Notices

Help me sleep........PLEASE!!!

Old 01-03-2006, 09:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help me sleep........PLEASE!!!

Oh, I sure hope someone can help me out with something VERY effective. I have been sober for almost 3 months now. Lately, I have been FILLED with energy, which is not a bad thing..........except for when I should be sleeping!!!

I get tired, go to bed, then toss and turn for at LEAST an hour or so. Last night, I went to bed at 10:15 and the last time I checked the clock before finally falling asleep was 2:30 a.m.!!! I had to wake for the day at 5:25 a.m. I NEED TO GET SOME SLEEP!!! LOL............But seriously, what's the deal??? Ok, ok, I definately have some pretty difficult things on my mind lately.......so that might have a lot to do with it............

Bottom line.......I need suggestions on some safe sleep aids or tricks or WHATEVER???

Well, thanks in advance to any suggestions!!
Old 01-03-2006, 09:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Still learning; ever grateful

Hey Skinner. If you haven't already, do a search for "PAWS". It's Post Accurte Withdraw Syndrome. The effects of stopping alcohol can catch up to you no matter how much sobriety you have under your belt. I feel for ya!!

What I've found that helps - doing SOME sort of excercise. Even a 20 min. walk helps; just don't do it right before bedtime.

My new "poison" at night is this Celestial Seasonings tea called "Sleepytime". It has no caffeine, and the herbal stuff in it (camomile, etc.) really do have calming effects. As a last resort, I read before going to bed, or whenever I wake up in the middle of the night.

You might even wanna ask your doc for some non-addictive sleep aids(?) They have them advertised and they're approved by the FDA.

Good luck and think good thoughts! CONGRATS ON 3+ MONTHS!! Woo hooo!

Hugs,
Old 01-03-2006, 09:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well thanks daddysgirl........all good advice. I actually already do exercise in the evening. As a matter of fact, last night, when my sleeplessness was the worst it's been, I had been on my eliptical machine for 30 minutes around 8:30........soooooo guess I'm gonna have to try that tea!!

Oh, AND I'm gonna have to learn how to shut my brain up......gotta stop all that darn THINKING I'm always doing!!
Old 01-03-2006, 09:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Hi Skinner
This REALLY works....warm up some milk and mash a banana into it...I did you not, the potassium reacts with the milk and it's like a natural knocker-outer!
Good luck!
Cathy31
x
Old 01-03-2006, 09:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Chy

Boy it took me a very long time to get a decent nights sleep. Long time. I used melatonin for awhile as it does help initially but then looses it's benefits after awhile. What worked for me was grueling exercise. Yes, try some of the various mediative techniques.. quiet the mind before you lay down, journaling is very therapeutic to get it all on paper before you go to sleep so you feel like you've left "it" all somewhere else and your mind can slow down. It will get better. Congrats on 3 months.. good for you!
Old 01-03-2006, 11:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Skinner...

Here is the link for PAWS..

http://www.tlctx.com/ar_pages/paw_part1.htm

And....Sleep Link

http://www.well.com/user/mick/insomnia

Hugs....
Old 01-03-2006, 11:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I take a prescription sleep aid. Ambien. It is not addictive (my Dr. says). It helps you to fall asleep and stay asleep. I've had problems with insomnia for years and this is the only thing that has ever helped me.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Michael

MAny years ago I got myself really stressed out with driving all day in city traffic. I developed an ulcer and went to my Dr's. He gave me medication for the ulcer and asked me to see the practice psychologist. She gave me a relaxation tape that worked a treat. It was a very simple system of concentrating on the muscles in your body starting from the toes to the feet to the calves and so on until you got to your scalp. The system involved you concentrating on the muscles one group at a time and positively relaxing them. By the time you get to your head neck and scalp you are so relaxed that you drop straight off to sleep.
The benefit of relaxation therapy is that you need not worry about any medication.
Another way of getting off is to get into a set routine at night, going to bed at a certain time, reading for say five or ten minutes and then closing your eyes. This also works well for me, especially if the book is a bit on the dry side.
I have also used the technique of deliberately thinking of nothing. It is self-explanatory but quite hard to do. With practice you can stop you mind racing off on tangents when you should be sleeping.
Hope some of this helps, sweet dreams
Michael
Old 01-03-2006, 02:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

I have tried warm milk and honey before - worked for me. And/or reading a text book for uni work - this works a treat. Have also tried the relaxation method suggested.

Exercise gets me all energetic and doesn't put me to sleep so I avoid it towards bed time.

love brigid
Old 01-03-2006, 08:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Living and Loving.

One thing that knocks me out faster than you can blink an eye is Benedryl for allergies. I don't know if this is something that would be classified as substance abuse... but you use Asprin for more than just a headache... why not benedryl for an over-the-counter sleep aid.

Hope you get sweet dreams soon skinner!

Suga

PS Cathy that banana & milk thing sounds delicious. hehe Gonna try that next time I can't sleep!
Old 01-04-2006, 03:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Since stopping drinking I have terrible problems going to sleep. Generally I find over the counter sleep-aids help to some extent... but I find I usually have to take a larger dosage than the recommended amount.

Are you on any other medications, Skinner?
Old 01-04-2006, 04:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

This is what I would do...

Get a copy of the book "War and Peace" by Leo Tolstoy and put it on your night table and start reading it every night in bed and see if you don't start falling asleep with the book in your hand...
Old 01-04-2006, 04:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Originally Posted by splendra
This is what I would do...

Get a copy of the book "War and Peace" by Leo Tolstoy and put it on your night table and start reading it every night in bed and see if you don't start falling asleep with the book in your hand...

LOL! I even tried it on Audio CD while driving in my car, and it practically put me to sleep, bound to work!!! Crime and Punishment, is almost, if not quite as boring. (philistine Cath, but just not into Russian Lit!)
Old 01-04-2006, 11:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey, thanks for all the suggestions folks!! I'm definately gonna try some of these suggestions........I particularly like the "War and Peace" and "Crime and Punishment" suggestions!!

Oh, by the way, Drencrom.....nope, I'm not on any meds. I just have a LOT on my mind lately. That, coupled with a VERY energetic personality (I swear I must have adult ADD!!) sleep just seems to not want to take any precidence in my life at the moment. Although, I DID fall asleep rather quickly last night (got an entire 5 hrs of uninterupted sleep!!) due to a gigantic emotional "hangover"!!

I think MY solution is to figure out how to just get OVER the drama!!

Thanks again to you all!!