink until the dawn) there aren't any shortcomings if you would decide to quit drinking.

Obviously you can't ask for a help (full disclosure might not be perceived as "okay") there - but there are so many other places. You always can "discover" the beauty of natural juices and bore everyone to death explaining why from now on, you'd prefer juices over a shoot or a beer. And somewhere near here is the key - the booze needs a powerful replacement in order to be kept away.

For some AA works, for so many others the God is a solution and for a pagan like myself those juices performed a miracle

Or, the bottom line - take care of yourself; then you'll be able to care of the whole world...
Old 09-01-2005, 08:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Originally Posted by mbtired
I better figure out a way to let others in. Part of the problem is, in my family, you don't admit to being a failure or having shortcomings. It just isn't done. So if I am not okay, that's not okay.
mbtired, I hear you loud and clear. Exactly the same in my family. We don't have problems, so we don't talk about problems. Or as my sister who is still out drinking even though she has been hospitalized several times for liver problems likes say,

"I hate admitting I'm an alcoholic 'cause I think our parents raised us to be better drinkers than that."

I found it very hard to let other people into my life at first. However, I do not regret doing it for one minute. Other people have played such a big part in my recovery that while I might still be dry without them, I would not be nearly as happy as I am today. And it's not just the not drinking thing that I owe to other people. I've found a closeness with people that I never found when I was using.

One Love, One Heart,
Tony
Old 09-01-2005, 01:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

there was one
about a man walking down the street
he doesn't see the hole
he falls in
then
he's walking down the street
he tries to walk around the hole
it's too big
he falls in
and so on
finally
he takes another street

it was about 5 paragrahs
but very inspirational
all you got to do
is take a different street
instead
of keep falling in the same hole

thanks
fraankie
Old 09-01-2005, 01:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

mb sounds like it is with my family

they drive you into the hole
someone jumps in to save him
and
he says
"i don't want to climb out"
or
"i like it here"
Old 09-02-2005, 09:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks you guys. I don't think I'll ever be able to come clean with my family. So I guess I better get clean myself. I fantasize sometimes about just blurting it our to my Mom or my Sis. But I can't do that to my Mom, and my Sis? I just don't think so. Anyway you all make me feel so much better and not alone. Have a great weekend everyone.

Marilyn
Old 09-02-2005, 09:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You are getting out by yourself casue even if someone else jumps in dosen't mean you'll take there help. It's really about helping yourself through understanding in other peoples problems that you see in yourself.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

talking to family can be hard but do you have a group that you go to that maybe they could go with to see what's going on? Also the people that don't want to admit their own problems.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My Mom is in assisted living and just is getting through the death of my father from Alzhiemers. My sis lives half a country away and is the achiever in the family. She has no real problems as I can see it, at least not with the demons. I am the handler of all things and she has the good job. Do I sound bitter. Maybe I am. Sorry.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

So what the guy was powerless?? I mean **** the Bible or the rope shoulda been enough, it was more then I ever got. x cuse me but I wasnt powerless, hope springs eternal after all., jackf