Notices

Worried about my wife

Old 10-11-2005, 07:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Worried about my wife

I think my wife might also be an alcoholic. I have asked her about it and she denies it which would be strange if it were true as she knows I suffer from alcoholism, so why deny it. However, recently she seems to be brushing her teeth a lot and rinsing with mouthwash a few times every evening. She says it's because she's just eaten something but it seems strange, she used to only brush twice a day. Now it seems to be 4-5 times per night.

Am I being paranoid here ? I can't smell any alcohol on her breath but I'm sure she shows symptoms of being under the influence by the end of the night. I should know because I used to try and hide the smell of drink from her. But if she is having problems, why not tell me. In a way if would be easier as we could help each other.

Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me, I don't know.

Any advice ?

thanks Lawry
Old 10-11-2005, 07:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lawry, having spent a good deal of my life around alcoholics who "tried to hide it" I can tell you that the truth comes out eventually.
Why would she deny it?
Denial is part of the disease.
I kind of doubt that your mind is playing tricks on you.
No one is better at spotting a drunk than another drunk.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Been there and done.

Lawry, if she is intoxicated by the end of the night then it does seem like she is trying to cover it up.

Part of the disease is the covering up and the denial. would try to get her to open up by sharing about yourself. Tell her about the things that you did and ask her if she ever acted that way too. Give her a way of opening up.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Gobble, Gobble

Hi lawry. Just jumping in with a thought of my own here. 1 thing that Gabe and Andrew didn't mention is this; if she is drinking, hiding or denying, she may not WANT help, may not want to quit. Hasn't hit her own 'bottom' yet. I just wanted to mention this in the even that you do confront her and she deny's the help you offer.

One thing you need to remember also is that you can't allow her use to affect your own sobriety.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lawry, there's something odd going on here, that's for sure. Perhaps she's not drinking, but has an eating disorder or something.

Even if she is drinking, you know as well as any that she has to be ready to stop.

Best of luck.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Lawry: It can be quite frustrating, maddening, etc I know. You have the advantage of knowing that until she's ready; she isn't ready.

Join us over at the Family and Friends site; there are lots of us going thru the same thing, eager to encourage you. I will be looking for you.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Definately odd behavior. But like the others have said, if it is drinking then she does not want help right now.

But that does not mean you can't watch her and call her out on it. The faster it gets into the open the sooner she is forced to face it. Then the decision is hers.