Notices

Kudzu pills?

Old 12-19-2005, 10:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Kudzu pills?

I haven't seen any mention of this in any other threads, so I thought I'd bring it up.
Have any of you heard that kudzu pills (that's right, extracted from the kudzu plant) can help reduce cravings for alcohol? I have tried them, and they do seem to slow down how much I want to drink. I can't really explain the sensation, but the pills have worked somewhat for me.
you can only find them in select healthfood stores, i've noticed.
could be helpful for some of you who would at least begin to cut down on how much you drink.

wren
Old 12-20-2005, 05:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I 've heard about them but never tried it. I got sober before they came on the market but knowing me I would have tried anything to be able to control my drinking.

Get as much info as you can about them, especially side effects.I too would love to hear from anybody else who has tried it.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Wren & Peter,

I am a professional alternative healthcare provider (with a specialization in Western and Indian, not Japanese/Chinese herbs, nutrition and liefstyle)and although
I am not sure what specific action in the body kudzu has, I can tell you one of the ways a phytonutrient blend helps to reduce cravings: Alcohol converts to sugar, so its considered a liquid sugar. After excessive consumption of sugars, the internal balance of yeasts and enzymes is thrown off, creating a proliferation of systemic yeast called candida. This condition is called candidiasis.
Symptoms of candidiasis are exactly the same as intoxication and hangover: mental fog, headache, irritability, fatigue, sweat, and from there the list grows as the condition prevails, it deepens into neurological, brain, digestive, and circulatory systems. The withdrawal from its food source, sugar, creates the craving for more. Its as if you will die without another hit, fix, or dose of the energy source (sugar).
This model is used by master herbalists and nutritionists, along with a solid recovery program for the underlying spiritual and emotional issus.
The theory being that candida that lives and grows in the liver is some of the most persistent to reduce and rebalance, but there are plants found in nature to help with this. Once the candida is under control, the symptoms of cravings abate.
There is a GREAT !!! product I use from Kroeger Herbs called Stay Sober. It works, and my eyesight even improved within 1 week.

I hope this is helpful
MC
Old 12-20-2005, 06:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to see you again Wren....

Like Peter....I got sober before they were available.

In early recovery . I timed my cravings.
Mine were 5/7 minutes in duration.
I can overcome most things for that short time!

I took action during that space.
Brushing my teeth...eating a Lifesaver...drinking water
(notice the oral connection?)

The longer I stayed sober they lessened in both frequency and intensity.

Keep going forward...
Old 12-20-2005, 07:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

FOR ME...
my real problem lies in my mind (obsession), which tells me it's OK to drink, rather than in my body, which ensures it cannot (physical craving).

While something to help alcoholic cravings may help initially, I firmly believe that as alcoholics we need a program to tame the mental obsession. Alcoholics Anonymous does that for me...

MC... I do like your discussion... I could use a product like that right now for my SUGAR ADDICTION. Sometimes I hate this time of year, because my diet shifts so drastically and I truly do become addicted to sugar. It's time for a shift, I just can't wait for New Year's....

Ken
Old 12-20-2005, 08:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Ken and all,

I too definitely agree, that AA or another complete, honest, vigilant support system of total abstinence and spiritual self growth is essential, and must be the primary treatment for this disease.

For me, the underlying all pervasive disease is in my thinking. All of my own healing, or recovery is about healing my mind, healing my spirit, and healing my body. DAILY. Moment to moment.

I wouldnt be sober without the energy, love and support of AA. I was 13 years sober when I experimented with dropping this (AA) program, but clinging to just the other modifications, and guess what? I went right back out there, for 3 and a half years.

I am lucky I cought myself before terrible external losses occured but I learned how to catch myself through this beautiful program.

That said, certain food choices, herbs and other things like exercise help me feel even better. YAY.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by miss communicat
After excessive consumption of sugars, the internal balance of yeasts and enzymes is thrown off, creating a proliferation of systemic yeast called candida. This condition is called candidiasis.
Isn't this the same thing that causes yeast infections?

DK
Old 12-20-2005, 04:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hi dk

yes. it is
Old 12-20-2005, 10:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

A little information from the 'net:

What interactions should I watch for?

Prescription Drugs

In studies and case reports, kudzu has been shown to increase the time blood needs to clot. When it is taken with antiplatelet or anticoagulant drugs, the effect of the drug may be increased, resulting in uncontrolled bleeding.

* Antiplatelet agents include Plavix and Ticlid
* Anticoagulants include heparin and warfarin

Because it may have a lowering effect on blood sugar, kudzu may increase the effectiveness of medications used for the treatment of diabetes. Individuals using insulin or taking oral medications for diabetes should talk to their doctors or pharmacists before using kudzu.

In animal studies, kudzu has had effects on blood vessel tone, heart rate, and heart rhythm. Potentially, these effects could interfere with drugs used to treat heart conditions including angina, arrhythmias, congestive heart failure, and high blood pressure. If you take any drugs for heart problems or if you are not sure whether any of your medications is for a heart condition, discuss the use of kudzu with your doctor or pharmacist before you begin to take it.

Non-prescription Drugs

Kudzu can affect the ability of blood to clot after an injury. Aspirin can also delay clotting, so kudzu should not be taken at the same time as aspirin.

Herbal Products

Theoretically, if kudzu is used with other herbs that affect blood clotting, bleeding may occur. Some of the most common herbal products that might inhibit blood clotting are:

* Danshen
* Devil's Claw
* Garlic
* Ginger (in large amounts)
* Ginkgo
* Ginseng
* Horse Chestnut
* Papain
* Red Clover
* Saw Palmetto

Some interactions between herbal products and medications can be more severe than others. The best way for you to avoid harmful interactions is to tell your doctor and/or pharmacist what medications you are currently taking, including any over-the-counter products, vitamins, and herbals. For specific information on how kudzu interacts with drugs, other herbals, and foods and the severity of those interactions, please use our Drug Interactions Checker to check for possible interactions.
Summary

Kudzu has been promoted for relieving hangovers and lessening the effects of alcohol ingestion. Taken by mouth, it may also treat heart conditions, lower blood sugar levels, alleviate some symptoms of menopause, and lessen the pain associated with migraine headaches.

Risks

Individuals who have conditions, such as endometriosis and reproductive cancers, that may be worsened by estrogen-like effects should not take kudzu. Women who are pregnant or breast-feeding and children who are under 12 years of age should also avoid kudzu. If individuals with diabetes take it, they should also check their blood sugar levels carefully to make sure they do not develop hypoglycemia.

Side Effects

Mild and temporary anemia is the main side effect that has been reported from taking recommended doses of kudzu. No information is available about possible side effects from large or prolonged dosing.

Interactions

Because it may lower blood sugar levels, kudzu may enhance the effectiveness of insulin and oral medications for diabetes. It may also affect the actions of antiplatelet agents, anticoagulants, certain herbal supplements, and drugs used for various heart conditions.

http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/DVH/HerbsInteractions/0,3926,552062|Kudzu,00.html
Old 12-21-2005, 10:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thanks, Don. I didn't know about all of that.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have been using Kudzu since Nov 27. I take 2 750 mg at 8:30am and 2 more at 2:30pm. I am having a lot of success with them. I am on day 6 of sobriety, what a surprise. I normally do not make it past day 3. I have tried for years to cut back/stop etc. The kudzu honestly lessens the cravings for alcohol. I will think about a nice big drink after work and my mind is saying.....blah....don't really feel like it. I'm not kidding. Trust me, if my mind even gave me an inkling to have a drink, I would.
I also had some acupunture done for addiction, and I really think that has helped also. (that includes 5 needles around the ear area). Between the two I'm hanging in there. I actually came across this board while on a search for info about kudzu.
If anyone out there is trying to cut down on their alcohol intake please give kudzu a try. Take 2x a day, inbetween meals.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

daygrl ....Welcome to SR and our Alcoholism Forum...

Glad to know your are sober...Congratulations!