Notices

Questions about recovery

Old 02-01-2006, 06:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Questions about recovery

My father has been an alcoholic for all of my life. I am 31 and I know that the has been drinking since before I was born. On Monday, he enter rehab and went straight to detox. Today they moved him to rehab. From what I understand he is doing well. I want to understand- or at least try to understand what he is going through. Can someone please help me to get a better understanding of the process of rehab and what he is going through. Also, how can we help support him during this difficult time.

My dad is a great man, a vetran of our country, and a loving father. However, when he drinks, which was nightly, he becomes a different person. I am so proud of the decision that he has made to make the change. I am glad that my daughter will have the opprotunity to see the great man that he is during the day and night.

Any information that can be given to help me understand will be appreciated. I know that I can never fully grasp what he is going through, but I want to try.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

visit him
offer ot go to an AA meeting with him
have a super birthday party for him

rehab is nothing
it's when he gets out that's tough
call every night
don't let him isolate
and
don't be a nag, either

tell him
"I love you, Dad"
and give him a hug

all stuff they never did for me

best
fraankie
Old 02-02-2006, 03:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I never went to rehab. Some people love it, I think most do. Here your dad will learn a lot, and will give him a good foundation to build a better life for himself - if that is what he wants. He will be going through a lot of changes, doing a lot of thinking, but be kept busy by chores etc. Will also go to AA, no doubt, where he will be introduced to the steps and meetings.

This could be the best thing you dad ever did. I hope so! Good luck!
Old 02-02-2006, 04:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good luck to your dad! That really is a great decision of him. I've never been to rehab either tho so I can't tell you what happens there. My wild guess is a detox under medical supervision and then intensive therapy/treatment and all.