Notices

alcoholism

Old 02-09-2003, 02:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
corry

alcoholism

hi everyone its been three days just got out of detox was soper fore thirteen yrs i feel very sad that i failed myself having hard time

Old 02-09-2003, 02:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Corry,

Welcome to the recovery forums. Your story is one I hear too often and it is very scary. I think we get to a point where we think we are infallable and that's where we get into trouble. I relapsed after a good deal of time too, not as much as you but it still stung just the same. I can honestly say that that particular relapse saved my life. It gave me a different perspective in recovery this time around. I also learned about the importance of humility and remaining teacheable. I also developed a relationship with a higher power which I hadn't done in my previous sobriety.

All I am saying is that sometimes relapses can turn out positive. I'm glad you found your way back and I hope you keep posting and stick around here. We have a lot of recovery here and a lot of support.

Don't beat yourself up too much, what I tried to do was just keep putting one foot infront of the other and before you know it you will have put together some sobriety once again. You didn't fail in my opinion. I think sometimes relapsing becomes part of our story. For me I think it was essential in coming to believe in a power greater than myself. .
Old 02-09-2003, 02:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Corry

Welcome to the boards, and back to sobriety.

Don't be so hard on yourself, you can't change the past, and this disease is verry cunning, I dont know how you stayed sober before, were you in A.A. ?
if so maybe a good look at what happened in that last year of sobriety may shed some light on why you went out, and help you this time.

hang in there, your not alone.