Notices

Milk thistle and liver recovery?

Old 10-17-2005, 09:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Milk thistle and liver recovery?

Hi all,

A friend of mine says that he takes milk thistle to protect his liver.

He is not an alkie -far from it, just aware of his body's health more than some, I suppose.

Anyway, what's the view here on using milk thistle in respect of alcohol recovery?

Phillips

Last edited by Phillips; 10-17-2005 at 09:11 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-17-2005, 09:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

It helps to support and detoxify the liver...
Old 10-17-2005, 09:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

well you got a really smart friend
what does he take to protect
his stomach from cancer, digestive problems
his kidneys, lungs, heart, brain, etc
as alcohjol is digested into the bloodstream
as in
it is going thru your whole body
basically causing damage

it might be an extreme view but,.......
Old 10-17-2005, 09:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's quite a sharp response Frankie, I just wondered if milk thistle had a place in the recovering from alcohol abuse.

As for the other organs in the body, perhaps someone could ask pertinent questions about what you can do to help support and and help them in their recovery too.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've heard that there's fair preliminary evidence for the possibility that milk thistle can help heal a liver damaged by alcoholic drinking or hepatitis B & C, but that there's a significant lack in good, high-quality clinical data. That is to say.... there seems to be anecdotal evidence that it might help, but no one seems to have backed this up sufficiently science-wise yet.

And... as with all herbal products, buyer beware - active ingredients can and do vary widely even from bottle to bottle. Review the literature carefully and speak with your physician before you embark on herbal supplementation - just my opinion!
Old 10-17-2005, 10:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Chy

Thumbs up here!
Old 10-17-2005, 11:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thumbs up here too! it's recommended by various treatment places and by BACKUP the cancer society here in the UK, my partner used it while detoxing and is now the picture of health
Old 10-17-2005, 11:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by quercusalba
And... as with all herbal products, buyer beware - active ingredients can and do vary widely even from bottle to bottle. Review the literature carefully and speak with your physician before you embark on herbal supplementation - just my opinion!
Yes, there was something on the radio about something similar (unregulated herbal medicines), so this is sound advice.

Thanks chy and 1408 for the replies too.

Phillips
Old 10-17-2005, 12:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Been there and done.

I take Milk Thistle. I can't find any negatives on taking it and more than a little evidence that it does support liver health. Milk Thistle has been used for centuries as a tonic for liver health. Apparently it helps strengthen liver cell membranes, whatever that is.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

oooppppssss!
sorry
i misunderstood
thought
his friend was taking milk thistle
to protect his liver
while drinking
or
something like that

the other replies are right on track

best
fraankie
Old 10-17-2005, 02:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Nasa calls it "The Eye Of God"

I've been taking Milk Thistle since my sobriety date after reading about it on a thread here on SR. I've been taking two a day but after I finish what I have I left I don't think I'll continue. I think my liver is doing pretty good now.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I have taken Milk thistle for many years I like to use standardized tinctures from a trusted Naturpathic Doctor but, I also have been to known to use teas and make it as strong or weak as I want it to be. I took it more when I first got clean than I do now but I still take it every spring. It is also good for the intestines.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Actually though there are people out there who seem to swear by Milk Thistle...there is very little clinical data out there to support it actually does help "detoxify" the liver so to speak. Most studies on it show success rates that aren't higher than standard placebo effects.

Here is one example

http://www.ahrq.gov/clinic/epcsums/milktsum.htm

For me I would suggest that the main reason it probably seems to work for people is that people who take it seem to be more "health conscious" overall..and probably make better health decisions. If you eat healthy, excersise regularly....that's probably going to be much more benefical to you than if you take some of these herbal products like Milk Thistle
Old 10-17-2005, 11:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Fraankie, it's ok, I know where you're coming from, and if this friend was an abuser I'd say you were spot on with your observations.

In fact, like SPF77, above, says, he is possibly more health concsious than many, as is his partner and the whole family perhaps.

I'm not sure his motivation for taking milk thistle - that's different from understanding any benefits though.

Well, I for one might look into it, and see if my doc would support me in that - given that I take a bunch of other tablets for high blood pressure, cholesterol etc., and don't want to compromise those treatments.

Phillips
Old 10-18-2005, 06:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Phillips and welcome. I use Milk Thistle and see no harm, if there are positive effects I am all for it. Also artichoke may be helpful, see the following.

http://www.rain-tree.com/artichoke.htm

It is food after all so why not? Can also be taken in tablet form. From what I understand the first problem to show up can be fatty liver. Lecithin can help to correct this. See the book Prescription for Nutritional Healing, James F. Balch, M.D.
Something you can do to give your liver a break is to consume plenty of raw vegetables and fruits, and lay off red meat and fats of all kinds.

I am 34 days sober and already my blood pressure has normalized. I get results of my liver function tests tomorrow. Good luck and good heath to you.

Marilyn
Old 10-18-2005, 06:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I wonder about FDA approval... if milk thistle had some kind of compound that could be patented I think it would be approved much faster. Key in "side effects of milk thistle" on google and see what you come up with....
Old 06-06-2006, 11:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi again,

I had a blood test the other day and the doc says that the liver enzyme is high - shold be up to 50, and mine is 61. I don't know what those numbers represent, just that mine shouldn't be 61!

I have been asked if I want to reduce or stop drinking, and I have said yes (not specifying to the doc which, but inwardly the latter, ie: stop.)

I'm a bit reluctanct to start using milk thistle, as I have been asked to chnage my drinking for a month and then go back for another liver function test.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

elevated liver enzymes is sort of a generic finding. if you are 11 over 50, then your liver is over-reacting to something. if total abstainance from alcohol lowers your count, you have narrowed it down. besides, you have nothing to lose by quitting, right?

my doc says elevated levels are more common than you think. however, any elevation is never normal. it means that some damage, however minor, is occurring. it can be anything from too much beer to too many vitamins.

how bout a science fair project? quit drinking, and we will monitor your blood tests, all the while supporting you and providing hours of threaded entertainment. it's up to you, but i'm game
Old 06-07-2006, 01:59 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here is what scared me more than my liver..

http://www.alcohol-drug.com/neuropsych.htm
Old 06-07-2006, 02:07 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

i quit drinking because it made me agoraphobic. every night i drank, i knew the next day i would have dibilitating panic attacks - so i couldnt leave the house. so, i never would leave the house, because i was always drinking. quite a perpetual cycle.

i am living proof that your liver may be fine, but your brain will get the best of you.

and miraculously, a week of sobriety, i was cool as a cucumber, whatever that means.

thanks carol. there should be more emphasis on this aspect of alcoholism.