Notices

Advice on medication for Alcoholism

Old 01-17-2006, 11:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice on medication for Alcoholism

Are there any meds available for alcoholics to help with the withdrawal etc....
Old 01-17-2006, 11:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

If a heavy drinker that is dependent on alcohol, a detox center is the safest, as alcohol DTs can be dangerous.
If it is a matter of discomfort only, plenty of water, vitamins -such as a daily multi, proper meals-healthy food choices.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just to add to what best said, some people here have mentioned getting prescriptions for medication to reduce anxiety; I can't remember which ones, though. There are medications to help with urges and reduce the mental 'fog' that sometimes happens when you quit. Ask your doctor about naltrexone and acamprosate.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The advice is for my BF really...he knows I post here and asked me to ask...

He has anxiety/panic attacks and I suspect some depression...although he says he cannot take medication for these problems as he drinks..

Do you know if the medication you mentioned is available in the UK?

We're hoping to go see a GP about this but would like to be at least partially informed beforehand
Old 01-18-2006, 12:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) can be helpful for anxiety and depression (and substance abuse). Ask your doctor. I believe acamprosate is available in UK; naltrexone almost certainly is.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you
Old 01-18-2006, 12:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey, let us know how it goes! Thanks for posting,
Old 01-18-2006, 02:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Requires Adult Supervision

Here is my advice. As it was given to me.
1. Get yourself to meetings, every day at least once a day.
2. Get a sponsor.
3. Start working the 12 steps as fast as you can. This is where the real relief begins.
The medications will only treat the symptoms, not the causes. That’s what the 12 steps are for. My opinion is to stay away from the meds all together. It’s like trading one addiction for another and that’s not good. I used to have wicked anxiety and panic attacks. Only through working the 12 steps of AA, as written did I come to know any true relief. You can mask your problems with drugs, but what good is that? NONE.
TonyB
Old 01-18-2006, 05:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would see a professional about whether you need medication or not. Crappy withdrawal symptoms are par for the course however for the very hardcore alcoholics medical supervision maybe required. When I quit I had the DT's not just a little shaking but convulsions.

The fact is in the early days of AA, members would do *12 step calls with a micky in their back pocket to help ease the more severe cases. However YOU SHOULDN'T DO THIS. IF it is required medical professions have better methods but for most people no medication is required, a little shake, rattle and roll for the first few days and the worst is over.

*A 12 step call is when a sober member of AA goes out to meet someone who needs help for the first time.