Notices

salt-restricted diet

Old 10-28-2005, 08:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

salt-restricted diet

about six months ago, I finally went to see a doctor about my high normal blood pressure

perhaps because of my 10-drinks-a-day habit that had been going on for a couple years, she asked me what my quitting date would be, if I would go to AA, whether I had considered residential detox or would otherwise seek treatment

then as now I was interested in moderation, not abstinence, but her extreme recommendations did help to give me a boost in the right direction

also, she said I should stop using salt

since then I have been using a lot less salt than previously ... I had been a wino chef who of course preferred to use sea salt ... went out and got a couple herbal (not potassium-based) salt substitutes ... am checking labels for sodium content, keeping in mind the recommended 2-3 grams per day

where I'm heading with this is that becoming less habitual with the salt helped me become less habitual with the beer and wine, or there was something to compare notes with

also I noticed that salt can lead to overeating just as much as booze can

I'm not expressing this well but it's something like trying to cut down on these two different things with different "grips" has been helping me to become less habitual in general

Kevin
Old 10-29-2005, 05:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
sober in KY

I don't have any answers, but I am interested in what you are saying. I am like a salt addict! Other people crave sweets; I crave SALT.

Just bumping this up in case someone has an answer for us!

~ashes
Old 10-29-2005, 09:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

All I know is when I quit using salt....my BP still required medication.

When I quit drinking...years later...my BP fell into the normal range quickly without meds.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ashes, if it's a salt craving and not just a habit, you should probably ask your doctor about it

it might indicate some kind of kidney trouble, since that's the organ that regulates how much salt the body retains (I'm not a doctor ... that's something I read a couple months ago while I was googling for salt-free recipes)

Carol, I suspect the same would happen with my BP if I were to quit ... in fact, the times when I did go 3 or 4 days without a drink, my BP went back down to about 120/75

but I guess I'd rather spend about $200 a month on beer and wine, plus whatever it costs for the supplements I started taking to counteract the damage and reduce the craving

it seems like there's something wrong with this equation, but it might take me some time to figure it out ...